Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JUPITER PLUVIUS: The motorcycle god of Rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUPITER PLUVIUS: The motorcycle god of Rain!

This summer has been the worst drought here in 25 years. No rain for months. But the day I need to go somewhere on my bike large thunderstorms and heavy rain appeared out of nowhere. A day or two ago they were calling for sun today!

Am I the only one this happens to?

Probably not: The old time motorcyclists used to fear the god of Rain whenever they planned a hillclimb or other event that would inevitably be washed out. Hap Jameson dubbed him "Jupiter Pluvius" -- the "god of the sky, thunder, and storms" -- back in the 1920s and 30s glory years of hillclimbing. Maybe Hap got it from reading Harley-Davidson's bound volumes of archival motorcycle magazines from the Golden Age of the 1910s, because I have also seen the term in print back then. But of course since Hap was a rider in the teens (started riding around 1909), he may as well have recalled the term from his early years.

So here I am killing time. Bike all ready (1976 BMW R75/6). My riding clothes laid out. My boots polished and waxed. My leather jacket hanging there. Long underwear packed just in case. But I can hear the rumble of thunder and the radar shows a band of heavy rain approaching from the west. Once that goes past hopefully I shall be able to venture out of here.

You guys up near Minneapolis ever hear of "Rainmaker" Hansen? He was a very early motorcycle racer and before that a bicycle racer. In 1902 (?) he made America's first 24 hour endurance event on a Mitchell motorcycle built in my hometown of Racine, Wis. I think that 24 event was done in Chicago, but there were other good stories about Hansen and how he got the nickname "Rainmaker."

During races around Minneapolis the sky would suddenly grow dark when he came out upon the race track and the heavens would burst open. Not just rain, but torrential downpours that would wash bridges out. But he would keep riding thru it all. I think it even rained hard during the 24 hour run. "Rainmaker" Hansen was an early great, but now long forgotten. Doubtful he'll ever make it into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame although guys like him truly deserve it.

I know, I know, I'm a chicken. A "real" biker would just ride out into the storm, eh? I've done that too. The worst I can remember was getting caught in 40 degree temps on the Milwaukee freeway during rush hour in a blinding downpour with cars whizzing past me at 70 mph and me totally blinded by the rain. I just stuck to the glowing tail lights ahead of me and held a death grip on the handlebar. Somehow I managed to exit at 7 Mile Road amazed that I was still alive.

During the Harley 95th (93rd?) out in LaCrosse I was helping. That's when Will Harley and I met Armando Magri. I think he since passed away. Cool old dude. Of course the next morning when everyone was going to ride back to Milwaukee it was raining and raining hard. I had brought my BMW up under the front canopy of the motel where people were hanging out trying to decide what to do. It sort of looked out of place beside all those Harleys but it didn't care.

Raining harder now. Morning slipping past...

So anyway, most of those Harley guys decided to leave en masse. Me, I looked at the sky and what Hap might have said, then thought of the nice warm swimming pool in the motel and declined the honor of joining them. When I remarked that leaving in a downpour was stupid some big shot looked at me like I was a cockroach. Still, I didn't much feel like being part of that massive herd on a rainy slick freeway and there was in fact an accident before they reached Milwaukee.

Darn...I'll have eaten up all the chocolate bar I was supposed to bring with me for the road. I might as well eat this banana too.

Descretion being the better part of valor I spent the next couple of hours in the pool and hot tub fortifying myself for the wet ride as the rain kept coming. But then it trickled down to a point where even chicken me decided that a little rain was better then dying of boredom in LaCrosse. So I spanked leather (vinyl really) and headed out. Like a miracle the rain tapered off before I had reached the freeway altho the sky was a dark dreary leaden color and any second I expected it to rain buckets.

Once on the open road it was still wet but nothing was coming down so I spanked it. Cool dark days like that make you want to reach your destination fast. And with those BMW cylinders stuck out where they catch the cooling road mist the bike runs its best. Pretty soon the cars had beaten a dry track for me. That was the day I passed HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of Harleys on my little "45 cubic inch" Beemer. They seemed almost to be standing still by comparison. There were sure a lot of them all headed to the big celebration in Milwaukee and I flew past them trying to beat the rain. That day I didn't get passed by one bike and very few cars. One thing about the BMW engine: The faster you go, the smoother it gets. Of course the BMW doesn't look cool like a Harley. Kind of dorky by comparison, and it is awfully quiet. People don't even hear you pull up, which they often remark upon.

I hardly ever go thru Milwaukee but get off I-94 around Dousman and take Hwy-67 thru Eagle and then east again. I think I made it all the way to I-94 again before the rain and wind hit. But by then I was too close to home to care. I took side roads and enjoyed the last few miles knowing the journey was near it's end so I had a taste of being a "real" biker afterall.

Rain seems to be stopping. Adios amigos!

===================
    The great adventure starts here!
    At the Creation

A "real" biker?
    We all know that real bikers have purchased their first motorcycle within the past five years, and own a least 25 T-shirts with the name of the manufacturer on the front. A real biker has a new tattoo and no idea they fade over time. A real biker has a day job, and a minivan, and a financail adviser.
    A real biker has no idea the difference between a shovelhead, a panhead, a knucklehead, or a flathead, and thinks the term IOE has to do with birth control.
    A real biker thinks Harley Davidson is someone's first and last names, and when corrected thinks Willie G. was one of the original founders. One of the original two founders: one Harley and one Davidson. A real biker knows the Motor Company's first year in business was 1981 when the company was purchased from AMF.
    And you call yourself a "real" biker???!!!!

Comment

This T-Shirt seen at Davenport says it all Real Bikers are few and far between,Harley Riders are a dime a dozen!
      Dont forget EVERYONE was a new rider once and didnt know the differance between any thing mentioned above! They still spend good money and who knows may one day know as much about MCs asanyone else

Comment

Very true.....I can remember those days from my early teens and meant no offense to anyone.
        It was just my way of saying hello to a friend and should have been done by e-mailing him directly.

Comment

And then there was the time I was on a ride with some good folks from NC, after the '42 FL was just completed from its restoration. I was standing at a gas stop beside it after filling up and a guy, who had just gotten off his bright and shiny Twin Cam, came up and looked it over. He asked me, "What kind of bike is it?" Since the emblems state "Harley-Davidson" and I figured he should be able to read, I didn't know quite how to answer him. I just stared at him for a second or two, then replied "Harley-Davidson". His reply was "Oh!" Ten to fifteen seconds of silence elapsed, during which I was tempted to tell him it was a '42 or a knucklehead or something. But I controlled myself and maintained my silence. He looked for a few moments longer, looked at me and said "Nice bike". "Thanks", I replied and he walked off. True story.

Comment

LONNIE, True story one CHRISTMAS Eve sometime ago two Gentlemen and a Lady come from far away with a friend to my shop as we are closing up and want to buy "afew" MCs from us and they are "real bikers' well long story short they come in walk by a 1939 Knuck just out of the barn original paint an a 2300 mile 1965 Pan they ont even have a clue as to what they are or could care less they want evos! I couldnt believe it and we made the stay VERY SHORT!! But I didnt say that ! So i guess we all got those stories!
            Johnny no offense taken

Comment

Hey - I'd take the bimmer over a HD on a long trip, It's a good bike! I've sat 2000 miles into a ride ona full bagger and thought.... ummmm I could be in a cadillac right now and I'd feel the same way. But that's just me. I like to hang my head out the window. And have a habbit of always rolling the window down no matter the weather conditions.

I like the silent response until asked direct questions. Saves time.
              I have a tendancy to launch into my regular spiel or whatever bike I'm on. I should wait and then maybe just inform then they can learn more if interested, by joining the club online. antiquemotorcycle.org

I was also thinking of laminating some sort of card 8x10" that I could hang on the bike when I'm not around or don't feel like chatting. Side A would be general info for the beginner. Side B would be the nitty-gritty tech. for the well versed motorhead.

Honestly it's really shocking to me sometimes just how little other motorcyclists know about antique bikes. I try to be polite. I try to stir interest. I try to crawl into there heads to attempt to see - just what the heck do they see? Do I really want to know? well... maybe if she's cute.

Maybe we could come up with some good standard responses that other club members could use. A bag of 10. Answers that are direct, polite, and maybe could stir someone to look into it a little deeper.

It's hard to be positive sometimes - so work with me here.

Q1- My Grandfather used to ride one of those.
              A. You should look into buying one. Your grandfather would be proud.

Q- 3 What's it worth? (*resist assulting this person)
              A. Whatever someone is willing to pay. And/or an investment that you can play with.

Q-7 Why is it rusty and oily?

Q-8. It's old, do you like to ride it?
              A. It stirs my soul and makes me feel alive. It's a connection to past generations of my motorcycling family. Wrenching on it gives me great satisfaction and pride that's unequalled in this disposable society.
              My modern bikes don't give me the same feeling. Every ride is an adventure on this machine.
              *(can you smell the standard advertising schlock in this one... oh ya. But it sounds pretty good and is truthful for most I think.)

Q-9 Does it break down alot?
              A. Old bikes require maitenance. It's fun! I enjoy it.

Comment

Everybody know real bikers ride $35,000 choppers!

Louie

Comment

Real Bikers work for the US postal Service. "Lance Armstrong" !!! OK ??????? Paps

Comment

Hey Herb, I hope you made it down alright. Weather NW of Milwaukee was beautiful yesterday after it stopped raining.

Coldest ride I remember was on July 4th about 4 or 5 years ago.
                    Got off the lake ferry around 5am at Ludington, Mi. on our way to Detroit. 32 degrees. Dam was it cold. And we didn't dress for it either. When we finally got to the motel room that evening my buddies feet were still as blue as his blue jeans. Weird weather!

Real Bikers. I have thought about that term for a number of years.
                    I first started riding in 1966. My current HD I bought new in 1986.
                    I do really enjoy riding. But I no longer ride my HD. In 2000 my HD's engine took a sh*t and while it was in the shop I bought a
                    SVv650 to ride around. Fell in love with it. But a funny thing happened. All the guys on HD's that used to wave at me stopped. Well not all but alot. When I'd pull in next to other "Real Bikers" on my SV I was pretty much ignored. I'll get over it. There are a lot of "Real Bikers" that drive other brands too. But it seemed to really get bad around 2003.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all have to just ride. Tinkering around on old bikes is another way to soothe the nerves. I also get just as much enjoyment from researching old bikes and the men who built them. Wave if you feel like it and please try and be curtious to other riders and cage drivers. And we are gonna have to do something about loud pipes. V-twin's or fours, cars, diesel p/u trucks, whatever. When I saw a guy on a BMW with straight pipes and ape hangers that did it. It sure is annoying when your sitting outside on your front porch and you have to wait till the loud vehicles drive by so you can speak. I remember in the late 60's the cops were always checking cars and bikes for loud pipes. What happened? Maybe I'm just getting too old!

Hey Herb, let us know how your trip down was. I look forward to
                    seeing you and Jeff soon.

RWW

Comment

I guess we all heard all possible questions. One I remember well was when I pulled up beside one off these look-a-like Japanese copies at the lights on my '27 JD. Over here most motorcyclists salute on the road, but some do not salute Harley riders probably because some "real bikers" do not return the hand wave. I do'nt look so closely at what people are riding and it still might be someone who knows me, so I wave back at anyone waving. Anyway, those most uninterested in old Harleys seem to be the wannabee-copy-bikers.
                      We waited a long time for the red light to change and the guy looked the JD over. Most people wonder about the open valvemechanism or other mysteries designs, but this guys only comment was: Does it really have hand shift? Then the light changed so I did not have time to say: Also my "late model" Harley (1952) has a similar shifter, how on earth do you manage without?
                      What do we learn from this? The only special about a '27 JD pulling up at the light is that it has hand shift!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny
                        A "real" biker?
                        We all know that real bikers have purchased their first motorcycle within the past five years, and own a least 25 T-shirts with the name of the manufacturer on the front. A real biker has a new tattoo and no idea they fade over time. A real biker has a day job, and a minivan, and a financail adviser.
                        A real biker has no idea the difference between a shovelhead, a panhead, a knucklehead, or a flathead, and thinks the term IOE has to do with birth control.
                        A real biker thinks Harley Davidson is someone's first and last names, and when corrected thinks Willie G. was one of the original founders. One of the original two founders: one Harley and one Davidson. A real biker knows the Motor Company's first year in business was 1981 when the company was purchased from AMF.
                        And you call yourself a "real" biker???!!!!
                        That's pretty much all true.

I remember years and years ago before I owned a car and just motorcycles, my dad used to rib me. If we were driving in his car somewhere and by chance a motorcycle rider went by and the weather was crappy out, he would elaborately say: "Now that's a REAL biker." Meaning, of course, that I was in the comfort of his car and not out on my bike like I normally was. Actually he couldn't understand why anyone would ride a motorcycle and be out there in the elements if you didn't have to be. Plus they leaked oil in his driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiskis
                          I guess we all heard all possible questions. One I remember well was when I pulled up beside one off these look-a-like Japanese copies at the lights on my '27 JD. Over here most motorcyclists salute on the road, but some do not salute Harley riders probably because some "real bikers" do not return the hand wave. I do'nt look so closely at what people are riding and it still might be someone who knows me, so I wave back at anyone waving. Anyway, those most uninterested in old Harleys seem to be the wannabee-copy-bikers.
                          We waited a long time for the red light to change and the guy looked the JD over. Most people wonder about the open valvemechanism or other mysteries designs, but this guys only comment was: Does it really have hand shift? Then the light changed so I did not have time to say: Also my "late model" Harley (1952) has a similar shifter, how on earth do you manage without?
                          What do we learn from this? The only special about a '27 JD pulling up at the light is that it has hand shift!
                          Do you have winter windshields and leg guards for those Finlander Harleys?

My favorite question wasn't really a question, but a know-it-all attitude. I had a 45 sidevalve solo Harley or two with no name or badge on the tanks. Guys were come up at gas stations and say: "Nice Indian." I'd correct them and say: "Nah, it's a Harley-Davidson." They must have thought I was BSing them or something because they'd ignore me and continue on with: "Yeah, my grand-dad had an Indian JUST LIKE this one." Didn't matter how many times I told them it was a Harley-Davidson they refused to believe it. Being side-valve I guess it HAD to be an Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by rww
                            [B]Hey Herb, I hope you made it down alright. Weather NW of Milwaukee was beautiful yesterday after it stopped raining.
                            Yeah, I did make it down all right as you know. It cleared and was dry. Since I got such a late start (original post), I was pretty late and didn't reach my normal stealth campsite 10 miles from Madison where I was doing some more research. I camped south of the old Badger Ammo Plant and a little bit to the west. Found a good spot to pitch my tent and hide my bike under a droopy tree along a farmer's field. Glad I covered it up with the camo cover because a car came riding thru there after dark. I don't like to be seen.

Originally posted by rww
                            [B]Coldest ride I remember was on July 4th about 4 or 5 years ago.
                            Got off the lake ferry around 5am at Ludington, Mi. on our way to Detroit. 32 degrees. Dam was it cold. And we didn't dress for it either. When we finally got to the motel room that evening my buddies feet were still as blue as his blue jeans. Weird weather!
                            That's cold without a winter windshield or big fairing and not dressed properly to boot. I always pack long underwear.

Originally posted by rww
                            Real Bikers. I have thought about that term for a number of years.
                            I first started riding in 1966. My current HD I bought new in 1986.
                            I do really enjoy riding. But I no longer ride my HD. In 2000 my HD's engine took a sh*t and while it was in the shop I bought a
                            SVv650 to ride around. Fell in love with it. But a funny thing happened. All the guys on HD's that used to wave at me stopped. Well not all but alot. When I'd pull in next to other "Real Bikers" on my SV I was pretty much ignored. I'll get over it. There are a lot of "Real Bikers" that drive other brands too. But it seemed to really get bad around 2003.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all have to just ride. Tinkering around on old bikes is another way to soothe the nerves. I also get just as much enjoyment from researching old bikes and the men who built them. Wave if you feel like it and please try and be curtious to other riders and cage drivers. And we are gonna have to do something about loud pipes. V-twin's or fours, cars, diesel p/u trucks, whatever. When I saw a guy on a BMW with straight pipes and ape hangers that did it. It sure is annoying when your sitting outside on your front porch and you have to wait till the loud vehicles drive by so you can speak. I remember in the late 60's the cops were always checking cars and bikes for loud pipes. What happened? Maybe I'm just getting too old!
                            RWW
                            I know what you mean about getting old. And yes, those super loud pipes are ridiculous. When I was down there some guy on a Harley pulled up next to me with pipes so loud I couldn't believe it. Of course, I remember back when I liked making a lot of noise too. Now I want my bike to be super quiet.

I don't always wave because I hate taking my hand off the bars in traffic, but I do always nod or try to. I figure anyone who risks his neck on a motorcycle deserves some respect.

The new Harley's don't interest me much either. They are pretty, but they don't meet my needs or they are too heavy and cumbersome. I have a chance to buy a 1985 K100 BMW for a good price and may do so. Unfortunately its not a faired RT model. Of course I know you hate 4-cylinders!

Comment

Over the years I have gotten over my H-D is the only motorcycle there is Bla-Bla-Bla and respect anyone who rides with the wind in their face. I do think that the old bikes have a style and grace that is lost on current models. What troubles me the most about these "sunshine boys" or YUPS or whatever you want to call the newbies is that they do not know the history behind the motorcycles they ride ( and could care less), could not wrench on a bike enough to change a spark plug, and most of all have no knowledge of the ways of a biker. The guys that introduced me to Harleys years ago taught me that when you see a bike and rider on the side of the road, no matter what the marquis, you stop to offer assistance be that a spark plug, a wrench, or a hot beer that had been in the saddlebags all day long. They have no idea of what brotherhood and bikes mean, it seems their only concern is protecting their investment from the elements. Evos and Twinkies will be antiques one day after the hardcore are all laid to rest--My only hope is that they loose their asses on the investment!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X