Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley Davidson or Indian Salesman Sample?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Davidson or Indian Salesman Sample?

Hello all,

First time posting for me. I found this motorcycle at an estate sale and I have never seen anything like it. I was told by one person online that he thought it was a sample that a Harley Davidson or Indian salesman may have used to sell full size motorcycles. There is no branding marked anywhere on the bike. It is 10" tall by 19" long and pretty heavy. Tires appear to be real rubber and it has all moving parts including chain and wheels. Any thoughts. Unfortunately, seat is missing and top headlight is unattached but I do have as shown in pic. Any input would be very welcome. Thanks guys!
    Attached Files

Modern made model made by someone who eats a lot of rice.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      Modern made model made by someone who eats a lot of rice.
      With mushrooms.

....Cotten
      PS: I would have guessed it was a carousel ride by the guide wheel.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by wbgood515 View Post
        I found this motorcycle at an estate sale and I have never seen anything like it.
        I thought I saw someone posted that they thought it was a carousel ride. I think this is a good possibility, to one of those portable rides that folds up and is pulled as a trailer as a rental amusement. Anyone have any objection if I post this on the Facebook AMCA page? With the huge number of members there we might get a lead.

Mike Love

Comment

Hi Mike,

The piece that looks like it is a guide for a carousel ride is actually the top mount headlight. It is just broken off so I sat against the tire so it could be included in the pic. Feel free to post anywhere you like as myself and another person I found online have the exact same bike and can find nothing on them.

Best,

Wes

Comment

Wes!

If there's two, and they match reasonably,... its a conspiracy.
            (It reminds me of when that fella tried to resurrect Indian with a wooden motor.)

The photo doesn't give the impression that any of it works.

But I like the personal touch of how the rear fender (had to be 'real' for something..) was relieved for the massive chain.

...Cotten
            PS: I've planned something similar for my alley entrance, to compliment my front (attached).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2018, 03:31 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

2 Found exactly like mine

Hey Gents,

Quick Update

These are the other 2 bikes out there just like mine. Neither owner has any more info but both have been looking hard.To clarify,while this looks like a real motorcycle, it is only 19” wide by 10” tall. Both of theirs still have seat intact where mine is missing. I have traded messages with both owners and all agree that what we have are all identical with the exception of style of handlebar for one of the owners.

Here are links with pics and info on their respective bikes.

https://picclick.com/DieCast-Metal-H...140325881.html

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...-sample-harley

Comment

One thing you can be sure of is that neither H-D or Indian would ever have sent some poor soul out with such a poor representation of a bike to attempt to sell it to potential customers. They both had available to them fine craftsmen and good foundry and machine work. Those are just some poorly done folk art pieces.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As Robbie said, it's folk art at best, but if there are 3 out there, it's probably modern Americana from another country.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

The price on my "lawn art" just went up a thousand percent....

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

That one at $4,500 has been listed on Eplay for 670 days. Considering it couldn't draw $45.00 from real Harley-Davidson cognoscenti, it'll be there 6700 days.
                      Gerry Lyons #607
                      http://www.37ul.com/
                      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wbgood515 View Post
                        Hello all,

Any thoughts. ... Any input would be very welcome. Thanks guys!
                        No clear ideas from people on the AMCA Facebook page but quite a few suggested it looked like an import. I sent the photos and description to a Washington DC area auction firm David Wasserman and they felt it was a Chinese import. No reply yet from American Pickers. Its probably not a positive direction but it was appearing more likely especially when you found two others that were very close to the same.

Mike Love

Comment

The motor looks like they made impressions in the ground with their hands, Folks,..

...And then poured in molten beer cans.

I've considered that myself.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Look what the Dumpster Godz delivered, Folks!

Gotta be worth hundreds.

....Cotten
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

I can't believe this thread has got this much leg. I see those China made pieces at the flea market all the time and even Target and KMart for $15 to $20 bucks. Junk is the word I'm looking for. Oh how unkind of me I meant to say fine art coming to a motorcycle auction near you. Open up your wallet collectors. Geez!
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                              X