HD 45 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 45 question

OK, I've two HD 45s and they both stand too tall on the kickstand. You could push 'em over with one finger. How do I adjust the kickstand so as to allow a bit more lean to the left? ThanX!

Lonnie "McGyver" Adkins

Lonnie I am pretty sure you can adjust the angles by loosening the 2 clamping screws on the foot board rod and twisting the fitting. Check the screws, which are square headed, have a "cup" point to dig into the rod.

I don't know if the kickstands are repros or what, but you can always persuade their shape/angle with some heat and a hammer or pipe.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Dan, How are you feeling? I've been there. You'll be good for many more miles now. A tune up never hurts. Best regards, Rich
      DrSprocket

Comment

Great advice, and even better to hear from you, Dan.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I feel great! Its hard to believe. Had a heart attack on the field at Oley, a triple bypass in the Reading Hospital, and released Sunday. So I'm home 2 days and walking, showering, no pain, just amazing and lucky! Now 4 weeks no pushing,. no pulling, lift 5 pounds....

Fully restored! 99 points.
          Dan Margolien
          Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
          Www.yankeechapter.org
          Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Dan - ThanX! I'll try that. These are original, not repros, so I really didn't want to bring out the hammer and tongs quite yet. And, make haste slowly on getting well. -- Lonnie

Comment

It could be that your stand legs are from 1940/1941 WLAs. Those units used the longer fork and also a longer, possibly VL, stand. That would cause your bikes to stand straighter. What ever you do DO NOT apply heat to the stand leg.
              This book will answer all your WLA questions.
              http://www.howtorestoreyourharleydav...d=5&Itemid=106
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Echo Chris's warning...

I heated and bent a stand once.
                It turned to spaghetti, and laid me over like Arty Johnson on his Laugh-in tricycle.
                (Geez I hope I remembered that right...)

Not that it couldn't be re-heat-treated of course,.... ... .. .. .

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you. I haven't been out to the shop to yet, so I'll take a good look when I do. Been sorting and inventorying a bunch of parts (a whole pickup full) that Dad gave me to get rid of. Not sure what all I've got. -- Lonnie

Comment

Working...
                  X