fiberglass help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiberglass help

would like to put a black primer on the 69 servi. have read some stuff on the net and more confused now. what grit paper? what primer that will work on the fiberglass and steel tanks and fender? just what will show though?

I will add that the fiberglass will have some spots that have been sanded to the fibers and some areas with primer still on. the steel will be bare metal.at this point I used 100 grit on the glass.

Comment

Jug!

The '59-'69 Service Manual has a section on furry fiberglass repair.

What's "Gel Coat"?

.....Cotten
      PS: I hate paint.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Jug, go to your local automotive paint supplier and ask them. Just last week I bought paint for a project that included a mix of steel, and plastic parts. They were very helpful because they deal with professional paint and body people and they have to be on top of that trade.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Tom!
          Gelcoat is the smooth outer layer on fiberglass parts that seal in the fibers. Manufactured parts have it in the mold first then the glass is added.
          Jug, if you have spots in the fiberglass that are sanded through the gelcoat into the fibers, normal primer won't seal the fibers down and they will eventually show. Ecklers Corvette makes a great gelcoat but it can only be used over existing gelcoat, bare fiberglass or body filler. No paint or primer and no metal. Use 80 grit, gelcoat, sand with 80 and primer. There is another product called Rust Defender by Clausen that can be applied over anything (except rust, ironically) and you can apply anything over it. Doesn't need primer. It does a good job sealing down fibers. Eric gives the best advice, talk to your local paint supplier. A lot of this stuff is expensive and difficult to use in a garage environment.

Dale

Comment

Fiberglass doesn't need primer.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Jug!

The '59-'69 Service Manual has a section on furry fiberglass repair.

What's "Gel Coat"?

.....Cotten
              PS: I hate paint.
              Gelcoat is what is used on all fiberglass exterior boat hulls.
              Craig (Delaware)
              Delaware Bay Chapter
              Perkiomen Chapter
              AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
              X