Replacing rusted bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing rusted bolts

I've got an '82 FLH that I'm going through and cleaning up. There are several bolts (like the ones bolting the engine to the frame) that have become rusty over time and I'd like to clean them up.

Any thoughts about what I should replace them with? Stainless steel, chrome, or go back to stock bolts?

I'm sure there are plenty of vendors out there that sell every kind of stainless bolt, nut, washer, etc.

Whatever I get, should I spray them with a clear coat so the shine lasts longer?

I'm not looking to customize the bike (I've had it since new and I like the stock look). I just want to clean up the appearance.

Thanks
    John

hey Swolf
    You are probably going to get a lot of replies telling you that your 1982 bike is not 35 years old.
    Some others will probably say that you are going to "devalue"it if you use anything but the origanal hardware.
    I however am not going to "judge" you ,but simply answer your question.
    Stainless steel is the way to go. You can even hit it on a buffing wheel and make it shine like chrome,and it will still be shiny after the rest of the bike is long gone.
    Here is a good source for s/s hardware.

http://www.msc-stainless-fasteners.com/

Comment

Nice call Rousseau--I believe that the Shovelheads were the last classic Harleys and this bike WILL BE classified as an antique one day. My 71 just became an antique. I use grade 8 bolts when I redo my bike , but then again I will never have the bike judged. I am anal just not that anal---------

Comment

Rousseau, Paquette,
        Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the stainless. I won't be entering any judging contests, I just like to have a clean ride that's dependable, fairly stock, and doesn't have a lot of rust-crusted bolts on it. While this '82 is just a 'baby' in AMCA time, my other bike is a '48 Chief. It's just starting the long long road to restoration. It too will be a good rider.

I think a bike is what you want it to be. If you want a near 100 pointer or like to customize, that's what will work for you.

I'm going through the MSC web site now. It looks good and Pennsylvannia isn't so far away from Virginia. I'm glad I bought a parts manual that's got all the bolt specs to it.

Besides the bolts, if I can just figure out which overall parts to buy for the bike before the factory says their obsolete, I'll be in good shape.
        Swolf

Comment

Working...
        X