Leaking gastank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking gastank

Hi, I just found out that I got a really small gas leak on my right gastank. I have some sealer that you can put on the outside but not sure if thats the right way to go.
    Any of you guys have any suggestions?? The leak is really small, which way would you go?
    Thanks,

d.

Remove the tank and have it welded by a professional who works with volatile fuel tanks or patch it with JB weld. Paps

Comment

Do it right! Take it apart and have it fixed! In the long run you will have less headaches! But pts your bike do as you please

Comment

I the course of my short life I have seen three M/C burn to the ground, and 4 catch fire. Open flame or back fire. Smother with leather jacket.

These guys are stearing you right. It a gamble with the stick on goo.

If she lets go under heat and pressure, you'll want to hop off real quick. Usually happens at a dead stop. I think Bud Cox had one let go once.

Heat & pressure. This is why you should pressure test w/ 10lbs. Some areas of the soldered seam are very narrow. You can do it yourself. The real down side of all this is that usually you need a fresh paint job after all is done.

Its easy to see why the welded seam tanks are a good investment for a rider.

Comment

Soldering leaky tanks is probably the best way to go. Open flames are too dangerous. Soldering irons eliminate the dangers of an open flame but you need a big one, around 500watts. Check with a radiator repair shop, many of them do gas tank repairs.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to do it the right way, have it welded. So much for the 6month old paintjob ;-)

dave.

Comment

I've used a fella near Pittsburgh called Elizibeth Radiator who specializes in tank repair with excellent results.Reasonable $$ too.

Rick

Comment

*&^$#%$@#^$%!!!! I'm in the same boat now. The old gas into the oil tank trick. Looks like it may be near the bottom of the partition. Must be a result of vibration. I've rubber mounted - may have to go thicker. I'm going to save my pennies for some steel welded tanks. Yes, I was told but didn't have the bucks at the time. In the mean time I'll try an air test on the reserve tank. Bicycle pump. Try to pin point the split, clean it, chuck some acid in, and from the outside use my 300watt Iron to just melt the solder and HOPEFULLY repair it. Then pressure test again with a couple of pounds- like 7-10 I guess. My 50 dollar spray can paint job won't mind too much I think. I kinda forsaw this happening. Well.. I was warned. Shakeing down a bike in primer for 500 miles is a good thing.

Uggggghhhhhh..... I was warned, but did I listen? Nooooooooo...

Comment

A good quick fix to get you back is rubbing a bar of hand soap into the leak. I've done this to both gas tanks and carb floats. When you are able to fix it right, it cleans off nicely.

Comment

And still we keep loving these old bikes.
                    I tried the little soap trick, seems to be working pretty good for now.

d.

Comment

Just be careful you don't drop the soap ! LOL !! Paps

Comment

My one hour morning repair consisted of cutting the paint and bondo off seam with wire wheel and hitting lower portion with the 300watt iron and generous amounts of 60/40 internal rosin electronic solder. No clean, no prep, nothing. My seam seamed to split lower edge maybe due to the weight of gas, vibration? Stress from three bolt anchor? Seems to be holding pretty darn good now. 300 miles on it. It was my main tank. No oil appears to be passing into my dry reserve tank. So I think that it's ok?

Now onto the return oil line leak. I almost get the impression that fitting the line up, bolt it up, and soldering together while it's in postion may take alot of stress off the line (work hardening) and ensure a good fit. Sounds pretty good doesn't it. Now to just find some more brass fittings? I'd like to start fresh. Who has these? The larger return pipe.

Comment

Nope - didn't hold. Bought gas tank epoxy repair stuff on the road. Soap trick did work. Tried that first for an experiment. Didn't want to trust it. I'm coming over just as soon as I can Matt. Matt Blake - iron horse metal.

Good news is that my wee IND 45" engine is broken in now and I rolled it on (HWY) from 55mph to 80mph for a min or two. This old girl still has some juice in her! For a little 45 she really goes. Now to maybe up the front sprocket from 18 to 20, and get on that HiComp 57 stroker engine.

Callled young kid (maybe 22yrs) over to watch the bike while i was downtown. He was blown away. As was I -because he knew what he was looking at. We yaked for a bit when I came back out. I think he was inspired to build one. The old bobber straight pipes cemented in his mind and ears as I roared away. - I'm pretty sure of that. The bike is 100dB at idle...

Comment

Yeah a leaking gastank sure ****s. Mine is so little that the soap trick still works but it needs to get fixed.
                            Hopefully I get to do it this weekend.

dave.

Comment

Working...
                            X