Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding at 9000 feet elevation with knucklehead

Hey everyone,
    I'm planning to take my '47 EL to the mountains to putt around a few days. I've got a fresh engine thy I've only ridden at about 4000 feet. This is the first time I've taken an old bike to such higher elevation with less air. Is there any suggestions you can offer or advice on tuning, tools, spare parts, bike set-up or anything in general from your experiences? Thank you for your input!

The Knuckle doesn't care, it will just be slower. A click or two on the high speed if it bogs on steep climbs. My '47 lives at 7000 and everything around me is up. I never touch a thing, just ride it. Spare parts? Only the same as you would carry anywhere else. Parts aren't altitude sensitive.

Slumgullion pass, 11,530
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      The Knuckle doesn't care, it will just be slower. A click or two on the high speed if it bogs on steep climbs. My '47 lives at 7000 and everything around me is up. I never touch a thing, just ride it. Spare parts? Only the same as you would carry anywhere else. Parts aren't altitude sensitive.

Slumgullion pass, 11,530
      great pic on Slumgullion Pass, Robbie. Did you come up by way of Pagosa Springs and stop for lunch in Lake City ?
      Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
      https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Steve,
        I was on my way home, so Gunnison to Lake City, Creede, South Fork, Monte Vista, then south past the bird refuge to La Jara and on to Taos...
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Sweet pic. Hopefully I'll be enjoying similar scenery. I'll definitely carry the same spare parts as always. Might throw a another set of plugs in, but I've never had to put the spare plugs in yet, so don't know why I would now unless the elevation would play with them a bit. That's why I thought I'd ask but obviously if you're climbing to 11,000+ feet with no problems there's probably not much to worry about.

Comment

Spare coil ?

Comment

Especially if the one now mounted is a Tedd's.
              DrSprocket

Comment

Better have 10 spares if they are Tedds square coil !.............& a sweep truck

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                  Better have 10 spares if they are Tedds square coil !.............& a sweep truck
                  Is there still a source for the round Japanese coils? They always seemed to be very reliable. Excuse the highjack.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I ran a round for about 3-4 years and it crapped out.Better than the square coil.I went to the late style 6V coil and my panhead starts better than it ever did.Went for a ride yesterday in good '68 Gen Shovel chop company

Comment

Skidshoe, where are you planning on going??
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdy sir,

He might be signed up for the AMCA Road Run in a couple of weeks. When I saw even the starting point elevations much less the passes as a Memphian at 274ft above sea level was hanging back here waiting to see what the recommendations might be as I am taking my long rib delightfullly bastardized 41 Knuckle with nary a twist on any carb screws. So, carb out of the way, most concerned with this unit carrying all up weight 400 lbs plus after having smoked my brakes in the Smokies last fall and the Alleghenies the previous year but vaguely recall the descent grades though sustained are not severe (right Robbie?) in the Rockies.

The other machine is the trusty Shadow, last time I jetted down to a 160 and 165 front rear main on my Rapide for Steamboat in 2000 or so. Got 180's in this one, 500 miles from my shop at the moment with no chance to rejet before leaving for Colorado a week from Friday. The difference though here is a 46 tooth rear on a 4.00 x 19 (lightening gears, tall, will be relying on torque at low revs). By oft chance is there a Vin owner on here living in the mountains who might venture (hazard) a guess if I can get away with this. By the way, dispensed with the Lucas mag and mechanical ATD have a BTH with essentially a capacitive discharge type ignition, hot will fire through most any mixture on a NGK BPE7 extended tip.

Thanks in advance, yes I waited a bit late....but got a reasonable excuse.
                        Cheerio,
                        Peter
                        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I am taking a stock 1976 FL on the upcoming Colorado roadrun. This bike has stock jets in carb and I rode at 8300 ft last summer at north rim of Grand Canyon with no problem. It is my understanding The highest elevations will not come until second day of run. I am carrying extra plugs on bike and extra set of jets, if I had to reject carb at motel in evening. Don't believe I will have to.
                          Last edited by Buster; 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X