The show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The show

About two months ago, I recieved an invitation to show a bike at the New York Yacht club's annual Concours car and boat show. I threw it out. A few weeks ago one of the members that was organizing it found my shop and approached me again. He saw two bikes that were in the shop, a 1928 OHV Indian Prince bobber that I was just finishing off and an unrestored Prince racer that I had in to help me figure out some final details.
    He talked me into bringing both bikes. I figured I might get a few free drinks. As it had been raining, the machines were put in a carriage house before they were put in the huge tent alongside Harbourcourt, the mansion next to the harbor in Newport RI which is the clubhouse for the yachtclub. I dropped off the bobber Saturday morning and left for a couple of hours to do the things us working types must do on Saturdays, such as go to the dump and get supplies.
    When I returned, the bobber had been moved. Some people were admiring the bikes and I asked who moved it. They said one of the members that had brought five of his incredibly restored Mercedes Benz cars moved it. As I walked closer, I could see the drag marks from the tires. Then I saw that the seat pan had been bent and the leather was buckled. Then I found the big chunk of paint missing on the handlebars from somebody's ring. That idiot and his friend picked it up and dragged it. My first feeling was total shock and and a feeling of being desecrated. The room got real quiet as I expressed my shock and disbelief that somebody, especially somebody with such finely restored machines would even think of doing such a thing and not even say anything after committing such a foul deed.
    I walked out and tried to calm down. A few minutes later I returned and one of the members approached me and told me that everybody felt terrible about it and the perpetrator was a self centered jerk. They asked me not to talk about it and not to talk to guy who did it, as not to create a scene. He said to fix it and give him the bill and he would take care of it. Meanwhile, thoughts of carving my initials on the fender of one of his cars was going through my mind.
    I honored his request and pretended it never happened. Later in the day the rain stopped and they asked if I could ride the bike up and display it in the tent. As I rode up, everybody gave a standing ovation and the Commadore came up and shook my hand and congratulated me on the restoration. Everybody knew what happened.
    At the end of the day, they had an awards presentation. Of course the Mercedes owner got many ribbons, and people clapped very quietly. The last award was for the motorcycles and the award giver gave a short speech on how happy everybody was to be able to see the machines I had brought and they gave me a ribbon for the bobber. Everybody cheered and clapped. As I walked away, totally embarassed, they said there was a trophy for the racer, as all loved it and had never seen anything like it. I am certain they went out and bought that trophy that afternoon because they felt so bad.
    In the end it worked out that everybody showed they cared and were happy to have me there. I never did get a free drink, though.

Its interesting that you share your negative experience with this type of 'Show' after I recently posted positive info on the 'Show' I attended up at Mystic.

The guy/guys who moved your bikes without any regard to your vehicle...certainly shows how obnoxious some of these 'wealthy?!..... pay any amount of money to own a Classic.....mechanically inept....probably never turned a wrench on their vehicle themselves...which seems obvious to me since they could not even figure out how to pull in the clutch lever of a motorcycle to move it....types can be!!

This is the type of thing that can ruin it for other Antique/Classic motorcycle owners that may be thinking of attending a different type of vehicle show other then the AMCA events.

I'm glad that at least in some way...most of the people there understood your plight and showed it by their applause...and goodwill. Its a credit to those that appreciate the value of the work that you put into the bikes and the time you took to participate in their event. I hope it doesn't dissuade you from attending other similiar events in the future.....maybe want to stay with the vehicle next time...or have a buddy or two go with you so there's always someone watching over your interests.

I would definitely take the guy up on the repair costs....its the least he can do. Seems money is the only thing some people actually understand. Don't know if it will change the guys view on life and other people's property...but you certainly should not bare the cost of the repairs.....and 'YOUR TIME' is part of that cost and should be reflected in any bill you may present!!

Hrdly

Comment

Im glad everything worked out ok for you! It could have been worst and I probably wouldnt have been so nice! I guess you really have to pick and choose where you bring your prized possesions thse days ! Ive noticed some touchy-feely at your own meets as well and dont like it at all!
      I also think it stems from the way youve been brought up,some people dont get it and never will!

Comment

I am no longer interested in bringing my bikes to shows that are mainly for cars.

My gut feeling is, the car crowd mostly doesn't want motorcycles around. Sure, the show's organizers may practically beg you to bring your bike, telling you how thrilled everyone will be, but when you get there, that person will be nowhere in sight and other people will refuse to clear a path and grumble about the biker trash being allowed in.

Comment

Oh Goody, Bike /Car show stories. Here's my views. I no longer put bikes in car shows. Even the small local clubs think that the bikes are cute but don't conpare to thier really cool 1986 Mustangs or what ever. I took my 1916 Miami to a show last year, rode it into the show and started it regularly for the people, and watched a rather large car guy judge the bikes from a golf cart and award a shiny chrome Suzuki (friend of his) the only bike trophy they had. I think the car people just want bikes there to attract more people to thier events.
          But it's not only the car shows, I also attended the Riding Into History Concours in Fla this year only to see all the shiny, non running, friends and family, bikes awarded all the prizes. The best of show was a non running scooter, blocked up on boards! The number one antique had to push his bike a couple hundred yards to get his award because he has owned the bike ten years and has never started it! What a joke.
          It give you a good appreciation for what the AMCA tries to do with the judging, even though I'm sure some of those 100 pointers have never ran. I feel better now!

Louie

Comment

I've been approached also by car people. When it's primarily a well run "for profit" event - I ask them for 100 dollars up front to cover transport and fuel. They roll over pretty quick.

I will happily go out for local smaller community events that are non-profit, strickly for local charities, and/or support my community.

Ahhhhh---hemmmm.... if you participate as an assitant judge you can request a 100 pointer to start it on the spot. Just watch the eye balls popping out is great fun. Sometimes it has been prestarted before judging. Or has receintly run. Sticking finger into tail pipe shows proof. Or just putting foot on kicker to roll the engine over and feel it out.

The AMCA as an organization sets the standard to which others look up to. Well, we try. We are well organized and non-profit. Thanks to members. You'll be hard pressed to meet better people.
            The road runs are where the rubber really meets the road. It's the best part of the club for me personally. When the really interesting machines come out.

Comment

I go to an occasional car show when invited and even an Antique Airplane show when invited and I don't care anything about the trophies. There are usually enough people there who truly are interested in the bikes and appreciate them to make it worth it. One thing I'll say, even if I should just keep my mouth shut, I have made out pretty good hanging out at Antique Car meets on an Old Indian, if you know what I mean!

Comment

Hummm.... now you got me thinking.

Comment

I am a field judge, can't start them on the field anymore since the fire at Wauseon. I like your idea about asking the car people for money, I'll try that one.
                  I agree that the AMCA sets the standard, that's why we all belong. "Hard pressed to meet better people", only if they are on a _ _ _ _ _.

Louie

Comment

Working...
                  X