What Happend to Rhinebeck show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happend to Rhinebeck show

Guys i know this is old news to you guys about Rhinebeck Swap meet being no more. Me being a newbee to the club....What happened ?? Was it poor attendance? I mean i went to the may swap meet for cars for 30 yrs and it was packed. Not so much for the bikes but seemed to be enough people bikes and interest. I hope terryville ct turns out well, as i plan a attending...

Must be a big secret......

Comment

I went for a few years as well and always enjoyed it and it seemed crowded. I recall something about the orginal site which it was held out - perhaps they had conflicts for the preferred times ??? Isnt it being held this year but a a new site ??
      Maybe run a search since I think it was touched on in the past.
      Best
      Dan

Comment

No big secret. It had it's time and place and I thank the people that busted their asses to put it on. I never understood the whole super meet mentality. But to hold it at a uppity venue in Dutchess County was a total joke. The you can't leave police, The electrical police, the siren police. The don't you dare ride that skate board in here police while there's drunks flying all over the place on motorcycles ( This happened to my son Conner. Four of these assholes almost tackled him). The list was endless with these clowns. I was happy with the little meets. Last time I was there a couple of years ago. The gate at opening time on Friday morning had less than 10 ten people standing at it. As I'm writing this my wife and I are rolling just thinking of the total asininities that occurred during our visits there. I'll stop here. I'm having way to much fun. Did I mention the $6 clam hockey pucks they called hamburgers. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

While at Oley, they were pushing new AMCA national meet at Tompkins County Fairgrounds Trumansburg NY July 4 thru 7th, sounded good with 150 vendors signed up already.

Comment

The Empire Chapter used to do a National before Rhinebeck came along, and we're doing it again now that Rhinebeck is over. It's at the Trumansburg Fairgrounds (not Tompkins County). This is the Finger Lakes Region of N.Y., a beautiful area. There'll be a wine tour offered-by bus. Info is on the website: www.empirechapter.com.

Comment

The map on your website shows a road that is labeled "county fairgrounds", and the street address in MapQuest (2150 Trumansburg Rd.) is the address of the Tompkins County fairgrounds. Where are the Trumansburg Fairgrounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                No big secret. It had it's time and place and I thank the people that busted their asses to put it on. I never understood the whole super meet mentality. But to hold it at a uppity venue in Dutchess County was a total joke. The you can't leave police, The electrical police, the siren police. The don't you dare ride that skate board in here police while there's drunks flying all over the place on motorcycles ( This happened to my son Conner. Four of these assholes almost tackled him). The list was endless with these clowns. I was happy with the little meets. Last time I was there a couple of years a go. The gate at opening time on Friday morning had less than 10 ten people standing at it. As I'm writing this my wife and I are rolling just thinking of the total asininities that occurred during our visits there. I'll stop here. I'm having way to much fun. Did I mention the $6 clam hockey pucks they called hamburgers. Bob L
                Thanx for your honesty Robert. I being sort of a newbie here wasnt aware of all the problems that were encountered thier...brett

Comment

That road is the road inside the fairgrounds. I checked mapquest and google maps to be sure- they both call that address Trumansburg fairgrounds. That is the spot. As I understand it, there was a county fairgrounds in another part of the county, but it's no longer used.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                    No big secret. It had it's time and place and I thank the people that busted their asses to put it on. I never understood the whole super meet mentality. But to hold it at a uppity venue in Dutchess County was a total joke. The you can't leave police, The electrical police, the siren police. The don't you dare ride that skate board in here police while there's drunks flying all over the place on motorcycles ( This happened to my son Conner. Four of these assholes almost tackled him). The list was endless with these clowns. I was happy with the little meets. Last time I was there a couple of years ago. The gate at opening time on Friday morning had less than 10 ten people standing at it. As I'm writing this my wife and I are rolling just thinking of the total asininities that occurred during our visits there. I'll stop here. I'm having way to much fun. Did I mention the $6 clam hockey pucks they called hamburgers. Bob L
                    Totally agree and then some...

Comment

I agree, Bob. Most of us started with the AMCA at small meets where people could talk, make friends, and get to know the old bike culture. I think our hobby is getting smaller, and more of the big money people are going elsewhere and dumping what they have. I can see it on ebay and I think that may be a good thing. There never was a limitless number of old bikes, and I think there are more knuckleheads in the world today than H-D actually made
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Although been a AMCA for many years. Never thought to promote the vintage motorcycle. After all, if everybody liked Avery IPA? there would be less for me. And thanks to certain people, it only made it worse. I'm hoping the bottom will fall out and all the rich ass#*les will lose in the end. And Me? I'll get back what I paid for them 30 years ago. After all, it's not about monetary gain in my mind.
                        It's just junk iron.
                        AMCA #765

Comment

Howdy,
                          Totally agree with Bob L., Eric Smith & len dowe. I've been an AMCA member on & off since the 1970's. Unfortunately, you loose your original #status the 1st time you don't re-up. I'm posting some old footage of the Colonial Chapter AMCA National Meet from 1991. Almost 30 years ago, the meets might be similar, but the whole attitude & concept has changed. Maybe you'll remember some of the members filmed here? Total running length is about 50 minutes.
                          https://youtu.be/q32sgsLG--o >>Part 1.
                          https://youtu.be/6WbQOAIa9Do >>Part 2.
                          https://youtu.be/emUY01Fi47U >>Part 3.
                          https://youtu.be/ErpyBfxkYy8 >>Part 4.

*M.A.D.*
                          Last edited by JoJo357; 05-07-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

HiYa,
                            Here's a story some of you might, or might not remember?
                            Back around the late 1970's, Steve McQueen realized that there was not one Motorcycle Museum, fully dedicated to the American Ingenuity of 2 wheel travel located anywhere in the USA. So, with the help of close friends, Bud Ekins & Greer, they set out to collect Motorcycles for the Museum. So far so good, that is until some of the sellers got wind that McQueen's bankroll was buying M/C's left and right for the upcoming Museum. Some, but not all, began gouging the motorcycles, that at the time were un-popular, and fairly priced, just for the simple fact that they could cash in on Steve's quest & passion to build the 1st American Motorcycle Museum.
                            Today, and for quite a few years prior, that scenario is being repeated, only on a larger scale, where Greed has surpassed the Passion and comradely, and has no Limitations.

easyriders-steve-mcqueen-a-biker-s-biker-march-1981-center-pgs-missing-8b4349a29d0e8c4d566a0945f.jpg >>Easyriders issue.

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

JoJo, Thanks for the video post. I remember when it was like that. We held our first meet in 1982. If you come to Dixon you'll find it close to what it used to be like. We try to keep it that way on purpose. Small farm town fairgrounds. One hundred and seventy venders last year. We'll treat you like family because you are.
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                              X