Two New Guy Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two New Guy Questions

As a completely ill informed person I ask a couple of questions.
    1- Which machines does a guy need to have access to, to restore a MAJOR project motorcycle
    from say 1919 and earlier? (If you say a good metal working lathe for example, please name
    a couple, and so on.)
    2- Could someone be within the rules of the Cannonball Race if they did something like install
    a Model T Ford engine from an appropriate year, (as the T was built 1908 - 1927) into a motor-
    cycle frame, with all other motorcycle components, and wanted to ride in the event?
    *Thanks again for this learning experience!!!
    Jack

1. Lathe, Sunnen Hone and reamers are most important to me.

2. In the Cannonball the motor and the frame have to be original and most of the rest is open.

Jerry

Originally posted by AdvenJack View Post
    1- Which machines does a guy need to have access to, to restore a MAJOR project motorcycle
    from say 1919 and earlier? (If you say a good metal working lathe for example, please name
    a couple, and so on.)
    2- Could someone be within the rules of the Cannonball Race if they did something like install
    a Model T Ford engine from an appropriate year, (as the T was built 1908 - 1927) into a motor-
    cycle frame, with all other motorcycle components, and wanted to ride in the event?

Comment

Originally posted by AdvenJack View Post
      a couple, and so on.)
      I agree with Jerry's answers. I would just add one thing to #1, that is that you don't need to have all the machines if you have friends who also have stuff. For example, there is a lot of talent in my local AMCA Chapter, and guys end up helping each other out a lot. It fun to hang out in someone else's shop, or have people in yours, and you can learn something from them. Everybody knows how to do something, but nobody knows how to do everything, so sometimes someone else can help you figure something out. Also, I'll say that with some tools the brand matters and some it doesn't as much. For example a Sunnen hone and Bridgeport mill are good brands to stick with. There are a lot of good old lathes out there, and they're pretty cheap, Southbend, Atlas, etc. are fine as long as they're not worn out.

As for the Cannonball thing, in general I think Jerry captured it. I'll add that, I f you're entering in a 100 year old class, your bike has to have to have a current registration that says it's a 100+ year old motorcycle. Most people try to modify as little as possible and still feel safe. It's not really in the spirit of the thing to push the rules just to win. Winning's not that important, it's more about the ride and doing all the miles, and having fun riding and hanging with like minded folks. And the build. That's my perspective, there are exceptions I suppose.

Are you a perspective Cannonballer?

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Thank you Jerry and Kevin. I appreciate this kind of guidance very much.
        Let's face it, NOTHING replaces EXPERIENCE! So to me, getting the FACTS
        from those who have already gone through an undertaking, is the best way
        to prepare for the more challenging goings-on in life. As to the Cannonball
        Race
        Kevin, it sounds like a fantastic event, one that I DO see as attractive.
        And I agree that winning is NOT what I would pursue, but completing the miles
        would be very satisfying! Will it happen? I can't say right now, but it sure sounds
        so worthwhile!
        Last edited by AdvenJack; 06-26-2018, 05:11 PM.
        Jack

Comment

Working...
        X