piston coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piston coatings

hi folks - in the last club magazine, red fred's tech column had a guest writer who gave a detailed explanation on a company that makes different heat-diffusing and lubrication-holding coatings for piston domes and sides. (not sure if I'm supposed to name them here). has anyone had any experience with this technology? thinking about trying it for my WL top end rebuild. can't hurt, right? or can it? opinions? thanks.

I have their coating on the sides of my pistons. I haven't had any problems. I haven't looked at the pistons so I can't really say if it's helping or not. But I guess it's not hurting. Harley uses late model pistons that are coated so I guess they would't waste the money if it had no purpose . I did not get my piston tops coated as I find it hard to believe that their thin coating could have any better R insulating value than the coating of carbon that accumulates.

Comment

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
      I have their coating on the sides of my pistons. I haven't had any problems. I haven't looked at the pistons so I can't really say if it's helping or not. But I guess it's not hurting. Harley uses late model pistons that are coated so I guess they would't waste the money if it had no purpose . I did not get my piston tops coated as I find it hard to believe that their thin coating could have any better R insulating value than the coating of carbon that accumulates.
      I don't mind a little teflon on the sides, but the ceramic tops attempted in a hobby shop turned into burned taffy. Don't go there!

Comment

Working...
      X