No announcement yet.

Harley-Davidson's Wrecking Crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a quick search and found the earliest reference to the "wrecking crew" term to be associated with boat wrecks in 1871. The wrecking crew was the group of men who would go to the site of ship wrecks to re-float/remove ships which were grounded or stuck on rocks. It was also used by at least 1871 to describe the railroad crews sent to repair the tracks/train after a wreck. It appears quite common pre 1900. No doubt it was a slang term used by the boys back in the day. It appears to me that the "crews" were exceptional men who had skills that were more than common. Maybe in motorcycle terms it was used to describe the racers who were sent by the factories to save the day. IMHO!

Comment

During the recent discussions on inaccuracies in the Harley & the Davidsons mini series on my blog FB page, Jonathan Rowland, shared the text of a 1912 editorial by Arthur Davidson, that appeared in the Harley-Davidson dealer magazine. It was in response to the death's of Eddie Hasha, and Johnnie Albright at the Vailsburg Park Motordrome in Newark. It appears to confirm, that the MoCo was producing racing bikes for select privateer racers as early as the early teens. Sorry, I don not have an image of the original editorial.

“The news that Eddie Hasha, John Albright and six spectators met death at the Vailsburg Motordrome, at Newark, N.J., on September 8th, was no doubt startling to everyone, but to none more so than the writer for the reason that a close friendship had existed, for some time, between Eddie Hasha and myself, dating back to the time at Dallas, Texas, when Hasha was starting his racing career. At that time we had a racing machine shipped to Dallas, and Eddie Hasha was given a chance to ride against Robert Stubbs, and defeated him. From then on his entry into the racing game was fast and remarkably successful. Not so very long ago, Mr. Hasha took up the selling of Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Dallas, but the race track fever got him again and he went back to it. And, while it was with very deep regret that I heard the story of his death, as well as that of John Albright, I was not a great deal surprised, as I had expected it to come in the course of events. But to cause the death of spectators was more than any of us had predicted.” (Arthur Davidson editorial, Harley-Davidson Dealer, Oct 1912)
      Last edited by dlm32; 09-29-2016, 06:54 AM.
      David Morrill
      Sylacauga, AL. USA.
      AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
      Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Originally posted by dlm32 View Post
        During the recent discussions on inaccuracies in the Harley & the Davidsons mini series on my blog FB page, Jonathan Rowland, shared the text of a 1912 editorial by Arthur Davidson, that appeared in the Harley-Davidson dealer magazine. It was in response to the death's of Eddie Hasha, and Johnnie Albright at the Vailsburg Park Motordrome in Newark. It appears to confirm, that the MoCo was producing racing bikes for select privateer racers as early as the early teens. Sorry, I don not have an image of the original editorial.

“The news that Eddie Hasha, John Albright and six spectators met death at the Vailsburg Motordrome, at Newark, N.J., on September 8th, was no doubt startling to everyone, but to none more so than the writer for the reason that a close friendship had existed, for some time, between Eddie Hasha and myself, dating back to the time at Dallas, Texas, when Hasha was starting his racing career. At that time we had a racing machine shipped to Dallas, and Eddie Hasha was given a chance to ride against Robert Stubbs, and defeated him. From then on his entry into the racing game was fast and remarkably successful. Not so very long ago, Mr. Hasha took up the selling of Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Dallas, but the race track fever got him again and he went back to it. And, while it was with very deep regret that I heard the story of his death, as well as that of John Albright, I was not a great deal surprised, as I had expected it to come in the course of events. But to cause the death of spectators was more than any of us had predicted.” (Arthur Davidson editorial, Harley-Davidson Dealer, Oct 1912)

I believe that the race Arthur Davidson was referencing took place in Waco, August 29-31, 1910. Hasha was reported sweeping the races that weekend on both an HD single and an Indian twin, but I have found no actual evidence of Davidson being present. I will have to figure where I read it but I seem to recall mention of Hasha working at the HD dealership in Dallas (actually remember seeing that he managed it but I find that difficult to imagine for an 18 year old racer), which according to the 1910 census he is listed as a motorcycle mechanic in Dallas so there is a very likely direct tie in with Davidson.

There is also a report from the state fair races that October of Hasha running an Indian against a man named Brewster on an HD, Robert Stubbs and Art Mitchell were both competing as well. These are some of the earliest references to Hasha racing, the first of which being onboard an Indian in 1909 beating Robert Stubbs and Bobby Walthour in a nine mile free for all when he was 17. If the Aug 1910 races are in fact the occasion that Davidson refers to in that piece I would love to know more about a 1910 Harley Davidson factory race bike.

Comment

Locally in 1914 there was an HD dealer age 14,supported by his family who bought the dealership for him,so manager at 18 is not suprising.The pic in Wille Gs book of crate is salesmans sample ,not race bike
          Last edited by duffeycycles; 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

You guys know plenty. It's humbling for a poor scribbler like me. No joke.

ArchiveMoto,

Yes, I consider Walter Davidson and other factory boys speed-racing in the early years a "factory program." But they did not promote it as such. Almost like Walter was out there for the sport of it on a stock machine--altho in 1905/06 already they were building higher compression racing engines. They pursued a simple, privateer, underdog image as opposed to Hendee who followed his endurance riders with an auto stocked with spares, tools, food, cigars, and liquid refreshments. After emphasizing endurance for a few years, Harley did take it to a new level after 1913 by hiring Ottoway, professional riders, and building new dedicated racing specials. To go head-to-head with Indian, Ex, and Thor on the big speed circuits they had to do that. For H-D that was a major change. But they had plenty of speed experience from that earlier period to draw upon. But now they put it into a dedicated department of its own. The endurance emphasis came between the two speed eras. Three very distinct periods. The first one has often been ignored by historians. As if it never existed.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by badger34
              I am attaching the article found in the July 2nd 1911 Chicago Examiner. I see no mention of C. Lang or any local dealer efforts. There were multiple classes of racing, professional, trade rider class and even amateurs later listed among race results. The trade rider class was for smaller displacement 30.50 machines. I would agree it is doubtful that there was any official H-D factory involvement, quite possibly all were privateer entries. Now, this information comes a full two years before the Milwaukee Drome opened in 1913. The MoCo may not yet have developed it's stance against the dangers of the small board tracks. When it comes to Milwaukee Drome information and race results found in the local Milwaukee newspapers of the time never is there mention of the manufacturer of machines ridden by the racers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18335[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18337[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18338[/ATTACH]
              Good article. I like the part saying this 90 mph banked drome saucer will be safer than a dirt track. Again: all great liars! I wonder how many Harleys actually showed up on race day and who rode them? That would tell plenty. In this article the H-D contingent reads like a vague promise. But did it actually happen? Being H-D on the drome, it's a really important question.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

I think Red's comments from the 1936 Motorcyclist article provide likely evidence of him testing an 11K at the Milw Drome.

"When 1914 rolled around it was back to the Milwaukee Drome again. While there Harley-Davidson came out with a racing motor and I tried it out for them on the Drome. It was fast enough, and I seemed to handle it to suit them, so they hired me to ride it in the Dodge City 300-mile on July 4th. That made me the first racer riding for the Harley-Davidson factory."

When he uses the term "motor" I believe he is referring to a complete cycle not just the power plant.
                More good stuff. Yes, an H-D tested on the drome, but it was not there on race-day. For that they turned to the big long-distance dirt track events with their new factory team. H-D had a distinct anti-drome strategy all along which they (?)never(?) deviated from. The Hasha tragedy at the Vailsburg drome in 1912 proved them right.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

Originally posted by dlm32 View Post
                  During the recent discussions on inaccuracies in the Harley & the Davidsons mini series on my blog FB page, Jonathan Rowland, shared the text of a 1912 editorial by Arthur Davidson, that appeared in the Harley-Davidson dealer magazine. It was in response to the death's of Eddie Hasha, and Johnnie Albright at the Vailsburg Park Motordrome in Newark. It appears to confirm, that the MoCo was producing racing bikes for select privateer racers as early as the early teens.
                  I met Jonathan. He's a good researcher. Inaccuracies in the H&D miniseries? I didn't know there were any. Just kidding. They should have used more of Jonathan's research. I'll have to check out your blog once.
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                    I did a quick search and found the earliest reference to the "wrecking crew" term to be associated with boat wrecks in 1871. The wrecking crew was the group of men who would go to the site of ship wrecks to re-float/remove ships which were grounded or stuck on rocks. It was also used by at least 1871 to describe the railroad crews sent to repair the tracks/train after a wreck. It appears quite common pre 1900. No doubt it was a slang term used by the boys back in the day. It appears to me that the "crews" were exceptional men who had skills that were more than common. Maybe in motorcycle terms it was used to describe the racers who were sent by the factories to save the day. IMHO!
                    Now we're getting somewhere. Yes, a common slang term borrowed from shipping and railroad lingo adapted to the sporting world. Sort of like the fire dept sent to the rescue when the local bucket brigade couldn't do the job. Clean up the competition. Cop the bacon. Sweep the boards.

Pem--your avatar image says it all. The Checkered Demon is flagging Eddie Hasha on that fateful day in 1912. Do you remember where you found it?

While the deaths-head metaphor applies to all motorcycle racing to some degree, my hunch is that your image was motordome inspired. It's classic. The H&D miniseries should have used the Checkered Demon in their firey crash scene at the end of ep 1. Sort of like that devil baby image appearing for a moment in Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. A demonic supernatural element in our sport is not out of place and is an old tradition. Instead H&D used a tamed down version of the Vailsburg slaughterhouse transferred to Milwaukee. The real Vailsberg was much bloodier. Wasn't a kid decapitated?

Another, modern LSD inspired Checkered Demon in link below. Yes, there are two. Or are they the same? Charles Wesholski brought this modern one to my attention. But as pem shows the Checkered Demon also existed in the early golden age of motorcycling as well. Some things don't change.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Checkered_Demon

The question remains: Did H-D adopt wrecking crew as a proper noun or name for their pro team after WW1 and then lord it over Indian and Ex like a wrecking ball? Evidence for that would show up in The Enthusiast ca1919-20s. Does it? Previously I thought it did, but my mind is so clogged now that I'm not sure anymore.
                    Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======

Comment

A lot of good stuff to dig into here already as far as HD on the boards. It has been a curiosity of mine for a while so I suppose I need to flesh it out more. I need to go back to my drome project notes and see if I can solidify some results, but I do seem to recall at least one mention from one of the Denver tracks and there were definitely some privateers mentioned at Riverview. Unfortunately with these early trade magazines entries and machines were not reported on much unless they were on the podium, so if there were more than the errant Harley in the saucer they certainly weren't winning much.

As for the opening races at Riverview, they were held July 7-8, 1911. W. Conley took 2nd place in Saturday's 3 mile open on an HD, and a man named Schadt took 3rd on an HD during the same event Sunday. Riders listed as running HD at Riverview over the coming weeks Include Joe Wolters, Schadt, Born, Willie Walsh, and George Johnson.

Comment

This thread has been educational. I had been under the impression that the only motorcycle racing "wrecking crew" was the post WW II group of Indian racers. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpF3kwxZhtw
                        George Tinkham
                        Springfield, IL
                        www.virmc.com
                        AMCA # 1494
                        1941 Indian 841
                        1948 Indian Chief
                        1956 H-D KHK
                        1960 CH
                        1964 BMW R69S
                        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Hi Herb, I found that avatar in an old motorcycle magazine from around 1912. I can't remember the exact issue but it was in an ad and I had to photo shop the text
                          out of the picture. I always thought of it as the Grim Reaper but the Checkered Demon makes a lot of sense too. I always believed the image was motor drome inspired too. I'm gonna check my files and see if I have anymore images relating to motor drome's and the "Wrecking Crew".

The date I referred to in my original post was 1871 for the "wrecking crew" for the boats. It should have been 1841. That term has been around a long time.

later
                          Last edited by pem; 09-30-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

When you look at what happened in Dodge City 1915,it would be easy to call them "The Wrecking Crew" after this race.I still haven't found the pic.

Indan riders in 1920 were still not riding the "Superior" sidevalve

Comment

1921,and the Gray Streak 1915 photo

Last edited by duffeycycles; 09-30-2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Well there we go, six different riders reported aboard H-D machines in 1911 at Riverview. Thanks Chris, was this information from the local newspapers or trade magazines?
                                Trouble is only mentions of riders or machines are of those who placed, quite possibly more entered. I just did a quick scan of reports from my Bicycle World files so there are plenty of other sources that may disclose more details. As for the opening Riverview race only W. Conley and Schadt were reported as HD riders, the rest on the list pop up at events later in the year. In all of my digging and poking around the motordromes I have come on so very little mention of HD, Riverview seems to be the only track to have had what could loosely be consider a consistent presence of HD and even then we are talking less than 10 privateer riders over the course of a year. Being Chicago one can only speculate of some tie in with Lang but there again his name hasn't yet popped up. What really intrigues me now though is, with all of the often misunderstood adoration of "board track" motorcycles what would these 1911 machines, true motordrome Harley's (seemingly all singles) look like, I bet there are some great lines there to be found. This machine in the Suerias collection is described as a tribute and a conversation piece but may not be too far off from these 1911 Riverview machines.26.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X