Shipping Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Frames

This topic has come up here and there but I am interested in more feedback from people that have shipped frames across the US. How did you do it and what did it cost?

Washed the frame squeaky clean. Mounted a piece of 1X4 in place of the transmission plate. Put the addresses on that piece of wood. Took it to UPS and shipped it.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Yeahbut... if the frame is painted, or has any part that can come loose on it, you don't want to ship it without protecting it. Go to a local moving/storage business and see if you can get a used, or new, mattress carton (pillow top mattresses are about 15" wide), then cut it down to size, crumpled up newspaper is great cushioning... use enough so that the frame doesn't move at all inside the box. UPS, fully insured, will take it but be prepared to pay for it.... the insurance will run up the cost but it's not wise to ship without insurance for the full amount, don't scrimp. Insurance amount, weight, size, and distance all factor into the cost so don't be surprised if it goes over $100 to ship it...properly!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I wrap in bubble wrap..ship UPS.From east Iowa to Ohio was $175 about 4 years ago..all shipping has gone up since then.I think they preferred the wrap technic over big heavy box that is hard to handle.I walked in with my shoulder thru the frame,he did the same.When it came back from the frame straightener it was wrapped the same,the UPS guy came in with his shoulder thru the frame!Easier for shipper than box & does not get stacked on.

Comment

I once shipped a 27 LB Harley racing frame from Michigan to Californa using USPS Priority! It has been too long ago, 1994 maybe, to remember the exact cost but it went as priority label so it was a fixed rate whatever that was. Mailed it on Friday and the guy who bought it had it the Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            Yeahbut... if the frame is painted, or has any part that can come loose on it, you don't want to ship it without protecting it. Go to a local moving/storage business and see if you can get a used, or new, mattress carton (pillow top mattresses are about 15" wide), then cut it down to size, crumpled up newspaper is great cushioning... use enough so that the frame doesn't move at all inside the box. UPS, fully insured, will take it but be prepared to pay for it.... the insurance will run up the cost but it's not wise to ship without insurance for the full amount, don't scrimp. Insurance amount, weight, size, and distance all factor into the cost so don't be surprised if it goes over $100 to ship it...properly!
            Yup thats the only way i would do it too...when it comes to shipping , the people that care is the guy who ships it and the person receiving it...the shipping companies could care less.

Comment

Once I shipped a painted frame. I covered the tubes and joints with plumbing pipe insulation ty wrapped to keep it in place.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by brettxlch View Post
                when it comes to shipping , the people that care is the guy who ships it and the person receiving it...the shipping companies could care less.
                That, right there Brett, is exactly right. You need to ship like it WILL get damaged. Most times you won't see any damage. But when you're luck runs out and you do get damage, who do you blame?

Stuff happens....even when you package well...stuff happens.
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Here is a frame I got back recently. Excellent job of packaging. Came fed ex. I sent it ups. They both work well. Buy insurance.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is another pic. Frame and forks cost about $250 to go across the country.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                      X