Your definition of NOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your definition of NOS

I see a lot of parts listed as NOS, but they really older repo parts. Some of the sellers online are AMCA members and "reputable sellers" with 100% positive feedback.

I guess you could make the argument that they are new "original" repops in their stock, but doesn't fit my definition of NOS.

Here's the definition on wikipedia:
    New old stock (NOS), also backronymed as "new on the shelf" or "new off the shelf", refers to obsolete equipment, or original parts (components) for obsolete equipment, that have never been sold at retail.

What's your thoughts?

Your definition sounds right to me. And it's what I expect. However I noticed that NOS gets used a lot by sellers as a "tag" to get people to click on the item they're selling. THEN it is labeled correctly. Or, incorrectly.

Comment

New Old 'Screment.

...Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

My understanding of NOS is this: New Old Stock. Then... for "Older Reproduction Stock" it is like this: NORS New Old Reproduction Stock. Meaning that NOS is an original part that has never been used. The part MAY (and probably does) have shelf wear. NORS (to me) is a NEW part that was reproduced years ago, and never been used. Just my .02 worth!
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

NOS, or new old stock, should refer to parts that are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or substitutions for OEM as supplied by the franchiser for the original brand (in case the original manufacturer goes out of business or is sold to another entity).

If Harley Davidson made parts available to their dealers through the Company system for servicing Panheads through sixties and into the seventies, then any of those parts would be NOS. But if Harley Davidson stopped supporting the Panhead with parts availability, let's say ten years after the last Pan rolled off the line, AND into the void steps the company that made the exact part for HD, but now must sell direct to the dealer....then that's a "grey area" because oversights by Harley Davidson are no longer in play....the part may be not the same quality as when HD sold the part to the dealer.

Parts made by someone other than the company chosen by the company that built the machine to supply parts for the building and replacement parts for servicing, though they may be high quality parts (even better than original is some cases) they should not be considered OEM.

This is my opinion as someone who earned a living appraising machinery.
          Last edited by pisten-bully; 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

NOS - today's meaning - neat old **** :-)

Comment

All of my stuff is MOS ( Marks Old S#%t )
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Unfortunately Folks,

It often means 'New Old Seconds'.
                Both H-D and Indian hid flawed hardware in cosmoline.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Not Old Stuff = EBAy NOS

Comment

Also something that I am guilty of and many others....buy a new part, put old part in new box and through in drawer. When I die my kids sell my stuff, new owner sells as NOS in box!

Comment

Working...
                    X