Battery charger recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charger recommendations?

Any thoughts on 6 and 12 volt battery charger? Tender, Minder, Genius, float, trickle, smart. I have had good experience with the battery tender Jr to just leave it on all the time. Any other experiences? Dan
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

I've been using the Battery Tenders for several years both 6 & 12 volt. Always kept the batteries up and ready although normal checking of fluid levels and terminal cleaning still needs to be done as you know. I do at times unplug them for a few days to give the charger and battery a rest but that's just me. Kinda like not walking under ladders. Batteries can only last so long as the internals deteriorate away. Batteries should always be mounted snug and on rigged frames I add a small cushion underneath of rubber. jmo

Comment

I do like Magic does and have been for years with little to no issues. It is really a minimal amount of work to keep your batteries ready to ride.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

I have been reading about other types of smart chargers that can perform desulfiting which could lengthen the battery life. C-Tek is one. I'm getting around 5 years on the lead acid batteries so am not too disappointed. I also am interested in keeping camper, hobby car, law mower batteries going too.
        Dan Margolien
        Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
        Www.yankeechapter.org
        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Dan, When I was maintaining a large fleet of vehicles from pickups and cars to huge heavy equipment, some that was used only a few times a year, I used solar powered desulfiders. they pulse and keep he sulfides from bridging between the plates and taking out cells. When a battery goes down charge it at low amps until the last 20% or so then you can finish it off. And remember when you jump a bike with a generator out on the road it will charge the battery back up but if you have an altenator system it's hard on the diodes. the new maintenance free batteries save on the water adding issue.
          DrSprocket

Comment

I've had bad luck with Battery Tenders. I switched to Battery Minders with the 'desulsifying' pulse and I've been very happy with them for about 3 4 years now.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

I use a 5 watt unregulated solar electric panel trickle charger on my modern bike with good results. It's powerful enough to keep the battery charged and unsulfated all winter but doesn't boil the water out. My current battery is at least 7 years old so it seems to work okay.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Harley Creation, Maybe a dumb question....when you say "solar charger", do me mean as in sun powered?. Or is that a brand name?

Comment

Originally posted by armand55 View Post
                  Harley Creation, Maybe a dumb question....when you say "solar charger", do me mean as in sun powered?. Or is that a brand name?
                  Yes, I mean sun powered as in photo-voltaics. Sunlight hits the panel and charges the battery. Mine are mounted on the outside of my garage and mc shed to catch the light. Just attach wire clip leads to the battery terminals. Nothing else to plug in. Works good.
                  Last edited by HarleyCreation; 12-03-2016, 10:36 AM.
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======
                  The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                  X