1952 Panhead...ebay..wow $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go Louie

Louie hit the nail on the head - "$50,000. for a Pan !! (any pan) The world has came to an end.!"

Willie G. wrote, "Never put all your eggs in one basket." And with Jay Chevrolet, in Michigan, selling brand new, 2005 loaded Corvettes, for $40,563 out the door . . . . . you could have a brand new Vette , PLUS a Classic Harley, (like the ones below), that were auctioned off by Mid America in Vegas this year, for the price of one bike on Ebay, that we only saw pictures of . . . . there is no comparison.

2005 MID AMERICA VEGAS AUCTION RESULTS
    1963 Harley Davidson Scat $4,000
    1963 Harley Davidson Scat $5,700
    1963 Harley Davidson Topper w/Sidecar $11,100
    1938 Harley Davidson $13,000
    1930 Harley Davidson V $17,000
    1942 Harley Davidson WL $9,500
    1942 Harley Davidson WLA $14,150
    1942 Harley Davidson WLC $12,000 3 Y
    1943 Harley Davidson WLC Military $15,750
    1939 Harley Davidson WLD $11,250
    1969 Harley Davidson XLCH Sportster $10,250
    1969 Harley Davidson XLH Sportster $9,250
    1969 Harley Davidson XLH Sportster $10,250
    1969 Harley Shovehead $11,000
    1955 Harley Davidson K Racer $5,000
    1927 Harley Davidson $12,000
    1947 Harley Davidson Knucklehead $13,500
    1949 Harley Davidson Monark Super Twin $4,500
    1948 Harley Davidson MS $14,750
    1948 Harley Davidson Panhead $8,500

Comment

1963 harley topper w/side car ,11100.00 ?

Comment

RS,
        Even some of those Mid-America prices when you consider WHAT they are or arenot are way out of wack!

Comment

What's so bad about a panhead ! You knucklehead guys think it's the only motorcycle on the planet. I've been watching people asking and getting stupid money for knuckleheads for years now. I've owned a '37 EL and '41 EL and neither one could hold a candle to my '51 FL. Don't get me wrong, I love knuckleheads and I will admit they have that certain something that objects of desire have to possess, but the panhead has it's own mystique and for the people that own one, it's true love.

50 grand is a lot of money for a 1952 panhead but if you were in the market for an original condition '52 pan, you wouldn't have very many to pick from. Tell me you wouldn't put a big dollar price on it if it was yours !

Comment

Idiot pan purchaser

Hey Louie, I'm the idiot that bought the 52 Pan for $50,000. If you want to meet me I live in the frigid state of ND. My name is John Lindemann. Maybe it is becoming a rich mans sport but then I guess it always was. Times change and the money is just relative to the times. You guys that are ranting and raving about me paying big bucks for a couple pans are probably the same guys that were all upset when they topped the $10,000 mark and thought anybody that paid that much back then was an idiot too. I'm fairly new to the collecting game although I've been riding for a long time. I wasn't collecting when a bike as nice as the one I just bought could be had for $10,000 but those of you who were collecting back then look like the idiots now for not buying them up by the boxcar load instead of letting most of them go overseas. I really hate to call anybody an idiot because just because two people have different points of view doesn't make anyone smarter than the other. I only called you an idiot because you started it. (And besides, I really don't mean it, it's just all in good natured fun.) So Happy New Year to you all!!! All I know right now is that I can ring in the new year sitting by the fire and admiring what has to be one of the nicest looking Pans in the world. Life is good!! P.S. My wife's name is Renee not Muffy or Fluffy or whatever you called her and she's even better than the Pan.

Comment

I don't believe the comments made were intended to belittle anyone. I say they are based on ones personal pocket book and resources. I say....Put an endless supply of cash in anyones possession and the question of how much something is, won't cross anyones mind. Not that I feel the buyer of this bike has bottomless pockets, just an example in order to paint a clearer picture. He had the doe to pay for it without hurting himself so why shoudn't he do so ? One mans gold can be another mans junk and vise versa. Better yet....value is in the beholders eyes. I can't touch a 50k bike myself but if I could, I probably would. I just ain't as fortunate as some folks are. I personally am happy for ya man. You wouldn't have spent the doe if it wasn't worth it to ya. May your new year be as bright as your last one was and may your fortune continue. Paps

Comment

Thanks Paps, I didn't take the remarks as offensive, just thought I should make my side of the story known. As I said, the money is just relative to the time. I remember when my dad sold his last HD, a post war Big twin, for $65. He needed the money to pay the grocery bill for the family. He needed that $65 real bad and it probably meant more to him then than what some of these bikes are selling for now. It's really getting expensive for us to preserve these bikes for the next generation. When you think about it that's all were doing. I don't think anyones come up with a way to take them along. The money in the bank is fine but it's not as gratifying as an old motorcycle. Hope your New Year is great too!

Comment

Hey RSSmith, If ya'd rather buy a new corvette go for it man. I bought a new one 15 years ago and still am stuck with it. I'da been a whole lot better off if I'da spent that money on some old motorcycles. Imagine how many old Pans you would have been able to buy in 89 with the money I spent on the Vette. Sure wish somebody would've clued me in back then. Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

Comment

PAPS,
                    I agree I dont think anybody was tryin to hurt anyone!
                    And if you want to pay a million for a MCso be it,I dont think that was what Louie was sayin ,its just crazy and Id buy it in a heart beat if I had the money and wanted it ! BUT I sure wouldnt buy it and think in a year or two Id make money or even get it back,Id buy it because Id want to ride it! Nuff said!

Comment

Re: Idiot pan purchaser

Originally posted by jwl
                      [B]I'm the idiot that bought the 52 Pan for $50,000. If you want to meet me I live in the frigid state of ND.
                      If you got the big bucks you might as well get a sidecar, reverse gear, sidecar Hydra-Glide, and winter windshield & leg guards if you plan to ride that thing much and have some real fun.

I ain't joking either....

Comment

Re: Way to go Louie

Originally posted by RSmith
                        1963 Harley Davidson Scat $4,000
                        1963 Harley Davidson Scat $5,700
                        I always thought that "Scat" was a cool name for a motorcycle. Like in animal droppings maybe? Was that what came out of the tailpipe or did Harley-Davidson think it was a POS?

Originally posted by RSmith
                        1949 Harley Davidson Monark Super Twin $4,500
                        [/B]
                        What's this freaking thing?

Comment

John, the other members are correct in saying that my comments where not to insult any one. I'm sorry if you were offended. It has became a crazy hobby, I remember when Indian 4's started selling for over $50K, then it was early Knuckles, I guess it's time for the Pans. As I've stated before in this forum, I feel sorry for new collectors and members who are just getting started. I was fortunate enough to have started about 25 years ago and have collected a nice variety from 1916 up.

Louie

Comment

LOUIE,

GOD BLESS !!
                            HAPPY NEWYEAR AND maybe Ill get lucky sometime and take you up on the offer of riding and a few BEERS!

Comment

OK, ya'll know I hate to rub it in........but, it was 65 today and I just got home from a nice ride and a stop at a new biker bar and a couple beers......ahhhhh..... life is good. Any time Inline!

Louie

Comment

sidecar hydra-glide

HarleyCreation, I really don't have the big bucks but just have a weakness for old Harleys. FYI- I have an original paint 65 Glide sidecar set up just as you suggested, 3.5 gal tanks, reverse gear, winter windshield, legsheilds, etc. The old man I bought it from had it since new and rode it around Lansing, MI. Now I ride it around ND, not too much though, got other bikes for that. I ain't kidding either.

Comment

Working...
                                X