Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain Twister.

Good Evening,
    Snowy & Cold, so i devised a little quiz if so inclined to participate. Maybe someone will get it...Wright?

thf97802.jpg + P1020472.JPG == https://youtu.be/AzllNSKItYw

*M.A.D.*

Wright brothers bicycle shop, Dayton, Ohio??

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
      Wright brothers bicycle shop, Dayton, Ohio??
      Getting warmer, M/C is 1909 & Greenfield Village clues.

*M.A.D.*
      Last edited by JoJo357; 03-04-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

1909 Reading Standard Board Track Racer. Reading Standard entered the racing game in 1907. It developed a series of successful racing engines and sponsored a field of professional riders including Ray Seymour and Frank Hart. In July 1909, Seymour set a new one mile record in the Los Angeles Coliseum Motordome, lowering the record to 47 seconds at 76.6 MPH. This bike remained undiscovered at Ford's Greenfield Village, sitting in the basement of the Orville and Wilbur Wright house there. It was sold to Wheels Through Time in 1990 and restored in 1992 and 1993. This 1909 Reading is probably the most elegant early board racer in existence.

The 1909 Reading-Standard factory board track racer which he purchased from the Henry Ford Museum in Michigan. “It was donated to that Museum in 1940, but then lost until 1991, when a worker found it in the basement of Orville and Wlibur Wright, which was moved to Greenfield Village, near Detroit. It’s the only known Reading-Standard with intake-over-exhaust valves and ported cylinders”.
        15510164688_9883931340_b.jpg

The Detroit Police Department revealed a restored a 1937 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead police bike that was found during the move to its new headquarters.

The 76-year-old police motorcycle was found disassembled at the old headquarters after several decades in storage. According to MLive, the police department attempted to restore the motorcycle in 1974 but never got around to completing it. The motorcycle was placed back into storage until it was uncovered recently.

Harley-Davidson dealership Biker Bob’s of Taylor, Mich., restored the Knucklehead pro bono, reassembling the machine and giving it a police blue paint job and yellow rims.
        121313-detroit-police-restored-1937-harley-davidson-knucklehead-f.jpg

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 03-07-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Steve Huntzinger restored the RS for Dale Walksler. I was at Huggy Bear's Ventura meet the day he presented it too Dale and fired it up. Man did that thing crackle. The house next to the Wright's shop is the Wright's family home that Henry moved there.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Henry Ford museum wanted the best Ford hot rod to display.
            Theyeventually contacted my brother,who told them about his friend/landlord.
            This '32 ford with Chrysler Hemi was in the garage behind the house my brother lived in.
            There was also a JD cutdown that Dick raced & in the not locked lockers that surrounded the yard was a Drake water cooled Knuck motor.
            https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...artifact/2762/

Comment

You would think the Henry Ford museum would want a Ford hot-rod, with the iconic Ford flathead V8.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

They wanted the best Hot Rod in the world.The guy doing the research contacted a famed hot rod builder that also did one off bodies for GM.He is the one that told them to contact my brother to find THE car.I knew Dick & his wife as well.

Comment

I'm sure it's a great car, Roger and it's obviously a beauty; but you know how complicated the history of custom motorcycles is, and I know hot-rods are even more so. The teens, and young guys that built hot-rods in the late '40s, and into the '50 were on pretty tight budgets. Their cars came from junkyards, and the Ford flathead was the best value with numerous high performance parts available. All I'm saying is; if I was Henry Ford's ghost, I'd haunt the hell that museum for putting a Chrysler powered Ford in my museum, I mean; where's the Hot Rod Lincoln, or the Little Deuce Coupe
                  Last edited by exeric; 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Eris ,I have to agree & I asked my brother the same thing when they bought it.

Comment

The Henry Ford Museum provides unique educational experiences based on authentic objects, stories, and lives from America’s traditions of ingenuity, resourcefulness, and innovation. Their purpose is to inspire people to learn from these traditions to help shape a better future.
                      I'd say that 32' Ford/Hemi fits the Henry Ford attitude of 'Engine-Nuity'. Don't worry Eric, Uncle Henry didn't let You down! This Merc will offset the sacrilegious ghosts for now.
                      Henry_Ford_Museum_August_2012_85_(1949_Mercury_custom).jpg >>>'Mystery' George Barris 1949 Mercury Convertible.
                      CCC-ford-museum-49-mercury-14.jpg
                      https://goo.gl/images/zVvNqd >>Visit.

The Ford Rouge-Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village Tour is a Total American Experience! Willow Run 'The Arsenal Of Democracy' is only a short distance up the road also. Greenfield Village is the closest anyone will ever come to going back in time, i've spent countless hours there, and it always never ceases to amaze me!

A shame Walksler snatched that Reading-Standard outta' there tho'! But i got to give Dale, 'Munster Koach' credit, he definitely knows how to play the game!!! Sad, i heard Dale's health is not doing too well as of lately.

*M.A.D.*
                      Last edited by JoJo357; 03-08-2019, 04:06 AM.

Comment

I like the Merc.A tidbit on the duece,not on the car now but was the first to use cut Harley gas tanks to cover the front of the Hemi.Dick was an Engineering professor at ASU in 1954 when he last redid the car.It was not a hack job.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                          The Ford Rouge-Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village Tour is a Total American Experience! Willow Run 'The Arsenal Of Democracy' is only a short distance up the road also.
                          *M.A.D.*
                          The Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village will be a long overdue visit I intend to make one day. Also, I read the book "the Arsenal Of Democracy by A.J. Baine. Fantastic book for anyone interested in history, and particularly a Ford-o-phile.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                            The Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village will be a long overdue visit I intend to make one day. Also, I read the book "the Arsenal Of Democracy by A.J. Baine. Fantastic book for anyone interested in history, and particularly a Ford-o-phile.
                            Tell us more about yourself, Eric!

A bit over a decade ago, a fellow at Davenport had a carbon-fiber DuoGlide outer primary that was ... awesum.

His card was from the museum.

...Cotten
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I think I've just been bit on the ass; or was I bit by an ass?
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X