Motorcycle Rally in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Rally in New Zealand

Some of what has been going on in this forum recently has really upset me and consequently I haven't been responding to some of the posts when perhaps I should have. Recent talks with one or two of the AMCA fathers has convinced me to ignore the comments that upset me and to just enjoy the good things the club has to offer.
    When the seven of us came to America in 2003 and rode vintage Harleys from Vancouver to Milwaukee we extended an invitation to U.S. members to ride along with us for a day or two but no one chose to join us so maybe after all the grizzling thats been going on with regard to collectors locking away bikes and you guys having no events to ride in some of you may consider the offer I am making here.

February 2007 Christchurch, New Zealand.
    The National Veteran and Vintage Motorcycle Rally.

For this event I am prepared to supply 1 Veteran Harley and 3 Vintage Harleys for American AMCA members to ride to and from and in the event. You would need about 3 weeks in N.Z. and would ride about 2500 miles in both the North and South Islands.
    Two of the bikes are outfits so are suitable for couples. We would run a back-up van for luggage etc. and I would personally guide the tour. I'll supply the bikes free of charge but if you wreck them you pay the cost of repairs. Please be honest about your riding ability on these type of machines as you will also have to cope with riding on the left hand side of the road as well.

I need some serious commitment before February 2006 so I have enough time to put a package together with regard to costs for accommodation, insurance,rally entry, etc, etc.
    I'm prepared to do the donkey work on this side of the ditch so it's now up to you out there to respond and I'll guarantee us Kiwis will give you some riding you'll never forget. No trailering bikes to meets here in N.Z. RIDE EM DON'T HIDE EM.
    Those seriously interested please e-mail me at;
    p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz

A Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Regards, Tommo.

Tommo,
    What an offer! Wish I had the time! Sounds like a wonderful time to be had by all!!

Comment

Tommo,

I have to agree with Inline that is a VERY generous offer you have made to the members here.

I wish I had the money to make the treck to NZ have always wanted to go there.

Question.........Are you related to a Mick Thomson in oz?
      Met him from another list.

Comment

Tommo,

One more question..........the outfits what years are they,can we see a photo or two?
        I am a sidecar fanatic

Comment

I'm a sidecar fanatic and consequently have several H.D. outfits
          1918 J model and factory sidecar
          1920 J model and factory sidecar
          1927 J model and sidecar (N.Z. built body)
          1925 J model and Delivery sidecar (N.Z. built bread delivery body)
          1934 VL model and Sidecar (N.Z. built body)
          1937 U model and Delivery box sidecar (N.Z. built body)
          !944 WLC model with a Goulding chassis and a N.Z. built body.
          The N.Z. bodys were built by the Wellington Body building firm "Crawley Ridley"for the N.Z. Harley importers "Jones Brothers"
          I'll try and get someone to assist me in posting some pictures but as Paul Edwards can comfirm all my efforts in the past have failed.
          The bikes I intend using are;
          1918 J model as a solo
          1920 J model and sidecar
          1926 J model as a solo
          and the 1927 J model and sidecar.
          Hope this is of some interest
          Regards tommo.

Comment

WOW! Great offer. I've always wanted to go over.

Just email me the picts _I'll post for you.

Comment

Holy Cow Tommo!!! That's an impressive line-up. I'll echo the other posts. I wish I could make it across the pond to take you up on your offer. You certainly seem like a generous fella!!!!

Comment

I too wish I could take you up on what would be a trip of a life time! Maybe some time in the future, I have dreamed of such a trip. I have talked to you Tommo a time or two about my Harley Sport model and met you briefly at Davenport a few years ago. I don't know what you mean about your "you guys having no events to ride in" comment, but I would like to invite you to come to Georgia and join the Dixie Chapter some time and ride in one of our local chapter events. We have 3 or 4 runs a year of about 120 - 150 miles. Our runs along with the other chapters and National meets give us something to do just about every month. I'm sure other chapters will extend offers to host you and your friends in the States also. Thanks for your offer, it's what makes this club great for all of us!

Louie

Comment

Both solo rides have gone,one being taken up by a Wisconsin AMCA member and the other by a Nth Carolina member.
                  I would put a name down as a reserve solo rider in case one of these gentlemen can't make it at the last minute for one reason or another.
                  Just the two sidecar rigs left.

Tommo

Comment

Working...
                  X