PIERCE 4 engine timing ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIERCE 4 engine timing ??

Hello, Can anyone help me to time a 1911 PIERCE 4 . i only have timing marks on cams and crank . not intermediate gear How would i set up correctly and also set the magneto .thankyou mike.

Originally posted by motorheadmike View Post
    Hello, Can anyone help me to time a 1911 PIERCE 4 . i only have timing marks on cams and crank . not intermediate gear How would i set up correctly and also set the magneto .thankyou mike.
    I am not familiar with your machine,but since you have 0 replies ,this is how I would try to time with no marks,assuming you can locate tdc on the cylinder your timing.
    Since most of these motors have the valve overlap centered on tdc locate tdc and install cams so exhaust is just closing as intake opens centered on tdc.Rotate crank slightly less than 360,not sure how much advance you require,then set mag to points just breaking in full advance position.
    Probably stuff you are already aware of and possibly wrong but maybe some useful info will come from a discussion.
    Have fun,
    Tom

Comment

Sequence question: Is 1-3-4-2 most common, or 1-2-4-3 ?? Or is there another crank layout of the 4 throw lobes?

Comment

Originally posted by motorheadmike View Post
        Private message sent
        AFJ

Comment

The method tburke3 describes only works on symmetrical timed cams.

Comment

The method tburke3 describes only works on symmetrical timed cams.
            Agreed, doesn't work on most Brit twins and many others.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hello motorheadmike , Have you managed to get her running yet ?? I've just put together a 1909 but with 1912 engine and am having difficulties strarting (yes I know i need a new pair of legs BUT should be easy as a four??) Any help or pointers will be most appreciated . Best wishes , Ken
              Sequence is 1 3 4 2 . That's the way my valves operate .
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ken Lee; 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM. Reason: addition
              Ken

Comment

Starting easily now and running nice , still needs a little fettling etc , see on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfE6...ature=youtu.be
                Ken

Comment

What was the main problem, Ken? My biggest problems on Hendersons have been 'ME'; but also, numerous places for air leaks, weak magnetos, and worn out carburetors. Otherwise, 4s are a piece of pie
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Ha Ha , same problem , ME !! The problem I found was the exhaust camshaft did not return properly and left the valves whisper thin open but enough to stop the motor starting , anyway all sorted now and starts easily and runs quite nice . Love fours ! Thanks for your interest , Ken
                    Ken

Comment

I had a problem on my '17 Henderson that was similar to that, Ken. I think it is remarkable that you found your problem, and a cure. When you think that your Pierce engine is 106 years old and still wants to get up an go; it almost brings a tear to your eye. I have so much respect for the engineers, and machinists of those by-gone days. They built these engines starting with a blank piece of paper, and had scant history to base their designs on. However, the parts were nice, and new, and easy to replace; so they did have that going for them I hope you're having fun with it.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I think the early engineers that only had limited knowledge and little experience deserve much respect from us , I don't expect they ever thought their machines would be running in 100+ years . I found the problem with a little luck too and thanks having fun with it and my other bikes too . Ken
                        Ken

Comment

Working...
                        X