Can You Help These Folks Out ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Help These Folks Out ??

The following request is posted on a few other sites at present and I thought it fitting to paste it on this forum also. Please take the time to read it. Thanks, Paps

I received a telephone call last night from a Bro and his wife in Seattle. I have known the two of them close to 40 years. Fact is, they are Kat's Uncle and Aunt. Both of them are the perfect definition of what a biker is. Age has taken it's toll on them and physical ailments have pretty much bled them dry. JC, Kat's Uncle, was a born to ride individual. Wild and free as a young man, two wheels were his first wheels. His last bike was a trike before his heart failed him. Once a patch wearer and always a biker there isn't much of the biker lifestyle the two of them hasn't experienced. The numerous operations, medication, doctor bills, and shipyard closing all but ate up his resources over the years. After having their only child, a son, the two settled down from the wild side of the biker scene in order to raise the boy and build a future for him. Their son, Brady, was born 09/07/70. Old friends were always friends and Brady grew up knowing everyone Mom and Dad knew. Brady was a mini biker from the time he first learned to walk. JC [Dad] and Mimi [Mom] say he rode before he walked. Brady was JC's and Mimi's pride and joy and they worshipped the ground he walked on with a love deeper than most have ever experienced.
    One unfortunate night in 1992, Brady was involved in a horrible auto accident. He was killed instantly. The loss of Brady nearly destroyed the two of them. The pain is still present to this day in their eyes when they speak or hear mention of him. Every vehicle fatality they see on the news or read in the papers, brings tears to their eyes for the folks who now know the dreadful pain of such a loss.
    When Brady was killed, they decided to have him cremated. Cremation was the only way they could keep a part of him with them. Brady is sealed in the original funeral urn and the urn rests in a special place in their home. The telephone call was a request on behalf of the two of them for Brady. I naturally agreed to their request, even before I heard what the request was. They wanted me to build them a permanent urn for the remains of their son Brady. The urn would have to be a special vessel which would incorporate the biker lifestyle and community as a dedication to the son they so loved.
    This is what they have in mind for Brady's urn..... Since Brady was born in 1970 and he loved Harley Davidson motorcycles as much as his parents did and do, they want to utilize a BT cylinder/head assembly as an urn. Since the design of the urn is still in the preliminary stages, ideas first put forth are things such as sealing the cylinder. Plugging and welding up the bottom of the bore, welding the valves to the seats, JB welding or super loctighting the head bolts down, and plugging and welding up the intake and exhaust ports, were the first parts of the design discussions. The spark plug opening will need to be left open so Brady can be put into the cylinder. Sealing the spark plug opening still needs to be ironed out as well. A spark plug cemented in was one suggestion. I was considering a more rigid seal such as a spark plug which was turned on a lathe and then soldered in or affixed in another permanent way. The cylinder, we decided, would need pressure/vacuum tested before Brady would be placed into it. It makes no difference whether a front or a rear cylinder assembly is used to JC or Mimi. All that matters to them is that it looks real nice, is complete as it would be on a running engine with all the components installed, minus a piston/rod, and it is mounted to a respectable solid oak wooden base. The wooden base will incorporate a set of name plates. The most prominent one will be Brady's name and details such as his birth and death, along with a parental comment about their son. The other name plate will respectfully thank all those who helped make this final resting place for Brady a reality. We hope to inscribe all the names of those who participated in the materials, labor and details of the urn.
    How much more fitting could such a request be, than for the biker community, as a whole, of which Brady was raised by and with, to respond with a small token of their hearts and generosity, and to supply the expertise, labor, materials, and suggestions for this final resting place urn ????
    People......we aren't talking new parts here. We are talking used and un-serviceable ones that you may have in you stashes and didn't have the heart to toss. Of course the cylinder would have to have no broken fins and the head would need to be clean and polishable [I can get it chromed if it is necessary], Nice pushrod tubes will be in order, sealable valves, etc.., and all other components which together will build this community biker urn will be needed. I wish I had the BT parts but unfortunately I have none. But rest assured, I will do all I can to bring this request to a reality for JC, Mimi, and Brady. I respectfully and humbly ask your help in making this come true for a pair of fellow bikers. I would be honored and grateful for any and all help which brings this task to life. Thanks in advance, Pa

As of now, a choice of one cylinder [one rear or one front, still to be determined] and pushrod covers have been donated towards this effort. Labor and skill has also been donated. Still needed are a head [front #16700-68A or rear #16702-68A] and a rocker box [front #17502-66 or rear #17500-66 ] depending on what head will be donated. Suggestions are welcome and many have been submitted already. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sincerely, Paps
Working...
X