Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings!

Hello,
    I hope all is well with everyone, I haven't been around in a long while because I got my left leg amputated above the knee. I am doing well and can now walk, although not that well yet, for the first time in almost 4 years. It is now time to finish my long over due 1969 FLH sidecar project along with adding adaptations.
    I just wanted to touch base, just in case anyone happens to remember me. I have a lot of catching up to do reading all the posts.

Take care and great to be back,
    Ryan

Welcome back and good luck with finishing and adapting the bike and further rehab of the leg! That first ride will be extra special!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. Although almost everything feels very odd about it, I feel very liberated and can do much more than I could before.
      I cannot wait to ride, it has been a very long time.

Comment

Welcome back! I had a very good friend who was a double amputee due to issues with diabetes, we worked together at Harley-Davidson. He rigged up a side car to his URAL (sold the HD Fatboy) and he was kick starting it and riding it all over the place, he never let his medical set back stop him or slow him down from living life as it was meant to be lived. Glad you're back.
        AMCA # 3233

Comment

Thank you and thanks for the inspiring story about your friend. The one thing that is certain, my garage seems much smaller than before we I do need more room to get around.

Comment

Welcome back...from the frozen state of NY..

Comment

Let me know if I can help with anything my brotha
              I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

Thank you for the offer! I may be in touch soon about the 1967-72 fear drum you turned down for sidecar duty, that's if it is around. If not, I will go a head and turn mine down.

Comment

Welcome back to AMCA Forum Ryan. It sounds like your unique project could be a pretty cool thread to follow in the Member Bike Build Forum of this site. It could possibly provide encouragement and help others having to deal with adjusting to life with an amputation. Nothing but the best for your future!

Mike Love

Comment

Welcome back Ryan! Sounds like a cool project bike you have going on there!

Best of luck with your health!
                    Craig (Delaware)
                    Delaware Bay Chapter
                    Perkiomen Chapter
                    AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Welcome back, Ryan. I think working on motorcycles is one of the best forms of therapy you can use. The whole process of working on bikes is about creative solutions to problems. You, yourself are an inspiration, Ryan. Glad you're back, and have fun with the '69.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Mike, Bret, Craig and Eric,
                        Thank you for the greetings and comments, I have spent quite a bit of time catching up on what the other members have been posting which makes for a lot of great reading.
                        I am still in therapy working really hard on getting the strength to walk again. They told me to walk with an above the knee amputation takes a tad more energy than a fast jog. Wearing my artificial leg is like getting use to wearing a shoe with a stone in it. I am getting use to wearing it and making progress.
                        I will start a thread of the adaptations that will be done to get my 69 going back down the highway with me on it.

Thanks again!
                        Ryan

Comment

Working...
                        X