Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anzani??? Cylinders

Anyone out there an Anzani expert???
    I have a pair of what I believe are early French Anzani cylinders.
    Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark

Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

More Pictures
    These were marked with a tag that read "Single Cylinder motorcycle, motorcycle was driven by Mr Joe Parkin circa 1901, Believed to be from a very early F.N. Bike"
    It's mainly the hold down rods and base flange that make me think that they are Anzani.
    Any thoughts?

Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I have an A&P friend who built a replica 1910 Bleriot with an original Anzani engine. His comments are below.

"They are NOT Anzani. Bore is much too small, fins too large, no Anzani design looked like that head. They are motorcycle."

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by petri View Post
        They are motorcycle."
        Your friend might be right but I thought Anzani made engines for all sorts of vehicles including motorcycles? Therefore they could be both motorcycle and Anzani.

John

Comment

Howard
          Thanks for the info. If you friend knows that they ar motorcycle, can he tell me the make and year?
          Thanks again
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Sorry, he's not a motorcycle guy. All he knows is that they don't appear to be Anzani aircraft jugs.

I assume he figures they're motorcycle because they aren't aircraft. He's off in TX right now with difficulty getting on the internet.

Howard
            Last edited by petri; 12-24-2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Mark and John;

I did a little digging on the internet and find that Anzani did build many engines for many applications including motorcycles and for many years. So there's no telling what those jugs might be without comparing them to specific engine designs. FN was famous for its four cylinder engine which I believe was of its own design. Maybe they are FN jugs. Some deeper historical digging is required here.

Howard

Comment

I checked some pics of FN engines on the internet. They don't seem to be FN.

Howard

Comment

One more small piece of information. My A&P Bleriot friend, Chad Wille, just wrote and as far as he knows, Anzani didn't build motorcycle engines after 1909.

Howard

Comment

There are many 1920's motorcycles with Anzani engines also built in the 1920's.

A quick look at Wikipedia (I know its not a definitive source but) it says that "On his 50th birthday in 1927, Anzani decided to sell his factories in Paris and London".

I happen to be a fan of McEvoy motorcycles which were made between 1924 and 27 and I know that their 1000cc models were offered with a choice of either Anzani or J.A.P. (J.A. Prestwich) engines. This would fit in with the Wikipedia quote.

I guess that its possible that there were 2 different engine manufactures both called Anzani much like there were 2 motorcycle manufactures called Excelsior.

But I think its unlikely.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X