Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying MC Help

Hello all..

As some of you might know I have a free website www.NJHMCS.net that covers or rather 'attempts' to cover the vintage motorcycling history of New Jersey thru pictures and period motormobilia.

Currently I'm updating and changing things around on the site. In addition to uploading some new items I've come across this Summer....one of the things I would like to do is add more info on the particular motorcycles depicted in the photographs themselves.

Generally all I've done to date was include whatever info might be written on the photos or I can get from the source of the photos. That pretty much covers the License Plate number, general location and dates of the photo.

Now I'm thinking of adding a Tech paragraph under each photo so that when you click onto that photos thumbnail and the enlarged image appears, there would be more Model specific info printed under the photo. What I'd like to add is the Year, Model Designation, Engine Size and any Period accessories or modifications.

I've attached a photo I picked up in Souith Jersey over the summer. I know it is a four cylinder, but not sure of the Make or model or any real particulars of the bike. I believe the fellow himself is a Princeton student of the time. I will be adding this photo to the site soon.

For the sake of seeing how much info I can gather on the 'Attached Photo'...please post your info on this Thread.

If you go to the website and can help in identifying the photos already posted and would like to add any info on them, you can contact me direct thru the 'Contact Us' page on the NJHMCS website. So I know what photo your are referring to, just let me know the Photo Page #, Row and which photo L to R in the Row. There are currently about 45 photos on the site with more to be added.

Of course as with any material or photos that are contributed your name will be added on a 'Thanks' page for any general info contributions.

Well Thanks for any help in advance....George (Hrdly)

PS...Just so there's no misunderstanding...my website is 'FREE' to view and I do not profit financially in anyway. All expenses incurred to run the website are paid for by myself.
    Attached Files

Nice photo and wish the MC was in my family! Thanks for posting even though Im of no help!

Comment

A wiser member could probably offer you an easy reply, but I'm thinking possibly Henderson?

Comment

I agree with c.o. the bike looks to be a Henderson of 1918 or 1919 vintage with optional electrical equipment and aftermarket wheel covers ... Perry

Comment

Hey thanks c.o. & Perry....I will add that info under the photo when I post it to the site. Hrdly

Comment

The motorcycle is a 1918-1919 Henderson. The two years were virtually identical as offered by Schwinn. Early 1918's were dark blue because they were the last of the Detroit Hendersons built by the Henderson brothers. Most 18's and all 19's were green because Schwinn wanted the Henderson to compliment his Excelsior line. The 1918 was designated the Model Z. The letter Z was used to sybolically imply that this was the end of the line for the Detroit style Henderson. It was probably with a bit of embarrassment that Schwinn had to stamp Z-2 on the same motorcycle in 1919 because the model K was not yet ready. I love the 1919 Henderson, (largely because I have one) and also because I think it is truely a beautiful motorcycle. The 1919 is a true orphan because the Henderson's gave it up and Schwinn wanted to replace it with his own creation. The photograph shows a full electric model using the factory supplied generator. This model was stamped Z-2E. If anyone has a generator they are willing to part with, I would greatly appreciate it. You don't see many pictures of the 18-19 Henderson. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Well, I guess that clears that one up! It's good to know all the little details. Those early Hendersons are truly beautiful machines...

Comment

Great info exerc...Thanks! I'll add it to the photo when I post it.

Meanwhile I'm attaching another photo of an early motorcycle. I added this photo to my website already but still have to post some of the tech info.

Again I could use the Year, Model, Make and any info on accesories depicted on the bike. Thanks in advance, Hrdly
                Attached Files

Comment

My guess is a circa 1914 Indian ... Perry

Comment

I'd say it's definitely a Hedstrom model. Although it's a little hard to see it looks as though it has a rear pillion accesory that came in 1915. It had a grab handle and it's own spring/post suspension system. Could it be a '14 with an update? It's hard to say. The tank decal also looks like it could have came off of a racing model.

Comment

OK Thanks!...That sounds close enough...1914-15 Indian is how I'll post the year info under the pic......I can assume the headlamp and carrier were optional accessories then?.... Hrdly

Comment

Working...
                      X