Question about pre- and post-Cannonball logistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pre- and post-Cannonball logistics

I have an entry in the next Cannonball and, along with preparing the bike, I've starting giving some thought to the logistics of the event. Leaving aside the actual two weeks of the rally itself, there's the issue of getting the bike, riding gear, tools and me to the start, and home again from the finish. How have others handled this in previous years?

I live in the Southwest and to get a rough estimate of what would be involved with one approach I got an on-line quote for one-way rentals to/from ME and OR of a 12' truck (bigger than needed, but possibly(?) smaller than desired as a support vehicle on the Cannonball) of ~$850 + 670 = ~$1500. Add food and motels for the six 12-hour days on the road that google maps says it will take (~$600) and gas for the 4200 miles (/12 mpg x $2.50/gal. =~$875) and that's ~$3000 total to get the bike, tools, riding gear, etc. from/to home.

Finding a smaller truck, looking for better rental deals, etc. might cut that somewhat, but driving still means a grueling 6 days on the road trying to cross the continent W to E and N to S at warp speed. Since the truck would be big enough, another entrant in the Southwest to share the cost and driving might be an option, but that would entail a gamble on compatibility.

Once at the start I will be sharing a support vehicle with a European friend so the issue I'm asking about is how best to deal with the transportation before and after the Cannonball. Has anyone used a shipper to handle a bike and a large box filled with supplies and riding gear? Is that a better approach?

Suggestions from people who have dealt with this, or something similar, in the past would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

no replies ? you might try AMCA facebook or Cannonball facebook, pretty lot of them on there

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
      no replies ? you might try AMCA facebook or Cannonball facebook, pretty lot of them on there
      Yeh, over 200 views but no replies. Oh well. I've avoided joining facebook so far and am still not ready to do so, so I guess I'm on my own...

Comment

Hi BoschZEV, I am afraid I am one of The 200 but for obvious reasons I cant help.

Reading you post prompted me to reply because I, like you, dont do Facebook or Twitter, they seem to suck the the life out of the people who I see glued to them every day so I get why you are reluctant.

However, in your situation it might be worth joining but just for the specific reason of organising your logistics. The reason I say this is whilst I don’t "do" facebook I do have an account which I log into maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a specific reason but for the rest of the time I log off and stay logged off and auto delete all of the facebook spam emails that I get.

John

Comment

BoschZEV, sadly the Cannonball group is a pretty tight clique. If you're not in, it's pretty hard to get there. Right now the Cannonball website is under change, hopefully the old history will still be there. Find a rider from a previous race near you and contact them. The Cherokee Chapter from Texas has fielded a couple teams and they would be willing to tell their story.
          Mike & Buck Carson, Mike Bell, Jon Neuman, Greg McFarland (Jon Neuman is a fore-sure contact if you're riding a J!)

Comment

TechNoir, thanks for your response. Google just found the Facebook page for me but, even though it blocks part of the page with a 'Log-In or Sign-Up" banner, I can see enough to know it's not for me.

The Cannonball web site had been static for over six months but a few days ago it changed to "New & Improved Website Coming Soon!" It's possible that when that new site goes live it will be a good place to post questions like mine.

Meanwhile, I've been making great progress rebuilding my Ariel. So much so that it's not impossible -- not likely, but still not impossible -- it will be ready for a 1000-mile "singles" ride through West Texas in October. There will be a breakdown truck following us for the week so I would bring a Gold Star along on it just in case... It would be a great opportunity to discover just how ill-prepared I am for the Cannonball in time to do something about it.

Comment

This will be fourth CB for me and my wife on a budget. Have always driven bike and truck/van to start as I live on east coast. Have driven home and flown and had bike shipped inside van which worked out good. Will have bike inside minivan shipped back this time. My wife as support/driver has been the most important factor in completing the run. Oh yeah and of course a great bike. Hope this helps and welcome to the CB!

Comment

Originally posted by dane View Post
                This will be fourth CB ... My wife as support/driver has been the most important factor in completing the run.
                Thanks for this information. I'll be sharing a support vehicle with an Irish friend who has ridden in two previous ones. My wife is fully supportive of this nonsense but has politely declined to have any part of it herself. She prefers to be at home tending the garden. And who's to say she isn't the wiser of us?...
                Last edited by BoschZEV; 07-04-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

The first Cannonball is what got me on Facebook, I was really wanting up dates as it went, I was so excited about the whole thing. Facebook had the most updates, that's all. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X