Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were there any 1974 model Harley-Davidson Servi-Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were there any 1974 model Harley-Davidson Servi-Cars?

I have a question maybe you guys can help me answer for a Servi-Car story I'm putting together. Most "official" Harley-Davidson sources say that the 1973 Servi-Car was the final year of production. However, I have heard rumors that some Servi-Cars were assembled in 1974. I also think that I read something along those lines in a book, and I think the book may have been Jerry Hatfield's "Harley-Davidson Flatheads." However, I loaned that book out and never got it back so I can't look it up. Hatfield is usually pretty accurate.

Only evidence I could find is from David Wright's "Harley-Davidson: Official 80 Year History" (1987 edition) p.66-7 that gives the years for Servi-Car as being "1932-1974." In the text he adds: "In its final year, only seventy Servi-Cars were sold." Wright doesn't give the actual year there, but it doesn't sound like 1973 when a claimed 425 were built. But when I go to the back of Wright's book where production numbers are given there are no Servi-Cars listed for 1974. Same thing in the (official) "Legend Begins" book.

So I'm wondering: Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any evidence that there were 1974 model year Servi-Cars built and if so how many? And if anybody makes that claim (Hatfield?) what is the evidence? This is bugging me and I'd like to nail it down.

Several years ago somebody told me the name of the guy at Harley-Davidson who assembled the "last" Servi-Cars and I wrote the name down, but of course I can't find it. And at this late date I can't remember if those were 1973 or 1974 Servi-Cars.

Poor Servi-Car never got much respect did it? It was the Rodney Dangerfield of Harley-Davidson motorcycles. But now they are darn nice classic collectables not to mention a good winter machine. My "parts" Servi-Car has a 42 WLA motor and early spoked wheels and winter windshield, but with a nailed together wooden box and a snowmobile seat (don't ask). I should get off my butt and get it running this winter yet as it has been a few years. It's so fun to ride in the snow -- as long as the snow ain't too deep. Right now the snow is coming down and it would be nice to take it out through the snowy forest.

Thanks!

Great balls of fire!

I had to ask.

Now does it mean that I won't understand?

;-)

Comment

I heard that a Police department somewhere had ordered several Servi Cars that HD had to honor so they assembled so many in 1974 in order to please the orders. I do have Jerry's book and I will look into it to see what he had to say about it for you. I will get back to you unless someone else beats me to it. Paps

Comment

Well how dumb am I!! please check my "new thread" under Servi-car as I apparently pressed the wrong button. Darn good thing I am not the President!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paps
          I heard that a Police department somewhere had ordered several Servi Cars that HD had to honor so they assembled so many in 1974 in order to please the orders. I do have Jerry's book and I will look into it to see what he had to say about it for you. I will get back to you unless someone else beats me to it. Paps
          That sounds about right, but I hate putting forth things as "fact" without some kind of proof or at least somebody's memory who speaks from authority. I'm not positive but I think the question of 1974 model Servi-Cars was addressed in Hatfield's "Flathead" book. Unless he was getting it from Wright's book that I mentioned. Can't remember.

Thanks for looking!

Comment

Copied and pasted from "Servi-Car" thread:

Originally posted by Paquette
            You probably know the Motor Company better than anyone out there as you are a true historian. That being said, as it was H-D and the AMF years you can almost be assured that if Harley had the componets left over in July 1973 ( the start of the 74 model season) they would have assembled a few more Servi-Cars. Although it does not answer your question www.dl45.com has an interesting site about the lack of respect this model gets and also go back to the 1913 "motorcycle truck". While it is in reverse, this to me is the original Servi-car. Send me an e-mail if I can be of further assistance. Meanwhile, I will continue to check my sources.
            Thanks much for the kind words. I'll take a look at that website.

This "1974 Servi-Car" detail is the one thing that stumps me altho I personally believe it's probably true. But since it doesn't show up in the production lists it's kind of "iffy" to state it as fact without some kind of evidence. As Wm. H. Davidson was still there during much or all of 1973, he would have honored any promises to his dealers and their customers. Maybe AMF did too. Like you said, they would have had many leftover components.

Yes, I mention the 1913-1915 Harley-Davidson "motorcycle truck". It enjoyed a brief burst of popularity then died a sudden death. Maybe they figured that why go thru all that trouble to build such a complicated vehicle when a sidecar van could do most of the same things.

Servi-Cars were never very well-regarded. Years ago nobody much wanted them. But they were good if you were a winter rider like I was. I had a 50FL sidecar (all set up with reverse/sidecar fork/winter shield/leg guards) but once the snow got more than a few inches deep it was tough going. I thought that a Servi-Car would be much superior in the snow and to some extent it was better, but not all that much. Sure do cool donuts tho with near perfect skidding control. Different riding experience from a sidecar.

Servi-Cars are unique when you consider them objectively. You just can't expect any speed awards with them.

Comment

"The Ultimate Harley-Davidson" by Mac McDiarmid states in several places that Servi-car production was from late 1931--1974. Page 167 "Volume production of Servi-cars ceased after 1973, although some were made to order the following year" I will be glad to scan all the references to Servi-cars with all the info for proper citation and send them by snail or e-mail. I would also enjoy talking with you about a manuscript I am writing about H-D seats and saddlebags as I have several references to your work included. paquette@earthlink.net

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette
                "The Ultimate Harley-Davidson" by Mac McDiarmid states in several places that Servi-car production was from late 1931--1974. Page 167 "Volume production of Servi-cars ceased after 1973, although some were made to order the following year" I will be glad to scan all the references to Servi-cars with all the info for proper citation and send them by snail or e-mail. I would also enjoy talking with you about a manuscript I am writing about H-D seats and saddlebags as I have several references to your work included. paquette@earthlink.net
                Hmmm....don't have that book.

Seems to agree that some were assembled in 1974. Anything else you find you can post here and I'll copy it down.

I also emailed you.

Thanks!

Comment

Guy on Servi-Car website makes some good points:

"Many books have been written about most models offered by Harley-Davidson, but the Servi-Car seems to have been ignored. At best it has received a very small mention in official Harley reference books. Recently it was snubbed by H-D's own Willie G. Davidson  in his own  book about the first 100 years of H-D. This was a slap in the face to all Servi-Car owners!! If it wasn't for the Servi-Car, the 45 flathead engine would not have been Harley's longest running engine in production. The following web pages try to correct some of the injustices and offer the information that is sought out by restorers and those intruiged by the early history of this three wheeled wonder." 

<http://www.DL45Homepage.com/servicontents.html>

The only thing I differ with is 45 flathead being H-D's longest production engine. I thought that too and was going to say so, but then double-checked and it looks like the torch may have passed to the XL:

45 sidevalve: 1929-1974 = approx. 45 years
                  Sportster OHV: 1957-2006 = approx. 49 years

Or is the Evo Sportster a different engine?????

Merely putting differently styled and aluminum heads on the Knucklehead made the EL/FL into a new engine didn't it?

My brain is starting to hurt....

Comment

The key word is HEARD. The word does not state a fact but adds agreement to a statement already made, such as the one you made when you posted this topic.

I went through Jerry's book pretty thoroughly and could not find what you were looking for. Of course, I still may have missed it.

Check this out though...
                    http://www.onionwerks.com/45tech.htm

Paps

Comment

The key word is HEARD. The word does not state a fact but adds agreement to a statement already made, such as the one you made when you posted this topic.

I went through Jerry's book pretty thoroughly and could not find what you were looking for. Of course, I still may have missed it.

Check this out though...
                      http://www.onionwerks.com/45tech.htm

Paps
                      Thanks much.

Hmmm...I could have sworn there was something about the 1974 Servi-Car in Hatfield's "Flathead" book. Maybe I was wrong. Memory alone is NOT to be trusted.

Neither is "heard" to be trusted IMO. Of course, it depends on who you hear it from. If my drunken buddy tells me there were 1974 model Servi-Cars cuz he heard that down at the local boutique, I'd take it with a grain of salt. But if Wm. H. Davidson had told me that I'd accept it as true.

So far it remains a "rumor" with the only "evidence" I've seen in the "official" Wright book, and that ain't much. I remain somewhat doubtful because nothing shows up in 1974 production charts. If Servi-Cars were produced -- even in small numbers -- why aren't they listed?

(Further speculation deleted).

Comment

Try asking the folks at TPD-M. Read bottom of page.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/museum/

Meter Maids----

Pretty sure they had some. I met a girl couple years back who had one. I think it was a 74. Didn't look at SN.

Comment

From time to time I see parts for sell listed as 41 through 74 Servi Car. I have books which make reference to this also. It would have been nice if the authors would have declared their reference materials. But you are correct.... that is not solid concrete evidence to the production numbers. Heck.....even a title is not enough due to the fact that a model on the showroom floor may not even be sold until the following year. Many states, if not all, title a vehicle the date in which is was sold by a dealer. I guess only factory documentation will actually verify a run of these bikes in 74. I went through Jerry's book again and still I have not turned up anything to document your quiry. I may have to read the whole book again instead of just scanning through it. LOL ! Paps

Comment

I found it !! It was right in front of the eyes the whole time !! To read it for yourself, look at the rear cover of Jerry's book, under the pic, first paragraph, last sentence. It states.........

"Officially, the last new flatheads from Milwaukee were three-wheeled 1973 Servi-Cars, though a few more were built in 1974."

I am not doubting Jerry on this statement but he does not provide any evidence for it either. Excepting it as fact just because he said it is enough for me though. Paps

Comment

From time to time I see parts for sell listed as 41 through 74 Servi Car. I have books which make reference to this also. It would have been nice if the authors would have declared their reference materials. But you are correct.... that is not solid concrete evidence to the production numbers. Heck.....even a title is not enough due to the fact that a model on the showroom floor may not even be sold until the following year. Many states, if not all, title a vehicle the date in which is was sold by a dealer. I guess only factory documentation will actually verify a run of these bikes in 74. I went through Jerry's book again and still I have not turned up anything to document your quiry. I may have to read the whole book again instead of just scanning through it. LOL ! Paps
                              I didn't think of it before, but I wonder what the post-1974 Servi-Car parts books say? What end year do they give: 73 or 74?

Comment

Working...
                              X