Skid plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skid plate

How many still use the skid plate on the bottom of the motor? I can't fit my jack under my 68 flh with it on. Has anyone experienced any damage by not using it?

All mine still have skid plates and some have some pretty good licks in them so I would say use it IMHO. I was a lot rougher back in the day than I am now but you never know what the road is going to throw your way.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

I have 2 twinkie customers that lost engines because they don't have skid plates.Luckily they both were replaced by the offenders.! was riding in Illinois when it started to slow down,no oil.The roads killed 4 cars & 1 bike repaired by the state Of ILL !The other was at gas station & the tank fill plate jumped up

Comment

Not sure what year but the Factory eliminated the plate, maybe later 70's well into 80's. Tom

Comment

I have trouble fitting my jack under my knucklehead and my2006 Road King which is lowered to accommodate my short legs is a problem as well. I made a simple 2x4 chock with side curbs nailed on to go under the front wheel. It works fine.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

My early 1981 Sturgis (September 1980) still has it, I think by the end of the 1981 model year it was gone.

Comment

A personal mentor, Folks,..

Made a simple lift low enough for even rigid Big Twins.

No bells 'n whistles, just easy, fast, and convenient.

Stores with a small footprint too.

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I checked on the year the Factory dropped the plate and it was 1981 late models.

Cotton, I had one of those round tube lifts Easy Riders marketed, the guy who gave it to me said watch out it allows bikes to slide right off! I gave it a try and sure enough! It went to the scrap metal heap! I see yours looks to be square tube, do bikes want to walk forward or back when lifting? That is when the round tube style showed its flaw. Tom

Comment

Tom!

Not familiar with the round tube offering, but I'll bet the tubes were real fat.

We need a lift thread.

Skid plates are a good thing.

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-06-2018, 02:22 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Wrap the pipe that contacts the bike frame with high quality commercial pipe insulation for steam pipes or with carpet contact cemented on. The bike won’t slide off.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilli View Post
                      How many still use the skid plate on the bottom of the motor? I can't fit my jack under my 68 flh with it on. Has anyone experienced any damage by not using it?
                      Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Working...
                      X