RIP Don Sullivan aka Head Hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Don Sullivan aka Head Hog

Don was a welding genius, regarded around the world by many as one of the best when it came to repairing "irrepairable" cases and other parts. He lived about a half hour south of me, I dropped off my '67 cases for some work. We sat around and had a beer, shot the ****, had a real nice visit. He said he was going to slip mine in because he was doing other cases at the time, that they'd be done in about a week. Well that was like 3 weeks ago, I didn't want to bug him about it because I was really in no hurry and told him so. I get a box on my porch today, it is my cases. There is a note inside saying they were returning his work due to his unexpected death. Man, I'm really bummed at the moment and don't know what to say, the news really floored me.

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like he was a good guy.

Comment

Wtf is wrong with you a-hole

Bob Luland
      Even for YOU, that was WAY beyond acceptable.
      To those of you who didn't know Don, his workmanship and attention to detail was exceptional in my experience.
      www.headhog.com
      I got to know him fairly well about 8 years ago when I started working on a Panhead project. Prior to that, I had heard about him and the work that he did and had met him a few times at swap meets. When it came time to get my heads worked on, I was surprised to discover that he lived only about 15 minutes from my house.
      He had a process for building back up the worn and sunken in bronze valve seats with a weld overlay.
      When complete, the seats were a stock height and could not come loose like some pressed in replacement seats can.
      He never used helicoils or thread inserts, always grinding out the material, welding it up and re-machining it back to spec using a plethora of custom made fixtures and tooling. If anything, I would say that he was too much of a perfectionist. He was also an excellent cast iron welder who could take a set on POS junk Knucklehead heads and give them a new life.
      I would find my way over there every few weeks or so to drop off parts he needed, pick up something he had repaired, or just to talk tools and machining and pour a few down. He always had a six to twelve month backlog of work and was always working on somebody's parts.
      Don was a friend and he will be missed by those whe knew him.
      Mark Masa
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland
        My that thief rot in hell! The guy did crap work and hosed people left and right. Bob L
        Bobby!

Say hello for us when you get there,

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

To which one of ya?
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Luland
            Just went out to the shop and peeled your business sticker off of the door and threw it in the garbage.
            Fred Davis #9176
            Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Bobby!

Say hello for us when you get there,

....Cotten
              This one made me chuckle. found this when reading about the passing of Old Dude today.

RIP to two icons that will be missed

Comment

Working...
              X