dear abby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dear abby

dear abby , i recently aquired a barn fresh 48 chief that has been sitting since 1969. after a lot of work to get it running i finally got to take her for a spin and i noticed a severe shake in the front end at 55 mph . so..........off came the front end for a thorough inspection . i am now in the waiting stage for some new shackle bushings. they were a real pain to get out but i finallygot them with an easy out.do you know of a better way? i thought mabey running a wore out tap into the bushing and tapping the tap back out might have been a better way.,,,,,anxiously awaiting your reply, frustrated in the adirondacks

Well, an easy-out wouldn't work on the ones in my 47 Chief front end, so I made an off-set head punch with a reeeeal long reach. That, lots of break away fluid and time got them out cleanly.

Comment

If you have a metal lathe, turn a piece of stock that fits the hole size as best you can and fits the full length of the bushing and put a shoulder on it that is a little smaller than the OD of the bushing and goes the full length of the bushing also and push it out on a press. That is the clean, equipped shop solution. The dirty, cramped, cold garage with a 25 watt light bulb solution is to grind a bolt of the same bushing OD to match the previous description and smack the crap out of it with a ball peen (not recommended). If it shakes that bad, I would first look at the tires as the potential culprit or possibly water inside the tubes. Spin the wheels and look at them to see how true they are. If that checks good, look at the alignment between the front and rear wheels. Take your time and have fun fixing your bike.

Comment

thanks for the replys guys, i did have the rim trued and the neck and wheel bearings were in great shape ,i kind of figured that the old tire(sitting flat since 1969 )was the real culprit so i have installed new cokers.also upon removal of the tire tube i found a big pinch in it where the rubber was folded back on itself(creating excess weight in that area?)this tube is a strange one, it has a tube within a tube its called a goodyear lifeguard safety tube . when you inflate it you can hear the air pressure equalize inside it . has anyone out there ever heard of this animal.its kind of a predecessor to the inner liners that nascar uses today.

Comment

Dear Cheifrider,
          I feel the best thing for you to do to keep your life on an even keel and probably to keep you wife happy, is to sell the Cheif, as cheap as posibale, to LouieMCman, thus getting rid of all your frustrations and returning your life to the previously stress free state. Thanks.

Abby
          (Louie)

Comment

dear louie, i have thought long and hard,had several beers and contemplated the gains i may realize ,if i did in fact sell my 48 to you,im coming up with no comfort knowing i may well have to wait another 7 years before i find another chief(i waited 15 years for my 46)i sincerely appreciate your looking out for my well being and hoping i have a stress free marriage(is there such a thing?)

p,s i do have a 1941 ul with a hack i may be selling soon,i am looking for a scout or a sidecar for one of my chiefs.

Comment

Dear Abby,

If in fact there are some good ol' boys out there that need to relieve themselves of their troublesome motorcycles, so as to improve their spousal relationships please put me on the list of prospective buyers. That is after you've made an offer to Louie first!

Comment

You guys need to know what I have learned from 3 marriges:
                #1 I have no children--I don't breed well in captivity
                #2 I don't try to run her life, and I don't try to run mine
                #3 Next time I think about getting married, I am going to find a woman that hates my guts and buy her a house!!!!

Comment

PAQUETTE,
                  If I may suggest.... next time find the lady that hates you and Dont buy her a House.....Buy another MC !!!!!! HA!HA!

Comment

I married for love the first time, if there is another it will be for money........

Louie

Comment

I married one time only because I had to get married. Not because she was pregnant though.......because I didn't want to get shot buy all the other girls daddy's for maybe getting them pregnant..LOL !!!!!!!! Seriously though...I consider myself one of the lucky dudes. I married once and she still puts up with me after the 31 years that we have been married. Paps

Comment

Hey guys some really great stories going on here. It is not that I chose to have 3 wives, but it seems that the fact that I would not get over my love for motorcycles was always an issue. My wife now of 9 years understood it before we got married and loves to ride with me. She has also stood by me when I started restoring seats, saddlebags, and reproducing the bags that I do. In other words for me 3rd is the charm and I am proud to call her the Queen of Worsham Castle. PS she loves hitting the cool spots on a ride as it eases her "HOT FLASHES"---------------And just so you all know PMS stands for: Pre menstural syndtrome (1 week) Present menstural syndrome(also 1 week) Post menstrual syndrome ( 1 week) which means I have 1 week of bliss or in other words---PMS Paquette Must Suffer---------- LOL LOL

Comment

Louie,
                          I thought the old saying was "first time for money, second time for more money".

Don't let Jeanne know I said that.

Michael,
                          Was that three all at one time?

Comment

Now Johnny you know I live in North Carolina and not Utah!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X