Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Retro Bike Would You Like to See Built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Retro Bike Would You Like to See Built?

Fantasy time.

If you could advise a modern motorcycle manufacturer as to what retro motorcycle you would like to see built with modern engineering practices to your own specs what would it be?

Here's mine:

An air/oil-cooled V-twin with counter-balancer and final shaft-drive.

It would FAITHFULLY follow the styling of the 1936 EL model Knucklehead.

It would weigh NO MORE than the 1936 Knucklehead.

It would displace no more than 1000cc.

It would have interchangable 4:00x18 wheels on it front and rear.

It would have a hinged rear fender and center-stand.

It would not have to have a spring fork (spring fork optional), but it would have to have a correctly executed EL front fender.

It would NOT have chopper dual mufflers but normal single type.

It would also have the old sprung seatpost as an option.

It would be available as an "RT" version with full frame-mounted fairing and hard-bags also with 1936-type styling.

Also a "bare" leather saddlebag version.

The engine would be stamped like the old bikes with the year and model and serial number.

It would have no more than 5 gears.

Chrome options would be limited.

Next?

Easy! Crocker - and it's reality! Pref. - 90-95ci.

Comment

1939 Indian 4, and I'm happy with the factory specs, except it's got to be 12 volt.
      Keep dreaming Ken.

Comment

What ever your smokin.........get off it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
          What ever your smokin.........get off it!!!!
          Happy with the specs as I've never taken up the offer to ride one (First ride on a four, down city streets and into traffic, I don't think so).
          I have been told by a very knowledgeable and experienced mate re Indian that I may be disappointed with a 4, but it'll probably never happen.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

Crocker, a reality? Is it really?

Wasn't the '39 Indian Four the so-called upside-down engine model?

PS: If it's not too much to ask for on my Fantasy Motorcycle I would also like it to have both an electric start and a functional kick-start with the cool traditional exposed watch-spring (no cheap-looking chrome cover please).

(Watch-spring? What is correct name for the type of spring on the H-D kicker?)

I wouldn't use the kick-start much. Mostly for turning the engine over on cold mornings, but it's presence would be a comfort to me anyway and I would like seeing it there.

Oh yeah, it would have to have the bicycle pedal on it. I always thought that was really nice touch and a definite nod to the motorcycle's bicycle roots.

Comment

I'd agree with Admin-Guy.......A Crocker for sure and yes it is a reality........

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation
                Crocker, a reality? Is it really?

Wasn't the '39 Indian Four the so-called upside-down engine model?

No, that was 1936 - 37.

And here's the link to Crocker (I thought they were selling out recently? I must be wrong.)

http://www.crockermotorcycleco.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Baytown

No, that was 1936 - 37.

And here's the link to Crocker (I thought they were selling out recently?)

http://www.crockermotorcycleco.com/
                  Ah, thanks for the correction.

I'll have to check out that new Crocker.

Comment

I like the first rendition, a Knuckle. The only thing that I see missing in the concept is the Indian; many, many miles ahead of it down the road.

Comment

I always thought the in-line 4 was a no brainer for a potential retro model. I never understood why the the ill fated Hanlon Henderson/Excelsior company went to all the trouble and expense of designing and tooling up to make the world's most butt ugly V-twin. It seemed to me that energy and money could have been put into integrating a transmission on an existing 4 cyl. motor and putting it into a new frame. The in-line 4 is an inherently elegant and attractive design and they all look good. And then when you think of the history of the real Excelsior/Henderson company, the 4 cyl. was the flagship of the Schwinn empire. The Excelsior twin became the 'red headed step child' and was relegated to second tier status. The Henderson 4 was the shining star in Schwinn's eyes and should have been for the Hanlon bros. That's just my opinion.

As for Harley Davidson. I think they should consider the 4 in the future. With tightening EPA standards and the buying public settling in on "cruiser" bikes, a liquid cooled 4 makes sense. However, it's got to be an in-line 4. V4's and transverse 4's just don't look as good.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric
                        I always thought the in-line 4 was a no brainer for a potential retro model. I never understood why the the ill fated Hanlon Henderson/Excelsior company went to all the trouble and expense of designing and tooling up to make the world's most butt ugly V-twin. It seemed to me that energy and money could have been put into integrating a transmission on an existing 4 cyl. motor and putting it into a new frame. The in-line 4 is an inherently elegant and attractive design and they all look good. And then when you think of the history of the real Excelsior/Henderson company, the 4 cyl. was the flagship of the Schwinn empire. The Excelsior twin became the 'red headed step child' and was relegated to second tier status. The Henderson 4 was the shining star in Schwinn's eyes and should have been for the Hanlon bros. That's just my opinion.

As for Harley Davidson. I think they should consider the 4 in the future. With tightening EPA standards and the buying public settling in on "cruiser" bikes, a liquid cooled 4 makes sense. However, it's got to be an in-line 4. V4's and transverse 4's just don't look as good.
                        You made some excellent points.

That new Triumph in-line motor shows that the concept is still alive, although the bike is honking big and heavy. When I looked at them last summer I think it was the Speedster that appealed to me as a sporting number.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric

I agree about the 4's. I would love to see a new inline 4, water cooled. I just don't want Harley to make it! (sorry!)

A few years back, when Eller was trying to produce Indians, they came out with a sketch of a new inline 4. It was very sweet indeed but never made it past the drawing board.

Comment

Are they still making the Dakota 4 ???

Louie

Comment

web site............http://www.indian-uk.com/front.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X