Anyone collect these books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone collect these books?

Hi Folks - curious if anyone has collected the Motorcycle Chums series of books by Andrew Carey Lincoln from beginning around 1910? I know they were written to children but I read the Tom Swift and his motorcycle by Appleton (1910) another children's focused story and found while pretty simple it had some interesting commentary, and maybe even some hints to history nuance about the very oldest of bikes.

I was interested in learning more about the "Chums" author Andrew Carey Lincoln but on-line research was not successful. Didn't even find a chronological list of when each book was published.

Here is an image of what I believe is the first published in the series Motorcycle Chums and the Land of the Sky

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.22.50 AM.jpg

Any links or leads to more about the author is appreciated.

Mike Love
    Last edited by ihrescue; 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mike, Over many years I have collected all the early children's motorcycle books published in this country and will list them below. I completed two sets but the first one paid for the rebuild of my old Super X motor. They all have cool cover art especially the one's you find with dust jackets. The Motorcycle Chums Andrew Carey; In New England 1912, On the Santa Fe Trail 1912, In the Land of the Sky 1912, In the Adirondacks 1913, Stormbound 1914, In Yellowstone Park (no date). The Motorcycle Chums Lt. Howard Payson; In the Goldfields 1912, Of the Northwest Patrol 1912, Around the World 1912, Whirlwind Tour 1913, South of the Equator 1915, Through Historic America (date?). The Big Five Motorcycle Boys Ralph Marlow; Swift Road Chase 1914, On Florida trails 1914, Through the Wireless 1914, At the front 1914, In the Tennessee Wilds 1914, Under Fire 1915, On the Battle Line 1916. Stand alone titles; Tom Slade Motorcycle Dispatch Bearer Percy Fitzhugh 1918, The Speedwell Boys on Motorcycles Roy Rookwood 1913, Boy Scouts on Motorcycles C Harvey Ralphson 1912, The Rivals on the Trail Lawrence Leslie 1912, Twin Cylinder Racer JW Duffield 1914, Tom Swift and his Motorcycle Victor Appleton 1910, Joe Strong on the High Line Vance Barnum 1916, Jim Craig State Trooper and the Kidnapped Governor Steve Saxton 1938. I hope this helps. It's fun finding them in the oddest places. I'm always upgrading to better condition copies and the others go to help others collect these great books.
      DrSprocket

Comment

The Motor Scout,Bob Steele on his motorcycle,The Boy Scouts Motorcycle[diff than Boy Scouts on motorcycles]The motor scout in Flanders.I have others as well.

Comment

And I think it was something Robbie posted awhile back where I saw the books. Nice collection there Robbie!

Mike Love

Comment

Thanks DrSprocket - great list. I appreciate it.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
              The Motor Scout,Bob Steele on his motorcycle,The Boy Scouts Motorcycle[diff than Boy Scouts on motorcycles]The motor scout in Flanders.I have others as well.
              Thanks for those leads as well duffeycycles.

Mike Love

Comment

There is another book I don't see mentioned much. 1906 "The Motor Boys" through thick and thin. Author is Clarence Young.

It has the earliest written account of a motorcycle race I have ever see. Numerous listings on ebay and Bookfinder.com Quite a few chapters relating to motorcycles.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by pem; 10-29-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

PEM, Thanks for the info. I have the Motor Boys whole series but never looked inside that one to see the motorcycle parts. Nice.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                  X