Mystery Engines, British or European?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Engines, British or European?

I got these two engines in with a load from the Gary Hite estate.
    I'm pretty sure that they are British or European.
    From the stuff that Gary collected, I would guess that they are competition related.
    Please let me know what you think and if you need more pictures, let me know.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

This is the other engine. It is a two stroke.

Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hello Mark, I have no idea about the 2 stroke but the first engine has a bottom end that looks a bit like a Royal Enfield. However the top end looks different to the Enfields that I have seen before although if you are right that they are competition related then the top end could well be a non standard one. The thing that made me think Royal Enfield was the oil filler which is not common, most old British Bikes are dry sump. If you Google Royal Enfield Engines then you will see that the bottom end looks very similar.

Sorry I cant be more help.

John

Comment

Mark, I forgot to add that this is a hunch and not a definitive ID.

Comment

Mark,
          The so called 2 stroke is a 1950 250cc ohv C11 BSA motor.
          I don't think the top motor is Royal Enfield as it doesn't have the characteristic oil pump running for and aft at the bottom of the timing case.
          Panther and Calthorpe spring to mind as having the oil tank in the crankcase but most Panthers had ribs running fore and aft in this region so it may not be Panther.
          I'll do some looking and try to give you a positive answer if someone doesn't come up with a positive id soon.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I suddenly realised that the oil pump is in the outer timing case cover and that part is missing from the motor.
            John I think your id is probably right and the CO letters prefixing the numerals could indicate a Model CO Royal Enfield.
            Mark I don't think either motor is what you would even consider a sports motor let alone a competition motor.
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks for the ID John and Tommo.
              I had a real brain fart saying that one was a two stroke. I guess I just saw the port on the side of the cylinder and ignored the valves in the head. Duh! I didn't realize the "port" is just a cavity for the pushrods.
              I believe that you are correct about them not being competition motors. It was just an area that Gary was a big collector in.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...sh-or-European
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                  I suddenly realised that the oil pump is in the outer timing case cover and that part is missing from the motor.
                  John I think your id is probably right and the CO letters prefixing the numerals could indicate a Model CO Royal Enfield.
                  Mark I don't think either motor is what you would even consider a sports motor let alone a competition motor.
                  ZC11 31145 indicates a 1952 BSA 250cc motor for a model C11.
                  If the Royal Enfield motor stamped CO 2181 and 33097 has a cylinder bore of 70 mm and stroke of 90 mm it is a 350 cc engine and probably a model CO made in 1946 and 1947. (many of these were refurbished WD/CO bikes originally made for the British military during WWII)

AFJ

Comment

Working...
                  X