Adventure on a knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure on a knucklehead

Just wanted to share a little bit about a trip I just returned from. I was wondering if I had another adventure left in me so I decided to attempt riding my knuckle to the Dixon meet. I rode 5 days to get there and 4 days to get back. I spent 3 days in Dixon and had a good time visiting. The 46 and I made 3610 trouble free miles. Only time I got the tools out was for an oil change and 2 chain adjustments. I was on 2 lane roads for 90 percent of the miles, travelling at 55-60 mph. Averaged 39 mpg. Stayed in 8 different hotels. Saw lots of nice scenery. Only 2 rainy days. I travelled alone and put in some long days in the saddle. I wrestled with the decision to do this or not but now am happy I took the challenge. It was a lot of fun and very rewarding. Thanks. John Lindemann. PS. I am really sorry, but I can't figure out how to rotate the photo.
    Attached Files

Great adventure John. I heard you had rode out to the meet. It is always good to test oneself just to keep things in perspective.

Congratulations Jerry

Comment

Cool adventure! It seems we've all wanted to do something like this. At least, I have. I do have a question for ya, what did you do with the bike at nighttime? I would be afraid of leaving it alone in a parking lot.
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Nice trip! You can really see the old US of A at those speeds and on those kinds of roads.

Kevin

Kevin
        https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          Cool adventure! It seems we've all wanted to do something like this. At least, I have. I do have a question for ya, what did you do with the bike at nighttime? I would be afraid of leaving it alone in a parking lot.
          There isn't much you can do to stop a thief if he is determined. I used a cable lock thru the wheel and around a post if there was one available. Tried to park in an area where it would be hard to go undetected if you were to attempt theft. Biggest piece of mind though is a good paid up insurance policy. Any type of lock is pretty much useless in the age of battery operated cutoff tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            Cool adventure! It seems we've all wanted to do something like this. At least, I have.
            Yup - ad me to this list!

Great trip jwl and glad you had no problems. Got any more pics? Where is home for you.
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Good for you, John. I remember you were the first rider to arrive at the Utah road run a couple of years ago.
              VPH-D

Comment

Congratulations. Sounds like a fabulous adventure.
                Steve Little
                Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                Australia.
                AMCA member 1950

Comment

Nice John. Many years back there were a couple of young guys from the Jersey/PA border who rode their Indians out to our RR in Colorado, on their way to the Left Coast, the Pacific Northwest, back to Sturgis and home. One of them was riding the '30 4 cylinder he got from his Grandfather as a rolling basket and restored as a kid. He was only about 19 or 20 when he came out. Bruce Linsdey and his friend Rick also rode their pre '40 Knuckles out from Ohio to a national out here. I have ridden the old bikes to several meets but most were just a day from home.
                  Top of Slumgullion Pass coming home from the Gunnison RR, 47FL.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Good memory Robbie, 1996 to be exact. That was myself and Chris Benton. Chris was riding the 1930 Indian 4 and I was on my 1948 Chief. I am now the caretaker of both bikes. I was up to visit JWL on another trip, very nice guy.

Dave

Comment

Good for you Dave. It was a good memory. What were you, about 21 at the time? Tamara and I were on the "his and hers" '47 45 and Knucklehead.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                        Yup - ad me to this list!

Great trip jwl and glad you had no problems. Got any more pics? Where is home for you.
                        I live in North Dakota. I took several pictures and posted quite a few on Instagram. Much easier for me than posting here. If you do instagram search johnlindemann

Comment

That is fantastic John! Sounds like nine 400 mile days +\- ? You're no slouch, that's for sure! (I've done 400 mile days before, but not consecutively like you...you must have trained for that! )
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
                          X