No announcement yet.

Oley Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to fill you all in on a little history of The Antique Motorcycle Club of America.......
    Our four founders patterned our club after the Vintage Motorcycle Club in England, to which they all belonged. Henry Wing Sr. had an overhead valve flat twin Douglas of which he was justly proud. Henry Wing Jr. was never seen on anything but his Scott Super Squirrel. Ted Hodgdon, also president of BSA Inc., (American distributers) had a 1914 BSA which was one of his favorites. Emmett Moore was an Indian fan, but also worked for BSA. All of them, except Wing Jr. had American bikes as well, and non had any hangups about the National origin of their machines. No Japanese motorcycles appeared in those days at AMCA meets, but only because there weren't any around hardly, let alone any built prior to 1930, which was the AMCA rule of the time.
    My first antique motorcycle was a 1912 Indian, which I bought in 1956. It was newer than a 1960 Honda Dream is today. Give the younger guys a chance to play in our sandbox.
    Oley was great as usual, by the way, in spite of the rain. I found some rare goodies for one of my early American projects, and admired the Japanese machines. No oil drips.
    Pete Gagan, AMCA prez.

Comment

Working...
    X