Auction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction question

At an upcoming auction is a featured bike that is a "Fantasy" motorcycle but doesn't come across that way in the description. Is it the responsibility of the seller to note that in the description or is it a "buyer beware" type of deal? If the new owner finds out it is a fake can he come after the auction house or the seller?

Thanks

Good question & very common,not just motorcycles,and common in antique stores as well.The rise & fall of the vegas auction..got the new Mecum pictures,mostly crapola.A few jems

Comment

IMO it's not ethical to sell a replica or fantasy bike without disclosing the full facts. Sometimes, however, the ad wording is very careful in not making absolute claims. Sort of a "prove it ain't" defense should later problems arise. My 2 cents.
      Last edited by HarleyCreation; 12-31-2016, 03:44 PM. Reason: gave it more thought
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Auction in Iowa 25 years ago WRTT & Big Base sold at well advertised estate auction..both wrong ,came back to auction house & sold with little advertising for much less money at another auction..but the guy who had passed thought they were real.Auction house was still at fault?

Comment

What bike are you talking about?

Comment

Another thought on this subject.

These reconstructed or replicated "antique" bikes are often built around an original engine of some kind but with a brand new chassis. Sometimes these reconstructions are patinated to look barn old. It takes an incredible amount of skill, talent, and hard work to make an authentic re-creation. Some of these builders are true artists! Shouldn't they get credit for their work in the auction blurb? I think so. Example: "Motor is original such-or-such but chassis was hand-built by so-and-so great artist fabricator to replicate this-or-that rare model machine."

Not only would that approach be honest, but it would help document the replica bikes provenance for future generations. In other words, there seem to be two classes of bikes in these auctions: true antiques and partial/full replicas. Shouldn't they stand on their own two feet as such?
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I have had this question as well...

Notwithstanding the reconstructions issue, but related, I was looking through an upcoming auction catalog, and I'll site a Lot (listed as a 1924 Ace) as an example.
              The motor has an oil pressure gauge, (I do not believe were on 1924's), and looking closer, from the the motor number it looks to actually be a 1928 (Indian Ace 401).
              (Disclaimer... just my opinion in these issues - I could be wrong with these observations.)

Does this level of detail actually matter in the older bikes?
              Last edited by DeeDay; 01-04-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I think detail, authenticity, and correctness are paramount with old motorcycles, particularly so with an Ace, due to their value. However, Caveat Emptor is the most important Latin phrase antique buyers should know. The question of disclosure, honesty, and ethics regarding reproductions, and recreations should rightfully be on the seller; but you can't count on it, so buyers have to educate themselves.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Well said Eric. The buyer's pull the trigger. To many cry babies, to many lawyers. IMO.
                  AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                  X