Biker vs. Driver Texting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    The technology exists .. If cell phone companies would install this on all phones, the streets would be a lot safer.
    The first question, Craig..

Is how much more will it make a 'civilian' cell phone cost?
    Profit margin rules over public safety.

I've never had a cell phone, so I have no clue!

...Cotten
    PS: Proud of my rotary phones on my LAN line.
    (I can hear them much better too.)

LAN lines are rarely a traffic risk.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten; I doubt that it would cost a dime more, being that the technology is already there. They would just have to add it to the existing service. I keep telling friends that my cell phone is a TELEPHONE !! I don't type letters on it. It's a phone !! You talk on it. Much easier than typing a letter. They would also try show me a picture or video on their's. I will tell them that I have a computer with a nice large screen that I can actually see something on it. Verses the tiny screen on their phone. ( Not that I'm a grumpy old fart or anything )
      Craig

Comment

I thought I was the only one that didn't use a cell phone. Cotten, your gonna love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNGnJok

Comment

They would also try show me a picture or video on their's. I will tell them that I have a computer with a nice large screen that I can actually see something on it. Verses the tiny screen on their phone. ( Not that I'm a grumpy old fart or anything )
          Craig
          That is the most irritating cell phone habit by it's users. They always have to show you a picture on their phone; but of course, they can't find it, and while you're waiting, and hovered over this tiny device that has glare on the screen, they keep giving excuses, but assuring you it will be worth the wait. . . . It's never worth the wait because the pictures are always stupid, too small to see, and that this cell phone jockey has robbed you of 5, or more minutes of your life
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Aside from the obvious annoyances, there is a feature I like.
            All of the idiots in thrall to their disobedient children and nagging SOs are spending $800 every year to get the nest phone, and another $100 every month for texting: for each dependent.
            I want those people broke, and this helps.
            The Linkert Book

Comment

It's the Twenty-first Century slave bracelet, Kitabel!

(Forgot who said that...)

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

The technology exists for the cell phones to go dark and you can't talk or use it after you reach about 5 m.p.h. I retired from Holland Motor Express in 2017. Our new phones-radios which were androids, would shut down after about 5 m.p.h. City dispatch could call out to us on the phone, but we could not answer until we pulled over and not moving. If cell phone companies would install this on all phones, the streets would be a lot safer.
                On IPhones one touch of a button in the "Settings" section has the phone answer calls or texts while you are driving, replies that you are occupied, logs them so you can reply later. The phone stays silent so you are not distracted.

A 2017 Canadian study which took data from 120,000+ observations of car drivers at urban or rural stops found that an average of 7% of drivers were using a hands-on cell phone when pulling up to a stop sign or traffic signal. In some areas (Urban locations in the province of Ontario for example) the hands-on use was as high as 12%. Although now illegal in most of Canada this cell phone use while driving has increased since 2012
                AFJ

Comment

Or this.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/sleepin...-drives-itself
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I don't understand the purpose of texting. Communication started out as snailmail which took months to reach it's destination. Along came the Pony Express which cut that time by more than half. Then the telegraph which took but a few minutes though the operators on both ends of the line knew all your business. At last the pen and telegraph need not be used as the telephone came on board. With the telephone people could talk directly to each other. No more typewriter keys to hit ! Yippeeeee. Now society is digressing and returning to key boards. A few years ago my youngest daughter was out on the front porch sitting around the table with a half dozen friends of hers. I was curious as to why I heard no conversations going on but I did hear a bunch of laughter now and then. My curiosity got the best of me so I investigated. All of them were texting each other. None were talking to each other. DUH ????

You folks who don't use a cell phone. I don't either. My current wireless communication is a fire and a blanket.

Comment

Skynet (the fictional artificial neural network intelligence system from the Terminator series) is coming sooner than we expect.
                      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                        I don't understand the purpose of texting...
                        Simple, Pa!

Its just miss-used.

All technology is miss-used.

Look what they did to motorcycles!

...Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-31-2019, 03:23 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                        X