Mystery Mesinger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Mesinger...

Tried to get out of the shop early for the holiday, Folks, honest...

But as I am locking up, I spy this seat laying on one of the chairs out front. (attached)

It's just too pristine to be anything but 'reproduction'.
    But with my limited knowledge, I don't even have a guess what it was intended for,... much less who left it.
    Clues to application would be appreciated.

If you left it here (and can convince me..), please let me know!

....Cotten
    PS: Glad it didn't rain....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

That would be a Mesinger 3. They were quite ubiquitous on Harleys, Indians, and Brand X from the mid-'20s through the early '30s. I had a '28 Big Chief, and '30 Henderson KJ that had that seat. It is missing the 9/32" wire frame, some frame plates, bridge clamps, and the pommel seat stretching assembly. You have the half pan, and that is the hardest part to find. Pretty nice mystery gift, Tom.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Cotten, I'm putting one of those together now! (....you're missing a few bits!). But I agree that it looks at least like newer leather, very nice!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

If you decide to part company with it I am shopping for one.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Here's the parts diagram for 101 Scout showing the other parts for that seat in an Indian application:

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Folks!

It may be premature to call it a "gift"..

So I will probably set about to press out the wrinkle, if I can make flexible forms.

If I thought it was veggie-tanned, I would wet it, but I think not: It had a light growth of mold, but the hardware smells like powdercoating to me. Who pops these out? Mr. Leipham? Maybe he can identify the true owner.
            Still baffled as to any local that would leave it at my door without coming in. It was wide open all day!

....Cotten
            PS: Curiously, early that morning, a fellow walked in with these wheels for identification (attached)
            But for the speedo drive, I might have guessed James like one I use for a plant stand.
            Any clues would be appreciated, Thanks in advance as always...
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Those wheels look like Royal Enfield "Flying Flea", with telescopic fork.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X