Dumb Question about weight..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question about weight..

Guys i have a question about bikes wt , My 73 sporty takes 2 guys to lift laying down, but what about say..... indians harleys in the 20s/30s ? Can they be lifted up by one guy? I can tell by looking at the 40s and beyond they are quite hefty...just curious...thanx brett

Dear Brett, the 1930s Harley VLs weigh 240 kg/540 pounds, which is 100 kg/220 pounds lighter than a heritage soft tail classic. The Indian Chiefs will be about the same, and the 1920s bikes maybe 50-100 pounds lighter depending on model. I've dropped these bikes and managed to lift them by myself, and it helps to have the front safety guards/crash bars fitted so they aren't completely flat on the ground. My books show a 1970s Sportster weighing around 545 pounds so similar to a 1930s Harley or Indian Big Twin. I guess that means you should be OK with a front safety guard on, or better still if you avoid dropping them. A smaller capacity bike, a bobbed bike or a 1920s example would be lighter, for instance my 1934 Harley VL bobber/racer comes in about 190 kg/420 pounds.

Comment

Keep this in mind, Brett; if you drop any bike in public, you will discover you possess super strength which will empower you to escape the laughter and humiliation of the event. . . I think we've all been there; along with too many beers
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Got one better Eric. Early twenties out riding bar to bar with the boys. Pull into the gas station, up to the pumps, almost to the door to pay for fuel, hear crash behind me, thought comes to mind, next time put down the side stand stupid.
        DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Keep this in mind, Brett; if you drop any bike in public, you will discover you possess super strength which will empower you to escape the laughter and humiliation of the event. . . I think we've all been there; along with too many beers
          HaHa yup been their...

Comment

Number of failed lifts ~ number of onlookers, similar to the "how many kicks does it take to start", which ~ the square of attractive women watching.
            The Linkert Book

Comment

I like the guys who tip over on the right, freak out, grab the bike with a dose of adrenaline and yank it up only to drop it on the left..... or vise versa!!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X