Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering new Van any recommendations for hauling bikes and camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering new Van any recommendations for hauling bikes and camping?

So I am considering getting a new Van. Any recommendations for hauling bikes and camping? I am thinking Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana, Dodge Ram ProMaster, Nissan NV and Ford Transit. I am looking for input from those that have had experience with those vehicles. I dont think that any of the mini "city Vans" would suit my needs. I want something that I can carry one or two bikes and is suitable for camping. Ease of loading and unloading? I plan to spend between $20-$30,000 for a new or slightly used van. A conversion van or camper would be nice but you cant get a bike in there.

FWIW, I purchased a new 2015 Ford transit 250. Single rear wheels, mid-roof, mid wheelbase. Have hauled a knuck and pan staggered but side by side. Extra room to spare front and back for luggage, parts clothes, whatever. I got the diesel and it averages about 18 mpg. Sometimes over 20 and sometimes 15. Plenty of power and easy to drive and park. Kinda squirrelly. in high sidewinds. Rear door high enough to load Ultra Classic without removing windshield. I am really satisfied with mine and would do it over again. I traded in a 2005 Dodge Sprinter. It was just as good. Higher priced though. Good Luck! John Lindemann

Comment

Thanks for the input John, that is one of the vehicles I am considering.

Comment

I agree with John on the Transit. I run a fleet of trucks. Over the last 40 years I've gone though every brand and nothing but nothing holds up better than a Ford truck. The best customer service there is. Don't even think about getting a gas engine if your going to be putting down mileage going to meets. The reason for this statement is that it will just be a period of time before you will hook a trailer to that thing and with a gas engine, you will be doing 35 MPH up hills. I have a F350 diesel with a 4500lb camper in the back pulling a 16' tandem wheel trailer fully loaded. I can do a 100 MPH and that puppy under the hood isn't even breathing hard. It cost more up front but the savings on fuel and the resale in the end make it worth it. Another problem with modern vehicles is all the junk that the government wants on them. Get the longest/mileage extended warrant the factory has. You don't want to know what a electronic transmission costs on one of these broken down in the middle of no where ($8G min to Dodge $16,000). Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
        X