Aluminum UL Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum UL Cylinders

UPS delivered my 2019 Tedd Cycle ( T-Twin ) Catalog & Dealer price sheet. I noticed that they are selling aluminum H-D 74 Side Valve Cylinders. I am curious about them. ( Not that I'm planning on buying a set ). They are awfully proud of them at $2675.75 dealer price or $3185.42 retail. My question is; Would the aluminum mess with the tappet setting ? Thinking that the aluminum would expand to a different dimension than the stock cast iron.
    Just wondering, CraigCIMG1194.JPG

I haven't seen them or any reports.
    I suspect the cylinders will become corkscrews as their temperature rises. I've never heard of an OEM aluminum flathead cylinder.
    Let someone else try it first.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

The guys in Germany are making some, and I know of at least one engine going together with some. Not sure if they are all the same source or not. Seems like Anders was planning some with Nikasil lining.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. It just seems like a lot of money for something unproven.
        Craig

Comment

Tedd is famous for putting things in his catalog that he doesn't have. Possibly just testing the water.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris is right...Tedd does not have any of these in stock.You can search the catalog online & check if in stock.

Comment

Chris and Duffey you are both correct. I just checked both sets and they are both on back order. I guess he see's if enough shops order them, he then has one hung lo start making them.
              Craig

Comment

I saw Ted's cylinders at Oley in 2017. He actually had a set on the table. They were sleeved and were only available in 74" bore. Not enough meat to run a sleeve in an 80 inch bore.
                I'm currently doing field testing on a set of 80" aluminum cylinders with Nikasil bores. Been running them since the latter part of last summer, currently have about 1200 miles on them. So far, no issues. I'm seeing 30-40 deg lower temps overall, and more even temperature distribution at various points on the cylinder, to wit, intake vs exh port area, and external left side of cylinder. I'm running the standard Harley tappet clearances, and do not find them significantly louder than with iron cylinders. The Maker suggested that Nil clearance could be used because of the expansion of the aluminum factor, but I'm not brave enough to do so yet.
                These cylinders haven't been released to the public as yet, so I can't reveal the source, but they are American made and definitely a quality product. I've had the cylinders off a couple of times, (oil leaks from tappet covers), and can see no discernible wear to date.
                I plan on having the bike at the Trumansburg, NY AMCA meet this summer.
                Oh yeah, this is an 88" stroker motor with some not stock cams.
                Dick

Comment

Dick; Thanks for the good, thorough info. I've owned my ULH since the early '70's. I'm always looking for improvements on our antiques. The big cast iron cylinders have lasted well all these years. They do seem to make a lot of ticking noise after shutting off the motor after a long warm run. One time in the late '70's I tried to start the bike after a long, cold winter and it would not fire. Evan with either. I was young and knew that something serious was going on. It always started. I checked the valves, pulled the heads. Everything was fine. Points, plugs and condenser was the problem. And it was good for another 10 years.
                  Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X