No announcement yet.

Fuel for old bikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just over 72K miles on my 1940 Indian 4 since I rebuilt it 40 years ago. It has the original bronze intake seats with Oldsmobile valves. I use the cheapest gas I can find and have never added any thing to it. I very seldom have to adjust the valves. It is running as good as ever and has never had a valve job since the rebuild. I have been draining the fuel for the winter for the last 10 years.
    Tom

Comment

Tom I never run any additive in my knucklehead either. Usually try to use premium when possible but it runs great on anything. Cast iron guides and stainless valves.

Jerry

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
      I have just over 72K miles on my 1940 Indian 4 since I rebuilt it 40 years ago. It has the original bronze intake seats with Oldsmobile valves. I use the cheapest gas I can find and have never added any thing to it. I very seldom have to adjust the valves. It is running as good as ever and has never had a valve job since the rebuild. I have been draining the fuel for the winter for the last 10 years.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
        I wonder if Coleman white gas for lanterns would burn well in the old engines ? Price is over the top though.
        It was suggested to me, Pa,..

That a couple of ounces of white gas added to a tank of regular upped its octane to 'premium'.

Just more armchair-engineering without any testing!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A gas pump with only one nozzle can give you 2-5 gallons of whatever the last person used before you get the gas you selected

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
            A gas pump with only one nozzle can give you 2-5 gallons of whatever the last person used before you get the gas you selected
            Wow Duffey!

I woulda guessed a gallon at most.

But different grades from the same pump should probably have the same soup of additives.

If you give the P4gas as little to eat as possible its just fine.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

The gas in Iowa varies .91 octane usually has no alcohol,but the other stuff has alcohol.I tell my customers with high compression to let their buddies fill first !When I get a few gallons [premium only]for customer bikes,snow blower,lawn mower,I always put a few gallons in my car first to get past what is in the system.

Comment

Just an anecdote, Folks,...

But a few years back an associate brought me a nice "old" gas can, full, from his aunt's garage.

Perhaps '70s or earlier, guessing of course.

But the fuel still smelled sweet.
                Ran great in my Toyota.

....Cotten
                PS: I guess my point is that modern additives are what sour fuel, with ETOH as prime suspect.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-28-2019, 12:07 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Starting in the spring of 2007,I had many customers bikes,mostly sportys that did not start or started once died & would not start again.Drained fuel,removed plugs,crank em over to clear & all ran fine.Less problems after 2009 or so but still more issue than before 2007

Comment

Sounds like just another "Sportster Disease" to me, Duffey!

(They are out of my zodiac.)

The gas gauge sending unit in my '91 Ranger finally gave it up last summer blend.

Obviously a swollen float.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Thanx guys for all of your input...brett

Comment

You can buy 105 low lead no ethanoll at most airports. Airplanes don't work on corn squeezing.

John W WEIss

Comment

Why 93 octane? Unless you built a high compression engine and need the higher octane to prevent spark knock/pre-detonation, save money and use 87. Plus lower octane fuel ignites easier at lower compression which can help kick starting. I know some that insist on running 93 but can't explain why its better for their particular stock engine other than its more expensive so its got to be better. Octane is very often misunderstood. I always run the carb dry if I know the bike will be sitting for awhile which really isn't too often other off season.
                          Jason Zerbini
                          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                            Why 93 octane? Unless you built a high compression engine and need the higher octane to prevent spark knock/pre-detonation, save money and use 87. Plus lower octane fuel ignites easier at lower compression which can help kick starting. I know some that insist on running 93 but can't explain why its better for their particular stock engine other than its more expensive so its got to be better. Octane is very often misunderstood. I always run the carb dry if I know the bike will be sitting for awhile which really isn't too often other off season.
                            Yup ill try 87 see how she goes, 2018 harley freewheeler requires minimum of 91 octane, which is not available in my area only 87/89/93 octane..so i have no choice for the trike.

Comment

Working...
                            X