Harley-Davidson's Wrecking Crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
    Herb,I think that Gene walker is correct,I said Otto Walker?They both went back & forth,Indian/Hd.Didn't HD have a "Harley Davidson Wrecking Crew" banner in front of the racing boys at the 1915 Dodge City Race?That would make sense,they were fairly new to the scene.The Parkhurst postcard is mine,I think the Ludlow was in the Early Riders mag/book by Easy Riders[maybe owned by spider?]Can't remember where I copied the Weishaer one.These are the only ones I have ever seen...any others out there?The owner of the unrestored Weishaer bike saw my print of the Parkhurst card & did not know about these cards.Here is link to the 1919 Marion race video..I wonder if that was what Parkhurst showed at these meetings?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...34052249,d.eWE
    I don't recall a "wrecking crew" banner in any 1915 Dodge City photo. But if one exists we need to see it. Personally, I still think it was post-WW1 term for H-D, but I never say never having been fooled or surprised so many times in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if wrecking crew the term was used back in pre-mc bicycle racing days. The truth is very murky and myths abound. That's what keeps it fun and interesting.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Mike Smith had a factory linen drawing of the 1913 racing single frame.The book by Willie G,100 years of HD had a 1912 pic of a factory racing style crate on the docks[with the hooked C Bar & Shield]These crates looked like a suitcase with riveted edges,unlike the regular wooden bike crates.This postcard was on ebay a while back,maybe the one in that crate!!
      That sure looks like an original photo ca1912/1913 factory racer to me. Cool little bike.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======

Comment

From what I have found in newspapers clippings the term "Wrecking Crew" was commonly used to describe baseball teams of the day, from Pro teams like the Yankees and Detroit Tigers and on down into the minors, so it is possible that the name was simply applied by the sports writers of the day. That may also explain Excelsior using the term if that can be confirmed. I've always considered/assumed that the HD Wrecking Crew really only existed between '19 and '22, though most modern accounts seem to lump in the riders from the prewar years on up through the late 20's. The question of origin and the lack of published primary source materials leads me to believe that the team name may be more a construct of modern lore.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          And why would an AMCA judge say that Roger? The photograph gives it provenance, and if the overall bike looks ancient, who's to say. When unusual bikes show up, it opens a dialogue and that is how their history begins to be revealed. A perfect example of that is the Isam's '05-'06 Harley-Davidson that was found here in Florida. So much of our motorcycle history is lost, and unknown, and who knows what it will take to find obscure bits of info locked away in an attic somewhere. A bit of awareness is what could possibly make someone look in that attic.
          Very well stated.

Every time I deep-research an aspect of early American motorcyling I'm amazed what comes to light. Often it's mind blowing. Like you say, much has been lost or forgotten. Many falsehoods based on early rivalries or jealousy have been endlessly repeated. Plus the factories were all great liars on the advertising page and remain that way today! But if we keep looking in the attic, grandpa's junk pile, and in the old barn down the road, new info, relics, and bits of truth will come to light. The best collective spirit of the antique American motorcycle seems to reside in the AMCA more than anywhere else.
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======

Comment

HD in 1993 used the term in this postcard of the1915 dodge City Race

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...-/291690349165

Comment

When I first showed that early racer pic,some were saying"could be the first" others said it had to be privateer,they didn't have a race bike yet.I believe it is too good to be privateer & is indeed an early HD factory racer.That postcard sold for hundreds of $ less than I expected.The silvering of the image says it was an early image not faked

Comment

Originally posted by badger34
                Back to Chris' original question on the first use of the Wrecking Crew moniker, I find nothing predating Herb's July 1919 Columbus race report. I was looking toward Marion 1919 but that event was held a month later in August.

In the 1909-1912 period of where H-D didn't officially endorse speed contest racing, H-D machines did participate regularly at the state fair grounds in West Allis. It appears there were single races held in both 1909 and 1910 with multiple races held in both 1911 and 1912. During these years Frank Ollerman was quite successful, other H-D mounted riders included Edwin & Oscar Becker, Lacy Crolius, Ralph Comstock and Walter Ferch. In September of 1912 a rift between the fair board and H-D along with the F.A.M. ended racing at the Milwaukee Mile for two years. H-D had built some custom race machines and wanted to test a day before the event, they were given permission by an assistant fair board member but after only a few laps on one machine were told to pack up after complaints from horsemen on the grounds. This initially angered Walter Davidson. Then on race day the motorcyclists were to follow a horse program which ran late, by the time track preparations were done it was too dark to race. The fair board and F.A.M. agreed to postpone the race until the next day, but racers declared they were presented with an unsafe track and shipped machines off to Detroit for the next race. All sides were unhappy and a merry little war started.
                I remember that track controversy. Didn't the horse guys claim the bikes were tearing up the surface? Probably the terrible noise and hydrocarbon stink also offended their pastoral sensibilities and scared their precious horses. It was, after all, their track!

You rightly point out that H-D's ca1908-1912 relationship to track speed racing was complicated and was never entirely shut off. Ollerman, Crolius, and the Beckers were factory employees. The 1908 racing doubles were stone-cold factory and no mistake. Harley did like to say "private owner" quite a bit. It wasn't always true.

What H-D really did seem to shy away from was motordrome or "murderdrome" racing--the name says it all. What strikes me most is that H-D company President Walter Davidson was risking his neck on the speed circuit in 1907, but in 1908 and later (?)entirely(?) switched over to endurance riding. To me the firm's president out racing means FACTORY TEAM. That's why it's so amusing that countless books say over and over no H-D factory racing team until 1914. H-D's advertising reflected that change of emphasis in 1908--but again--factory speed racing support was probably never entirely cut off. But they did draw the line on the motordrome in spite of what a recent TV miniseries has portrayed.

PS I'll get back to you on your Deckert question, OK?
                Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

HD in 1993 used the term in this postcard of the1915 dodge City Race

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...-/291690349165
                  Very interesting! Never saw that 1993 postcard portraying the 1915 Dodge City race. Obviously the modern company has attached the "Wrecking Crew" title to this 1915 race team but is it truth or fable?

Coming from a billion dollar company with large archival resources and highly paid employees, who are we to say they're wrong? Sort of like going to the Vatican and telling the Pope he's FOS! Until proven otherwise, however, this official modern postcard must be considered spurious. Because when it comes to the truth, the modern firm's record is not too good. One only has peruse the official H-D website history timeline to find a plethora of obvious mistakes, falsehoods, and myths. Things that can and have been documented. That continues to baffles me. I don't get it. Will someone please explain? (There's a joke there you know).
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

When I first showed that early racer pic,some were saying"could be the first" others said it had to be privateer,they didn't have a race bike yet.I believe it is too good to be privateer & is indeed an early HD factory racer.That postcard sold for hundreds of $ less than I expected.The silvering of the image says it was an early image not faked
                    Actually, the first H-D ever built was a "factory" racer. First known time out they raced it! Of course the factory was just a shed.

IMHO that bike in your photo is a factory racer. If you had the money or good connections the original H-D factory would build you most anything. That continued right on through Knucklehead times and probably later.
                    Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-28-2016, 02:13 PM.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======

Comment

Originally posted by badger34
                      I have found two 1911 mentions of H-D at Chicago's Riverview Motordrome. One is an article on manufacturer support where Excelsior is reported to have at least ten machines entered in different events. H-D it is reported will be almost as well represented numerically. Second, is Joe Wolters shown finishing second in a 2-mile professional heat race aboard H-D.

Thanks for mentioning the message I sent. Yes take your time, I appreciate you looking back into your Deckert files. I tried to private message through the forum but your inbox is full.
                      On my work computer I may have those 1911 refs. But mine are just an H-D being tested on the drome. It sounds like you found them in a drome race. I wonder if maybe Lang was doing that on his own, or possibly on behalf of H-D? Any clue in the article? Can we see it somewhere?

Certainly H-D drome racing refs will be found. Any rich guy or dealer could compete under FAM rules. But factory support seems to be entirely absent--esp on the hometown Milwaukee motordrome. H-D might have tested the waters though. It's an important question. Racing was good publicity, but it sure did cost!
                      Last edited by HarleyCreation; 09-28-2016, 02:54 PM.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======

Comment

Originally posted by ArchiveMoto View Post
                        From what I have found in newspapers clippings the term "Wrecking Crew" was commonly used to describe baseball teams of the day, from Pro teams like the Yankees and Detroit Tigers and on down into the minors, so it is possible that the name was simply applied by the sports writers of the day. That may also explain Excelsior using the term if that can be confirmed. I've always considered/assumed that the HD Wrecking Crew really only existed between '19 and '22, though most modern accounts seem to lump in the riders from the prewar years on up through the late 20's. The question of origin and the lack of published primary source materials leads me to believe that the team name may be more a construct of modern lore.
                        Aha! I think you've hit upon the truth. What years did you find it for baseball teams? Pre-1919? In the 1919 H-D ref I posted "wrecking crew" reads like it is being used as a generic term. Not yet turned into a proper noun in caps specifically for H-D's team.

When and if did that happen?

By the way, it looks like modern Indian-Polaris just copped the Wrecking Crew name as it's own. Funny that H-D didn't have it copyrighted.

Oops!

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/09/2...wrecking-crew/
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                          I remember that track controversy. Didn't the horse guys claim the bikes were tearing up the surface? Probably the terrible noise and hydrocarbon stink also offended their pastoral sensibilities and scared their precious horses. It was, after all, their track!

You rightly point out that H-D's ca1908-1912 relationship to track speed racing was complicated and was never entirely shut off. Ollerman, Crolius, and the Beckers were factory employees. The 1908 racing doubles were stone-cold factory and no mistake. Harley did like to say "private owner" quite a bit. It wasn't always true.

What H-D really did seem to shy away from was motordrome or "murderdrome" racing--the name says it all. What strikes me most is that H-D company President Walter Davidson was risking his neck on the speed circuit in 1907, but in 1908 and later (?)entirely(?) switched over to endurance riding. To me the firm's president out racing means FACTORY TEAM. That's why it's so amusing that countless books say over and over no H-D factory racing team until 1914. H-D's advertising reflected that change of emphasis in 1908--but again--factory speed racing support was probably never entirely cut off. But they did draw the line on the motordrome in spite of what a recent TV miniseries has portrayed.

PS I'll get back to you on your Deckert question, OK?
                          Herb, do you consider the factory workers/founders that were racing pre-1914 as a factory program? I considered their entries more as "heavily invested" privateers rather than a factory team, though in several later endurance events they are portrayed as a team. I too have credited the Ottaway team evolution of 1914 as the official beginning of a factory program (i.e purpose-built and coordinated machines, spares, tools, uniforms, ect.) and Irving Janke as the first official podium with his 3rd place in Savannah on Thanksgiving Day 1914, despite numerous "testing" races and podiums throughout that year.

As for HD on the pre-speedway motordromes, Badger you I have been discussing this to a degree already with some interesting theories. In all of my digging I have uncovered only a few mentions of a Harley-Davidson ever being run in any sanctioned events, and even then they are seemingly being run by privateer's or as early mounts for young riders before their professional debut. The idea of Ottaway testing his developmental 11k on the boards in Milwaukee as a result of the dust up with the folks at the local horse track is by far the most intriguing to me... throw in the idea of a young lanky redheaded crack fresh off the train from Denver (racing Indian's no less) and my hairs start to stand up. Ha! Until more substantial evidence turns up though the idea that HD had anything to do with motordrome racing before the post-1915 speedway boom will remain in my eyes as an extremely rare exception.

Comment

Seeing as we are getting into a bit of the earlier history as well as the simple point that photos are awesome, here is a photo of Frank Ollerman for reference. It was taken at the FAM Championship races at Fort Erie, Ontario, July 1911. Indian and Merkel fielded the largest factory teams of the event, Emblem fielded a small team, L. Steinhauser ran the Bradley, and Ollerman was the only HD man in the mix, Indian's Frank Hart took top honors. Unfortunately Ollerman, who was reported in the July 22, 1911 issue of Bicycling World and Motorcycle Review as riding a new "chain driver" went home empty handed, being bested most often by William J. Teubner and his iconic bent tank Merkel twin.

The other joe schmoes in the photo are veteran cyclist Edward Buffum and Joseph Merkel, though Im afraid I haven't been able to identify the man in the background. I believe that Merkel had just sold the company to the Miami Cycle and Mfg. Co., and Buffum, who had acted as Merkel's sales manager had recently been hired as sales manager at Hendee.

From what I understand of Frank Ollerman he was one of the original 18 employees brought into the Motor Co. when they incorporated in 1907. Initially hired as a mechanic, he was skilled enough to handle most any job given to him and as such handled a number of responsibilities. He also was one of the employees who was most often found on the track resulting in him becoming a factory test rider. He worked at the factory and was a racer, so I suppose that would make him a pre-1914 factory racer? My notes also say that by 1913 he was the foreman of the twin production line, though no doubt most of my info has come from those of you engaged in this thread already.

view-27.jpg

Comment

Maldwyn Jones said Joe Merkel was an odd man, and very camera shy. You really don't see many pictures of him considering his name was on his motorcycles. Thanks for the picture ArchiveMoto.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                                Can you document the source? That would suggest that originally it was something of a generic term among rival factories. Not H-D specific. That would be cool to know.
                                The reference appeared in an Excelsior ad in Motorcycle Illustrated, but I imagine it was used in other trade journals. We reprinted it in American Excelsior, our recent history of Excelsior and Henderson.

As mentioned in other posts, the term was common at the time. It’s not completely clear whether the factory was trying to us it as a nick name for Excelsior racers. They did use “Big X Team” as such in the teens.

On the other hand, 1920 was a difficult year for the factory in competition. They soldiered on in 1919 with the pre-war Big Valve races that were not really competitive, while the OHC racers were being developed. However, that effort was stopped by the death of Bob Perry at the beginning of 1920. Further resources were devoted to the new Henderson models.

---------- Bob Turek

Comment

Working...
                                X