Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were there any 1974 model Harley-Davidson Servi-Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paps
    I found it !! It was right in front of the eyes the whole time !! To read it for yourself, look at the rear cover of Jerry's book, under the pic, first paragraph, last sentence. It states.........

"Officially, the last new flatheads from Milwaukee were three-wheeled 1973 Servi-Cars, though a few more were built in 1974."

I am not doubting Jerry on this statement but he does not provide any evidence for it either. Excepting it as fact just because he said it is enough for me though. Paps
    That's it. Thanks much for looking.

Hatfield is a consciencious writer and researcher and I tend to believe his work over most other writers. But still, it remains a very believeable rumor and that's probably the way I'll handle it. Something like: "Official Servi-Car production numbers end with the 1973 model, although it is widely believed that some may have been assembled the next year."

Comment

Googling around still shows the Servi-Car's "official" end in 1973. Notice the 1973 part number. These seem to be factory Servi-Car manuals.

============

Official 1959-1973 Harley Davidson GE-750 Service Manual
      Provides service, repair and maintenance information for the 1959-1973 Harley Davidson GE-750 (Servi-Car).
      Item #: 99486-73

and:

1959-1973-Service Manual-GE-750 (Servi-Car)
      Item Number 99486-73
      Model Family N/A
      Weight 3 lbs.

and:

Illustrated Parts Book     Harley-Davidson
      Date:1962 to 1973
      Item#22931
      Illustrated Parts Book Supplement, Servi-car Ge750

=========

Interesting case.

Officially speaking, there were no 1974 model Servi-Cars, but there are plenty of rumors and unsubstantiated claims.

Comment

Here's another online quote.

Does anything in it strike you guys as rather odd?

========

Electric start was finally added in 1964 and rear disc brakes toward the end of 1973, at which time annual sales still exceeded 400. Volume production of Servi-Cars ceased after 1973, although some were made to order the following year.

http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/modules...rticle&sid=926

Comment

1974 GE

The 73 or 74 question is an interesting one.
          Like most people, I thought/think that production ceased in 1973. Having a look at my books over the weekend, I found two references that seem to contradict the 73 theory.

Harley-Davidson Police Motorcycles
          Motorbooks 1995
          Robert & Robin Genat
          Chapter 4 The Servi-Car: Mark that Tire!
          states " This 21 hp engine, first introduced in 1929, served faithfully until 1974."

The Harley-Davidson Story
          Harley-Davidson Motor Co. 1982
          This was a 8 1/2 x 11 booklet available on accessory order from the Factory. The last 2 pages consist of a bar graph showing the longevity of the different models. This chart shows the life of the Servi-Car as beginning in 1932 and ending in 1974.
          Hope this helps...

BTW, immensely enjoy Revolutionary Motorcycles 30-41

VPH-D

Comment

Re: 1974 GE

Originally posted by VPH-D
            The 73 or 74 question is an interesting one.
            Like most people, I thought/think that production ceased in 1973. Having a look at my books over the weekend, I found two references that seem to contradict the 73 theory.

Harley-Davidson Police Motorcycles
            Motorbooks 1995
            Robert & Robin Genat
            Chapter 4 The Servi-Car: Mark that Tire!
            states " This 21 hp engine, first introduced in 1929, served faithfully until 1974."

The Harley-Davidson Story
            Harley-Davidson Motor Co. 1982
            This was a 8 1/2 x 11 booklet available on accessory order from the Factory. The last 2 pages consist of a bar graph showing the longevity of the different models. This chart shows the life of the Servi-Car as beginning in 1932 and ending in 1974.
            Hope this helps...

BTW, immensely enjoy Revolutionary Motorcycles 30-41

VPH-D
            Thanks on both accounts. If I ever get my mojo back I have good material for the WWII into Panhead era story too. Since I personally put more miles on Panheads than anything else I feel some loyalty there. But the 1930s Harley scene was probably the coolest. The bikes IMO were the best looking. That decade plus the early years hold my interest the most. The 1910 thru 1919 period is perhaps the wildest story of all. Unfortunately it would not be big seller. A guy should have stuck with LSD choppers. They sure have made a comeback.

C'mon. Doesn't anybody take issue with this claim?

Or am I nuts?

Quote: Electric start was finally added in 1964 and rear disc brakes toward the end of 1973, at which time annual sales still exceeded 400. Volume production of Servi-Cars ceased after 1973, although some were made to order the following year.

http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/module...article&sid=926

Comment

Rear disc brakes on a Servi Car ?? How about front disc brake instead ! Did I get it ? Did I ? Did I ?? LOL !!! Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Paps
                Rear disc brakes on a Servi Car ?? How about front disc brake instead ! Did I get it ? Did I ? Did I ?? LOL !!! Paps
                Yes, rear disc brakes on the last year Servi-Car strikes me as unlikely too. I can't find a photo anywhere of one to look at, but why would Harley-Davidson go thru the expense and effort to put rear disc brakes on a machine they were phasing out and that could only go about 45 mph tops anyway?

That would be almost nuts -- although not impossible.

FRONT disc OTOH would just have been a standard front fork item by 1973.

Yet that guy didn't make that up. It comes right out of the Harley-Davidson "Data Book" which has "official" factory source material incorporated into it. And it sounds very solid and specific too, p. 118: "Servi-Cars, First Year: Rear disc brakes (late year)."

What gives with that?

Comment

I've ridden a 1974 Servi car that was owned by my late brother.

Comment

There were Servi-cars built in 1974 and rumored a few in 1975. You can find a listing for Servi-cars in the 1974 paint listing. BUT!!! Being as H-D had not notified the Feds that they were building them in 1974 so they carried 1973 serial numbers on them. The 1974/'75 models are easy to spot as you can see in the above photo of the old LAPD unit. They had a new design rear end with DRUM brakes but six lug wheels. The wheels were a total new design and had no hubcaps. Why the new rear end? It seems the AMF had designed a kit to convert a FL model into a trike. A new swing arm to hold the rear end and new bracketry that replaced the fender struts to bolt on the box. Thus the bigger brakes. They actually made at least two of these units and kept them around Juneau Ave as vehicles for running errands around Milwaukee. I had my leg over one and took pictures of both of them back in the '90's but the photos are in a box somewhere.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris The 1974 Servi Car that was in our local club most assuredly had a 1974 serial number and it was not a number job. It had been a Police bike somewhere and was still stock. I see if I can locate the owner. I do not recall the type of brakes it had on the rear. By the way those 6 bolt rims are merely implement rims as any old farm kid can tell you. Jerry
                      Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Not to argue Jerry but I knew a woman who bought a 1974 Servi-car from the same LAPD auction I bought my 1973 from and it had 1973 numbers with 1974 line bore numbers.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

I was at the factory in fall of '75 and saw a couple of Servi-Cars with Shovelhead engines in them being used on the grounds. I wasn't able to photograph them but they looked just like regular Servis with BT engines. I was there for a job interview so asked the guys about them and they merely said they were an experiment that was cancelled.
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                            I was at the factory in fall of '75 and saw a couple of Servi-Cars with Shovelhead engines in them being used on the grounds. I wasn't able to photograph them but they looked just like regular Servis with BT engines. I was there for a job interview so asked the guys about them and they merely said they were an experiment that was cancelled.
                            Robbie
                            They still were using them in the '90's when I saw them.
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Hey! I know this is only word of mouth, but there was one of these "batch" ServiCars at the Eustis meet last year. I have always had a soft spot for Servis and look them over when possible. I talked to the owner/seller and he told me it was part of the last batch assembled by the factory. It was a completely original Chicago Police model including markings. The thing that caught my eye was the 6-bolt rear wheels. As I was walking past they stood out like a neon light. This is why I stopped and talked to the owner. This was the first ServiCar I have seen with the 6-bolt wheel/rear-end combination. There were no hub cap clips, just the exposed lug nuts. The wheels matched the patina of the bike and in my opinion were not dealer additions. I think the brakes were disc but can not swear to it. I also neglected to examine the VIN. This vendor was in the space right on the main aisle up from the main gate, right in front of the main building. I have seen him there may times. I will stop and see him and get more info if possible. Hope this helps.....DonDz

Comment

My local HD dealer who is also a AMCA member told me that when he was in business in (mid sixties to mid ninties) the factory came around in 1974 to him and other dealers to buy back servicar parts to finish the orders as they did not have what they needed to finish new bikes and were not making new parts, yes the last of them had 6 lug rear wheels on drum brakes
                                Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X