Repainting Vintage Bikes ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting Vintage Bikes ???

I've been lerking here for a while, appreciate the depth of knowledge. Since the 70's I've been a chop and cut guy. I've since grown to love the unrestored original look. The only real 'bike fix' I get is at the AMCA events. Thank you all.
    My question...I've got a great 60 Pan. Unrestored original with 45K miles....it's been repainted and it look bad. I'm trying to educate myself on the most acceptable paint type/process to use to keep it as close to actual Hi-Fi over Birtch.
    Would like to hear your thoughts. For example, Pierce Color Write, mfgr of choice?
    Thanks

Bob why restore it? keep the mechanics up to par and enjoy it for what it is a 60 pan! My personal flavor is ride the snot out of itnothing brings back old memories like and unrestored MC that still SH*ts and gets!

Comment

I aggree, why restore her? I have two original bikes that I ride alot. The reaction from the public to an old original bike is is priceless even if it's not the original paint! I park my bike among a few dozen new bikes and it ALWAYS stands out. Also, you don't have to clean it as often and it still looks great. It seams to me that you spend a ton of money on a proper restoration and then are afraid to ride it anymore. Leave her as is and enjoy I say. Good luck.

TR

Comment

little scratch, stone chip.... no big deal. Ride it.

4nut - did you mean "sh*ts n' gits", or "sh*ts n' grits"? Have a happy! hee-hee-hee...

Comment

Hey Bob
          I think these guys have confused your wanting a new paint job for a total restoration. Try posting your Question in the "paint" section of this forum. I know little about painting but Antique cycle supply has the paint youll need.

Dennis

Comment

ADMIN,
            YOU GOT ME THINKIN ???

Comment

Thanks guys...I AM NOT RESTORING THE BIKE...Love it the way it is. in fact, I have fixed several small problems with NOS stuff.
              It was painted by someone a long time ago, they did areal bad job applying the paint and getting the lines right. Thats the only thing I want to correct. Otherwise she stays the same for another 45 years.
              Thanks...I'll post this in the paint section....

Comment

bob- before you rip the tin off and give it to a painter make sure the original paint is not underneath the paint on their now. It's a hell of alot of work to remove the top coat if the original paint is underneath but I have seen it done several times (and I did my entire 47 knuckle and you would never know it was once repainted). Test a small area using 3m light rubbing compound (use a wheel if need be to burn through the top coa). If its original paint underneath it will stand up to the wheel as harley original paint is unbelievably hard to remove unless you blast it). You'll know right of way if it was blasted as you'll probaly hit a prime coat themn bare metal).

Comment

Thanks for the tip....are you hinting that if the original paint is underneath it's restorable? Sounds difficult to make it look good. I'm not an expert but will give it a go. My plan was to media (baking soda) blast with a local guy who does nice work.
                  I talked to "Pierce Color Write" yesterday. He took a lot of time to explain what he has and how he suggested I do this. He's a member, and gets on the board once in awhile. I'll buy the paint from him.
                  I have a friend who is a World Class HotRod and Custom paint guy. His work is flawless.
                  So how does this work out for my pan....unrestored original condition (a little dirty, faded, and worn) - with perfect paint?
                  Thanks

Comment

Most "custom hod rod" painters over paint these old bikes (unless that's what you want) not saying '60 is very old by my standards. Just so your friend is willing to do a light thin coat of primer and paint and just a VERY light coat of clear at the most. To much primer or paint will crack and chip at every fastener and fills in any seams that originally were very noticable.
                    Once you have new paint by AMCA rules this bike will never be considered "unrestored original".

Comment

Since you brought it up Mike, I'll throw this out. Some of the AMCA's well known vendor/restorers specialize in restoring unrestored bikes by matching the original paint. I've personally seen and heard this on the judging field from the horses mouth.

Louie

Comment

Thanks Mike for the light primer/paint and very light clear tip. That's exactly the some of the feedback I'm looking for. I also do not consider a 60 an old Bike. I bought it coz, except for the paint, it was unrestored and I never had a Duo Glide Pan. I plan to ride the bike a lot...typically I do not enter shows.
                        Thanks again guys for the tips. keep em coming.

Comment

Working...
                        X