get the red out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get the red out ?

My left '53 tank is in need of old dent repair and the inside of the tank has been treated with the red aircraft sealer. I called the company that did it and they suggested MEK to dissolve the coating before I weld on it. I for got to ask how long to leave it in the tank before I try to rinse it out. Anyone done this before? At $10 bucks a quart for MEK I don't want to drain to early but I am in a hurry to finish this and get riding.

Thanks, Boone
    Boone member #15941
    1946 Chief Basket builder
    1939/47 Chief Bobber
    1953 Blackhawk Chief
    1997 HD Roadking

When I did it I did not watch it close enough, and when I looked in it the next day it evaporated. The other tank it took around 4-5 hours.

Comment

I use a gallon of the cheapest paste paint stripper I can find at Lowes, or Walmart. Paint stripper doesn't evaporate as fast, and hangs in there better. After the stripper has done it's work, I rinse with acetone, or MEK to dissolve any residue. Take precautions with your health, and rinse thoroughly with water, and detergent. This has worked well for me, and didn't cost as much as MEK. Very messy job, however.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I was told by an old timer to rinse thoroughly with detergent, then water and lastly to put a shop vac, exhaust side, in the tank and tape it to the gas cap spout and turn it on until you cannot smell anymore fumes coming out the fuel line tube. Just an extra thought is all.

Comment

Working...
        X