Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were there any 1974 model Harley-Davidson Servi-Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Harley-Davidson Flatheads, page 102, I reported the Servi-Car was offered through 1973. One reader told me he thought a few Servi-Cars were sold in 1974.
    Jerry Hatfield

Comment

1974 servi

Pat Cramer told me when he had a dealership in Brewster NY, the factory was buying parts back from him to assemble servis in 1974.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        Chris The 1974 Servi Car that was in our local club most assuredly had a 1974 serial number and it was not a number job. It had been a Police bike somewhere and was still stock. I see if I can locate the owner. I do not recall the type of brakes it had on the rear. By the way those 6 bolt rims are merely implement rims as any old farm kid can tell you. Jerry
        Jerry,
        Did you ever track down the owner of that 1974 numbered Servi-Car?
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

yes thay did make 1974 servi cars i have one title is 1974 still has frame sticker

Yes thay had 73# on motor mine has build date 4-74 and 6 lug wheels rear brakes are not disc has rear emergency brakes

[td][/td]
          [td][/td]
          [/tr]
          [tr]
          [td][/td]
          [td][/td]
          [/tr]
          [/table]
          Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
          I have a question maybe you guys can help me answer for a Servi-Car story I'm putting together. Most "official" Harley-Davidson sources say that the 1973 Servi-Car was the final year of production. However, I have heard rumors that some Servi-Cars were assembled in 1974. I also think that I read something along those lines in a book, and I think the book may have been Jerry Hatfield's "Harley-Davidson Flatheads." However, I loaned that book out and never got it back so I can't look it up. Hatfield is usually pretty accurate.

Only evidence I could find is from David Wright's "Harley-Davidson: Official 80 Year History" (1987 edition) p.66-7 that gives the years for Servi-Car as being "1932-1974." In the text he adds: "In its final year, only seventy Servi-Cars were sold." Wright doesn't give the actual year there, but it doesn't sound like 1973 when a claimed 425 were built. But when I go to the back of Wright's book where production numbers are given there are no Servi-Cars listed for 1974. Same thing in the (official) "Legend Begins" book.

So I'm wondering: Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any evidence that there were 1974 model year Servi-Cars built and if so how many? And if anybody makes that claim (Hatfield?) what is the evidence? This is bugging me and I'd like to nail it down.

Several years ago somebody told me the name of the guy at Harley-Davidson who assembled the "last" Servi-Cars and I wrote the name down, but of course I can't find it. And at this late date I can't remember if those were 1973 or 1974 Servi-Cars.

Poor Servi-Car never got much respect did it? It was the Rodney Dangerfield of Harley-Davidson motorcycles. But now they are darn nice classic collectables not to mention a good winter machine. My "parts" Servi-Car has a 42 WLA motor and early spoked wheels and winter windshield, but with a nailed together wooden box and a snowmobile seat (don't ask). I should get off my butt and get it running this winter yet as it has been a few years. It's so fun to ride in the snow -- as long as the snow ain't too deep. Right now the snow is coming down and it would be nice to take it out through the snowy forest.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X