Need fast help on an embarrassing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need fast help on an embarrassing question

Sorry to post this in general chatter, but I need some quick help.

I just finished a frame off resto on a 39 Chief and am ready to fill the fluids and fire her up.

What fluids do I need to use in the oil, primary and trans?

Will 50 weight suffice in all three?

Kind of a silly basic question after doing a frame off but I have to ask.

Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to go a little lighter Wt for break-in of a 'sweet' rebuild, especially in the trans/primary for the clutch's sake.
    (Have your primary and tranny been separated?)

And by "break-in", I mean like your first dozen times around the block and then a short cruise or two. Then dump it all anyway!
    (There's nothing wrong with a quality multi-grade automobile oil for this short service.)

By that time you will have gotten more specific recommendations from others.

(Most important: Please watch for returned oil under the cap before you start running pavement!)

Comment

I didn't go into the motor. It was a cosmetic restoration. The motor had been rebuilt by the previous owner about 3K miles prior to my purchase.

I purchased

harley 20W50 for the motor,
      HD 60W for the tranny
      And HD primary oil for the primary

That was a wild guess so if I chose poorly somebody scream quick

Thanks

Comment

Have your primary and tranny been separated?

I read that the Wigwam didn't do it until the '50s.

Comment

I'm assuming some time in the last 65 years it has.. But I can not confirm if it was apart in the last rebuild. The tranny holds fluid seperate from the engine oil right?

Comment

It is not an uncommon practice to separate them (I still need to find a way to cut my 34's diamond-hard clutch basket for a seal), but as I posted, the Wigwam didn't do it in '36, I'm told.

There are separate drains, of course, but have you found a way to fill the gearbox separately?

I would just flush it all with kerosene or mineral spirits and see if what goes in the primary then comes out the tranny drain.

(That always helps to un-stick a gummy clutch pack as well. Not to mention an occasion chip of a tooth from the gearbox.)

Comment

It took me a little bit to figure out what you were saying but I figured it out. It has not been seprated. I didn't try the Kerosine. What I did ws fill the oil tanks and the primary, then watch in horror as the fluid began dripping out of the kicker shaft and a slower drip from the inner primary.

The first 6 weeks of this resto went incredibly smooth. Then I waited 7 months for my tin from the painter who said it would be back in 4 weeks (Thanks Starklite), then the front fender wouldn't fit because of the new front end I installed, then the repop tanks had the petcock holes drilled 1 inch back so the fuel lines wouldn't fit, then the repop generator woldn't fit and I had to modify the guard, now after fighting for weeks finalizing the the final assembly that should have took a weekend, my tranny is leaking like swiss cheese.

Guess I won't bother putting gas in it and firing her up.

I've done an inner primary/tranny re-seal before and it ****s.

It's a good thing that 39 is pretty.

Comment

MY Advice (for what its worth!) SLOW DOWN!! Dont be in a hurry!,take your time,if it takes longer than you think so what? In the end you and your bike willl be much better off! Good luck and post here often because people will be here to help you!

Comment

Working...
                X