45 Transmission Main Drive Gear Seal Tool 12747-41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 Transmission Main Drive Gear Seal Tool 12747-41

I am looking for information related to the use of this tool (12747-41) and a source to purchase. They identify this tool as a seal installer. Is this tool used to install the seal in a bare case, or could it be used to install seal without complete disassembly of the box. Does anyone have any experience here?

The factory tool looks like this one. It installs the new seal with gearbox assembled. No special tool is needed to install a seal in the bare case.
    Attached Files
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for that pic, it clarifies for me what the original tool is supposed to look like. I have installed a few seals in empty cases and your right that's not an issue. The trick when it is completely disassembled with the new seal in place, to get the clutch gear inserted through the seal without damaging it. The tool they sell today appear to be just a sleeve that pushes out the edges of the seal to allow the clutch gear to pass through. It appears from that pic you sent that the original tool might also include a similar sleeve. Unfortunately I cant find that sleeve/tool anywhere. Any ideas where I could purchase? Everyone is out of stock and no recovery date is identified.

Comment

Any ideas where I could purchase?
        Sorry, but no. I've had mine for decades. They used to show up fairly regularly on Ebay military surplus, but I haven't paid attention to that stuff in a while. Check the Redfern Auction in Aus coming up. He had lots of WLA stuff, and that tool was used extensively by the military.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Vtwin has the cheap tool that you mention in stock.It works to get over the main gear.I make seal installation tools out of pvc from hardware stores all the time with my lathe.

Comment

I must have damaged my seal since I do get oil leaking out behind the clutch hub. I need to look into finding that sleeve tool too!
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Thx for the feedback provided - J

Comment

Working...
              X