No announcement yet.

1952 Panhead...ebay..wow $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LouieMCman, Good for you! glad to hear the weather is nice someplace. No offense was taken at your post. I'm having a great time with the old bikes and you are definitely not the first and I hope not the last to call me an idiot. It's all part of the hobby. Sometimes you have to act like an idiot to have fun. Rock-on!!

Comment

All cool dudes with cool bikes !! Awesome !! Hope to down some cold ones with all of you folks sometime. What better place to do it than at an AMCA meet ?? Oley, Davenport, where Folks ?? A photo shoot for the magazine would be great !! Members who made sure they got together at least once could be a possible caption for it. I know we can't attend all of the meets but we can sure as heck make a go at touching bases with each other. We share imfo, opinions, history, and stories. I myself would be extremely honored if I could shake hands with just a fraction of the folks on this board or any of our fellow members and enthusiates that I haven't already had the pleasure of meeting first hand. The vintage bikes are our passion and ties but isn't the people surrounding them the real reason we do this ? Humbly, Paps

Comment

it be cool for for members ridin cross country to hook upwith other members an check out there toys ,yes?

Comment

That's a good idea boys.......There's nothing cooler than seeing the barn/shop/garage/shed/chicken coop door opening and taking in the first sight of the old iron. I get a thrill every time! It's even cool just sitting around having a cold one at an event and having your new found friend tell you about the bikes in his stable! I liken it to a light shock from a wall outlet......buzzin'...... By the way I'm still kickin' my @%! for not scooping that $4500 Pan fifteen years ago...... But I'm even kickin' it worse for not pickin' up that $5000 Chief!!!!!!......live and learn!!!! Times change whether we want them to or not......

Here's to you all and all the Best in the New Year!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: sidecar hydra-glide

Originally posted by jwl
            HarleyCreation, I really don't have the big bucks but just have a weakness for old Harleys. FYI- I have an original paint 65 Glide sidecar set up just as you suggested, 3.5 gal tanks, reverse gear, winter windshield, legsheilds, etc. The old man I bought it from had it since new and rode it around Lansing, MI. Now I ride it around ND, not too much though, got other bikes for that. I ain't kidding either.
            Does it have the tank-shift too?

In any case, it sound like GREAT machine.

Old guy around Lansing, Mich.?

That wouldn't have been an old Jack Enduro rider, would it?

Comment

Re: sidecar HydraGlide

Yes, it has a tank shift on 3.5 gal tanks. I think 65 was the last year you could get 3.5 gal tanks from the factory. It's a nice bike, had less than 6,000 mi. The man's name was Irving Christiansen, don't know if he ever rode Jack Enduro or not. He and his wife were very kind people. They both had tears in their eyes when I left with the bike. They had purchased it new. He had the dealer put on a set of Grasshopper tires before he took it home so he could ride to work in the winter. They were still on the bike when I got it but wore so thin you could almost see the air in them. He also had an original paint 53 Servicar. He wanted to ride bad and he said he couldn't handle the sidecar rig and wanted to remove the sidecar and put the servi rearend on the panhead. He had the servi dismantled and had built a jackshaft assembly to use somehow between the pan and servi to get the chain to line up. Then he set out to take the pan apart. He was 85 years old and not to strong so he couldn't get the sidecar connections or the swingarm nuts loose. I have no idea if his design would've worked or not but anyway his grown daughter came home and she decided that they would be better off just selling the bike. She lived down in the Toledo are I think.
              (I think she wanted him to give up riding) I'm really glad that they decided to sell before he got the pan apart because it was in near showroom condition, just a little faded. I asked about buying the servicar also because it was a choice piece, just all apart. He said he had made up his mind to give it to his deceased Army buddies son out on the east coast. He said the guy knew nothing about motorcycles but just wanted to give him something. He said the boy was named after him. That's the last I heard of it. I really felt bad for the old gentleman because he never got to see his plan through but am really glad I got the bike before it got dimantled or butchered up. This is getting kinda long so I better quit. Thought it was a good story though. I should really check up on the couple and see if they are still living or not. He'd be in his 90's now though.

Comment

Just a quick agmt with all that no offense was intended by any of my comments either- I was just having good hearted fun. Happy New Year to all. JWL- best of luck with that Panhead- she's a sweety.

Comment

On this line of thought, I can think of 3 things worth mentioning:

1> Being that everything sells based on the laws of supply and demand, the (very nice!) '52 selling for $50K and the $ that knucks, 4-cyl.'s, etc are going for now brings to mind what happened with the Indians when Steve McQueen went on his buying spree. He could afford to pay, and what Steve wanted, Steve bought, irregardless if that was the "going" price or not. It has been said that he single-handedly caused a great bump-up in Indian prices as a result, to much grumbling of those who were priced out of the market. Note, however, that from what I see, Indian prices (for the majority of them) has stagnated. As it stands now, Ebay seems to be driving the market, both in bikes and parts, for good or ill.

2> The comments that the sharp increase in older bikes, especially rigid-frame Harleys, will price out the new collectors is true, from what I see. Next time you go to an AMCA National meet, look around. The majority of the attendees (us, that is) are aging baby boomers or older. As Dale Walksler noted in his keynote address at Davenport in 2004, where is the new blood? That is why the AMCA now has the beginnings of a youth program, with the result still to be seen. Unless a young guy is rich or the son of someone now owning older bikes, that person is priced out. Also, consider the demographics for the new Harley owner - aging boomer with multiple toys.

3> This particular pan, having 5K miles, had obviously sat most of it's adult life, having been bought for the stated purpose of becoming a collector's item, which it has. Having had an original paint bike (though not of this caliber by far), I found I could not actually enjoy the bike (riding it) without ending up in a nervous jerk (paranoia, I believe). The bike became a piece of mechanical art in my garage, so I took detailed pictures as keepsakes and sold it. Same result, look at picture, look at bike. And no disrespect meant to the new owner - different strokes for different folks.

4> And lastly, Louie, I've made up my mind - you can have my burgundy '50 for $50K (has a nice ring, 50 for 50). Pay me at the 3-chapter run.

Lonnie

Comment

((I know, I'm long-winded - character flaw)).

One very positive thing about the run-up in prices is that this has created a situation where it is possible to invest in a full-blown AMCA Senior-type restoration and actually get your money back if and when you sell (or your estate does). Imagine that a few years back! There are basket-cases out there that sat in bits and pieces for decades now being put back together, and quite nicely. (I should know, I have two fine Larry Gee AMCA Senior restorations - and they are ridden, sparingly but ridden).

In parting, it is worth noting that the number one rule of collecting is to get the very finest example of the item you want and can afford. The number two rule is that it is better to have only one "best" item than it is to have a multitude of "second-best" items. I thing we all agree that this '52 is quite likely the finest one in existence and since John could afford it, he did the absolute best thing as a collector, whether he owns only that bike or others.

Comment

Your post puts me in mind of antique collector shows I've seen on TV. An antique furniture expert will show you a china cabinet valued at 200 grand becuase of it's heritage and maker. To me it looks like a nice china cabinet but still. . . . Just a china cabinet. I realize that antique furniture is not my game and I don't doubt that china cabinet is worth 200 grand. To people that love and know antique china cabinets I'm sure it's to die for. The exact same standards apply to motorcycles now. Motorcycle research has revealed an incredible heritage that has given motorcycle collecting respectability. Every dim-bulb in America knows old motorcycles are worth a lot of money now. Add celebrity collectors and a few giant price tags paid for motorcycles and we now can say we have an "Antique Motorcycle Institution".

The bad side of this, is everything costs more. Of coarse that is relative. I remember turning down a running 1940 Indian 4 in the early '70s becuase I couldn't raise $1500 to save my life. That seems absurd now but it was a reality then.

The good side is, knowledgeable collectors will determine what is worth the big bucks and it will be based on the right things. Just because Jay Leno may own a Harley Hummer doesn't mean Hummers will top 20 grand.

Valuable motorcyles have always been valuable becuase they have something special. 4 cyl. Hens and Indians are the blue chip classics, genuine early racers, pioneer motorcycles, early knuckles, and early Harleys have always been the leg wettin' objects of desire in our club.

People that have been at this for a few years know when they see something special, and that 1952 FL was one of them.

Comment

Lonnie, I may not be able to pay you at the three chapter ride, I'll have to sell my house first. I had a nice original '50 that I sold to buy my '20 Sport Model. It had all the goodies on it too. But a few years ago I realised (finally) that I can't keep them all, and that I have to sell some to get what I fancy (older is better). I did pick up a Rose's Ducati ST2 last night though.....I'm in charge of keeping the battery charged as I don't beleive in those battery tender things...............I hope it don't kill me.

Louie

Comment

On the other end of the spectrum here's one that's going to make eyes roll. I was talking with a fella today that was into bikes back in the 70's. He mentioned that he just passed on a Pan that an old friend had parked in his garage for years. So as a result the old friend sold the bike to another fellow for $2500! He said that he told the guy he was crazy because he probably could have raised $10 grand for it. So I guess not everyone knows the value of these bikes...... He didn't quite know the year, but said it was bone stock original. I had a sudden sinking feeling.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dkgoz

That Chief sold for $35,219.40. The eBay item number is 4595179892.

Dave
                            Danny, I remember this post from an ealier forum. I don't think this 'quote' will reproduce the photo attachment but if you go back into the history of Parking Lot Chatter and look for a post called '52 Panhead there is a photo attachment with a great picture of an origional paint 1940 Chief. As you can see, it sold on Ebay for 35K. Maybe that will carry some weight when you appeal the value of your '40. Us '40 Chief owners have to stick together.

It's almost ghoulish to show so much concern for your bike and not ask how you''re doing, but I gather you are physically intact, but just really P-O'ed. It's tragic that the damage to your '40 is at the front end. '40 forks and fenders are very difficult to find. I found a real nasty one for my '40 and spent a lot of time getting it straight and replacing the reinforcing tubes. Of coarse I saw a perfect one at Oley a few months after fixing mine. The man who had it was a good friend of Jim Sutters of Indian Motorcycle Supply. If you can get a hold of Jim, maybe he can point you in the right direction if you don't think your's can be brought back. Regardless, if I can help in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Working...
                            X