Missing Rail Car full of Flying Merkels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Rail Car full of Flying Merkels

Found this article in a April 17th, 1913 Motorcycle Illustrated magazine. Is there a rail car full of Flying Merkels laying at the bottom of a Ohio river?
    Wouldn't that be something to find! I wonder what would be left.
    Attached Files

I've often wondered; if you could shake this world out through an antique motorcycle filter, what would show up. I remember when we were about 10 or 11 years old, my friend David and I found an old motorcycle in the woods. Have no idea what it was but it was early. I guess our little blue marble is getting so over populated that all the good stuff has been found. Love that article PEM, that's going to be a fun little gem to ponder in bumper to bumper traffic.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, enjoyed your story from your youth. Reminds me that when I was the same age we walked to school everyday, rain or shine. past an old building next to the river.
      Parked out back was an original horse drawn steam fire engine we used to climb on. Fast forward 50 years and I found out that inside that very same building was(were)
      old motorcycles. The owner was an Indian and Comet motorcycle dealer in 1910. Whatever happened to the motorcycles is unknown. The steam engine was restored and the last time I saw it it was in some guys front yard. I also found out their was an Excelsior dealer too. Years later when I was doing my research nobody I talked to,
      including the relatives of that building owner, knew we had two motorcycle dealers in 1910. Kinda sad actually.

Comment

Working...
      X