Creedence "Saddlebag Revival"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creedence "Saddlebag Revival"?

01313_9mjDsOcCG7k_1200x900.jpgGreetings, i've got a deal pending on these Buco Saddlebags. They have been sitting awhile, and the pictures show them as untouched as far as any cleanups. Buzz Walneck used to advertise someone who had a saddlebag rescue kit, but i can't find the ad. What's the best way to revive these ole' Bags? Also, does anyone make decent aftermarket replacements for some of the leather/hardware ect.. Thank You.http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...7&d=1476039909
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JoJo357; 10-09-2016, 02:29 PM.

Soak them liberally in glycerin. Or send to Worsham Castle Leather for restoration...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank You Robbie for the information. Take Care, **M.A.D. (-;

Comment

A little old school, but if they've lost any shape ..soak them in hot water,(very hot) after awhile stuff them with soaked newspaper. Let dry and they will actually conform. Then the snake oil treatments can begin.Glycerin is an age old home run and some of the saddlebag dealers sell oil treatment fluids. After the newspaper drill, oil of some kind needs to be applied in coats. I used neets foot oil until I purchased a mixture from heather's leathers I think. Works great. I took a pair of WLC saddlebags that would have torn like paper right back to soft and supple.
        Ross

Comment

Hahaha, that's funny how the fickle hand of fate works. These bags are going on my 43' WLC Ross!!! Thanks for the ole' fashioned remedies. I haven't received the bags yet, they are in transit, so i might have some other questions regarding how ta do's. C'ya, M.A.D.

Comment

I revived a set of bags for my '51FL by doing what Ross suggested; however, Neetsfoot oil might disagree with your leather. I used Lexol after the hot water treatment as per Worsham Castle advice. The newspaper packing really helped to get the correct shape back.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Actually I use lexol treatment on all my other leather stuff. Orange bottle I think.Come with a cleaner product and then the treatment product. I would be interested to see your WLC pics if you ever get a chance. I have both the 42 and 43 done in Canadian Army trim. They are old restorations now but they have never let me down. WLC was my first Harley out of High School.let me see, I'm 62....ouch...Go with the lexol after the hot water treatment if that is even needed.I seem to recall a long thread some years back and Eric's comment on lexol if I recall won the day. I think that is why I went out and bought some here locally at a craft store that sold leather of all places. Sounds like you are getting the army bags. Cool.
              Ross

Comment

s-l1600.jpgHarley43_2.JPGTalk about coincidences Ross, i'm 62 also--haha. This is my second WL, had a 42' WLA about 30 years ago. The 43' WLC i have now unfortunately has been civilianized many years ago, here's a pic. Thanks again to everyone for the sKinNy on the cleanup of these Buco's. The Buco accessories were made in my hometown/Detroit.
                Take Care, M.A.D.
                **P.s. I've added an old ad for the 'Buco' joint. I went to both facilities when they were still in business. They eventually moved to a larger plant on the infamous ''8 Mile Road''. Walking through the Larger 8 mi. shop was like being a KiD in a Candy Store--haha. The Woodbridge Street store was way c00L, a building that was built around the turn of the century, and right off the 'Detroit River'. Al Capone had a penthouse in the 20's at the Pasadena Apartments right down the street from the 'Buco' Plant on Woodbridge Street. This is where Capone could keep a birds eye on the rum running shipments that were being bootlegged in from Canada, where prohibition wasn't established. Remarkably, the Pasadena Apartments and the old Buco building are still in business. I only wish Buco continued with that Quality Line of Motorcycle Accessories tho'!!! **NEWS FLASH!!!!! READ THE 'WINTER RIDER LETTER' TO THE MIDDLE LEFT OF THE BUCO ADVERTISEMENT!!! hahaha Don't see a lot of this happening anymore!!! **(Looks like a 41' UL)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JoJo357; 10-15-2016, 09:16 PM. Reason: additional pictures and information.

Comment

If we are voting I will go with the Lexol. I have used it for many years to maintain and recondition my old bags. Any other method I feel you are experimenting and taking a risk. Newspapers, or if you go to a mattress place, they have scrap dense foam rubber that you can conform pretty good to the shape of the bags that works to reshape them. By the way, nice looking bike, even if it has been civilianized.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Thanks D.A. for the additional d0pE on the... "0le' Bags"! I hope no feminist are reading these posts--hahaha. Since Y0u liked(thanks)my 43' WLC pic, i sent another, and a Buco Ad also. C'ya. M.A.D. ***P.s. Buco Employee breakaway startups included *Brooks Leathers and *Reed Leathers, also based around Detroit. Brando wore a "Buco'' in...'The Wild One'.
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 10-15-2016, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Very nice bike. A teacher once told me to' read with understanding'. Disregard my army bags comment as you clearly mentioned BUCO bags. As for the 62 years thing, 1954 was a good year.
                      Ross

Comment

Working...
                      X